Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to handle Momentum in a VTT Game with rotating cast.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to handle Momentum in a VTT Game with rotating cast.

valid question I think

I run my VTT as Discord + Roll20 - as Discord is main platform ( and Roll20 is used mostly for battles ) , whole text, used abilities, etc. are on Discord channels to find. Present level of Momentum are also on Discord.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 09-22-2021, 02:10 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I don't think I understand the question to be honest.

Comment

In virtual table-top roleplaying over discord, we handle momentum by resetting the pool to 3 at the start of every session and the GM tracks the pool. It's never been a problem.

If your rotating cast is working at cross-purposes, perhaps the best rule would be for each player to have their own momentum pool and track it separately?

Or alternately, have a central document viewable by everyone (e.g. googledoc, roll20 map, discord channel) that is kept updated with all the relevant band details.

Comment

RAW, Momentum resets to 1 per player every session, so it doesn’t impact the game at all having a rotating cast.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
          Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
          Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
            RAW, Momentum resets to 1 per player every session, so it doesn’t impact the game at all having a rotating cast.
            Does it now? I keep forgetting that.

Comment

I run it this way and was gonna quote the relevant sections of the book for people but now I cannot for the life of me find this in Origin or Hero. Can anyone point out where this is?

Comment

It used to be in Origin and in TC Core, but I just can’t find it. Probably changed in some updates before official launch…

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

in a PBP game?

Comment

I run a weekly VTT game, we just reset the pool every week. It starts with an amount equal to the number of the players there that week, the max is twice the number of the players. If someone isn't there that week or we have a guest star, the pool is just higher or lower that week. I've found that method makes the players pretty willing to spend what is in the pool since it resets every session. Also super easy to track as a SG because you just need to reset it.

In terms of mechanically how do you track the shared pool in a VTT situation, I use roll20 and I just create a token for Momentum and a character that all players can control. It has one stat, called Momentum, and when someone spends from it they just mark off how much they spent. Makes it easy since everyone can see and manage it together. It's also handy for initiative tracking since the players aren't rolling to create a slot for each of their characters, but to create a slot for their side. So I just use Momentum and Tension for the PC and SG initiative slots and they decide who uses Focus on which count.

If you're doing PBP or something, I'd recommend one of the alternative Momentum rules from Origin on pg. 133

Momentum Escalation: During playtest, some groups had issues generating Momentum and were reluctant to expend it. The general, preferred mode of play is that the group engage with Conditions and attempt risky rolls in order to generate the communal pool. However, if the group is generating Momentum too slowly, then consider adding a point to the Momentum pool for every scene and for every turn in combat. Don’t reward an Experience for topping off the Momentum pool. Individual Momentum Pools: For groups who prefer a more individualized experience instead of a communal pool, give everyone a separate Momentum pool capable of holding 12 Momentum. These pools are refilled just as normal, except only the character’s actions contribute to their individual pool. Players will have to chase Conditions a little more, but this may be suited to groups that prefer less Argonauts and more Hercules and Ioalus.
                    For Momentum Escalation I'd just set a max size for the pool go with it, average number of players or something. Individual Momentum Pools would probably work really well for a PBP type situation where coordinating spending Momentum as a group would really slow things down, and works well for a rotating cast since everyone manages their pools themselves.

Comment

It used to be in Origin and in TC Core, but I just can’t find it. Probably changed in some updates before official launch…
                      Found the TC rule for this. Wonder if I just transplanted it over to Scion without realizing.
                      Originally posted by Trinity Core Rulebook pg. 73
                      Players share Momentum and start each game with a number of Momentum equal to the number of players at the table. Momentum resets at the beginning of each game. Players may have up to (3 x the number of players) worth of Momentum at a time.

Comment

Tension refreshes every arc, and I've run it with momentum doing the same.

Comment

Working...
                        X