This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brokenimage321 View Post
    I have a couple rules clarification questions, regarding a potential conflict in the Origin rulebook. I've been looking for a while, but can't find any informaiton online. If you could clarify, I would appreciate it!

1. According to my reading of the "Building Legend" sidebar on page 164 of Origin, it seems like Kitsune do not gain a (supernatural?) tail until they gain a point of Legend. Am I correct in assuming that this means that Origin-level Kitsune, without a Legend score, do not have to worry about hiding a tail in human form?

2. If my reading of the sidebar is correct, could you clarify the function of the "Mortal Mask" knack? If I'm understanding the description correctly, it serves two functions: 1) to hide a Kitsune's tail while in human form (which, again, Origin-level kitsune don't have), and 2) to keep them from being automatically identified by another being with a Legend score. Is that right? (I apologize, that just seems a little... underwhelming to me.)

Thanks so much!
    Correct. Mortal Mask probably should have been a Hero-tier Knack.

Making TTRPGs queerer and more culturally diverse since 2016

Comment

What are y'all most proud of in the Scion line? A mechanic you thought clicked, a bit of flavor text or GM advice you think really shined, etc

Comment

Originally posted by nika777 View Post
        What are y'all most proud of in the Scion line? A mechanic you thought clicked, a bit of flavor text or GM advice you think really shined, etc
        Oh, that's a good question.

Honestly, I'm probably most proud of the team. Team Scion continually surprises me with the depth of their knowledge, research ability, and creativity. It's a hard act to balance paying respect to modern cultures, paying respect to Gods, and making sure that the gameplay experiences are still fun.

Comment

The Contacts entry on page 100 of Scion: Origin states:
          A character gains two points per invocation to use to create her Contacts. She can spend these dots on either gaining additional Contacts, or making a single Contact better. Each Contact begins with one dot and one tag (see list of suggested tags below; feel free to add your own special traits depending on your needs). Each additional point placed in a single Contact adds either an additional dot or an additional tag,
          If I understand this correctly, every time I want to "invoke" a Contact, I get two dots to spend to either boost that Contact or create additional Contacts.

So I could have one Contact that starts at one dot and with one tag, and spend the two points to give them a combination of more dots and/or more tags, or I can use one of the dots to gain a second Contact and the other to add a dot or tag to either of them, or I can use both tags to gain extra Contacts, leaving me with three one dot Contacts.

If this is correct, there are some questions this leaves me with:

1). What is the benefit to having multiple weaker Contacts when I can only invoke a Contact once per session?

2). If I invoke multiple Contacts, do all my Contacts have to show up at the same time?

3). Why does the character sheet has lines for Contacts if you're expected to generate new ones each time you invoke your Path?

4). Is there a way to improve your Contacts so you have more dots to spend on them? The Experience chart on page 113 implies you can't.
          Last edited by Shepherdboi; 03-13-2022, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdboi View Post
            The Contacts entry on page 100 of Scion: Origin states:

If I understand this correctly, every time I want to "invoke" a Contact, I get two dots to spend to either boost that Contact or create additional Contacts.

So I could have one Contact that starts at one dot and with one tag, and spend the two points to give them a combination of more dots and/or more tags, or I can use one of the dots to gain a second Contact and the other to add a dot or tag to either of them, or I can use both tags to gain extra Contacts, leaving me with three one dot Contacts.

If this is correct, there are some questions this leaves me with:

1). What is the benefit to having multiple weaker Contacts when I can only invoke a Contact once per session?

2). If I invoke multiple Contacts, do all my Contacts have to show up at the same time?

3). Why does the character sheet has lines for Contacts if you're expected to generate new ones each time you invoke your Path?

4). Is there a way to improve your Contacts so you have more dots to spend on them? The Experience chart on page 113 implies you can't.
            Path Connections are a little finicky with Scion because Paths are less important to Scions than they are for characters in other Storypath games, but essentially yes, that's how it works.

1. Because you have 3 Paths, and each Path provides a Contact. You can invoke each Path once per session, meaning that you can pump up all 3 Contacts in the same session if you want. That naturally encourages you to diversify your Contacts a bit. That said, if you want more than 3 Contacts, because you're in the middle of nowhere and need someone to jump in and offer a hand, it makes more sense for that to be a "new" old friend from back home than it does for it to be an existing Contact who has to drive 200 miles to get to you.

2. They don't have to. In fact, they don't necessarily have to show up in person at all. They might just offer a quick pointer, piece of wisdom, or researched info by text message or something if that makes more sense.

e.g. Dudeface Jones needs to break into a warehouse and FaceTimes his Contact Sneaks McGee (Thief **). Dudeface points his phone at the warehouse and Sneaks suggests raking the door's lock, giving Dudeface a 2 Enhancement to his Subterfuge roll. Once the door's open, a minotaur standing just inside glares at him and picks up a crowbar. Dudeface points his phone at the minotaur and yells for Sneaks to put Facepuncher Vasquez (Dangerous **) on the line. Facepuncher takes a look at the minotaur, notes that she's left handed and not wearing good shoes on a slick concrete floor, and tells Dudeface to duck under the crowbar and try knocking her over. Dudeface gets the 2 Enhancement to that roll and presumably floors Cathy the minotaur on her first day as a security guard.

3. You don't have to write down Contacts who are one-offs, but if you've been investing in a handful of them, you'll probably want to keep their information handy.

4. You don't need to spend Experience to improve your Contacts. By invoking each of your Paths once a session, you can have 3 Contacts, all at *****, with 2 tags each by the end of Session 3. If you pushed your luck by invoking each Path a second time each session and getting Path Suspended for each Path, each session, you could have 3 Contacts, each at *****, with 5 tags each by the end of Session 3. That's kind of a weird munchkin approach to Contacts, but you could do it if you really wanted to have a bunch of top-notch trusted Contacts. Although, if you gamed the system that hard, your SG would be justified in putting one or more of them in peril to make you work a little harder to keep your awesome Contacts.

Comment

Hiiii
              How does creating a new pantheon inside the game story works?

Comment

Hi. Can you tell us what Pantheons are slated to appear in God at this point?

And are there plans to include Pantheons in additional supplements beyond God? Or is there a sense that there would be diminishing returns in terms of adding something new to the game?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                  Hiiii
                  How does creating a new pantheon inside the game story works?
                  Depends on what you mean by that.

If you mean, "How do we make a new Pantheon?" the mechanics and guidance on making a Pantheon (either a wholly original one or one based on a culture) are in Mysteries of the World.

If you mean, "How does The World react to a new Pantheon coming into existence?" then the complete answer will be in God, but the gist is "it depends." My preference is that The World rewrites itself so that the new Pantheon always was, although some folks may still have memories of a time before the new Pantheon existed. But, you aren't locked into my interpretation. Legend does strange things.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskrat View Post
                    Hi. Can you tell us what Pantheons are slated to appear in God at this point?

And are there plans to include Pantheons in additional supplements beyond God? Or is there a sense that there would be diminishing returns in terms of adding something new to the game?
                    I can tell you 3 of the 5; the last two I'm saving for the Kickstarter campaign.

The Zemi of the Taino people of Puerto Rico, Hispaniola, Jamaica, Cuba, the Bahamas, and other parts of the Caribbean,
                    the Balahala of the Visayan people of the Philippines and
                    the Ilhm of the Canaan and Phoenician peoples.

We'll probably have more Pantheon write ups in the future. There's probably something to the idea of diminishing returns, but I feel my role as the line developer carries the implicit task of advocating for people and their cultures; I'm not about to shirk that responsibility. There are plenty of cultures out there who haven't gotten their time in the sun yet.

Comment

Hi there! I have a question for you:

I'm working on a product for the Storypath Nexus, one which would add an American pantheon to the game (e.g., Uncle Sam, The Unknown Soldier, Florida Man, etc.). I'm trying really hard to be culturally sensitive, especially since American politics are... rather fraught at the moment.

I recently heard that Columbia had a writeup in the first printing of the Mysteries of the World supplement, but that it was removed due to political concerns. Do you still happen to have the text for that writeup? If so, would you be willing to share it? Also, could you speak to the concerns that led to her being cut in the first place? (I'd like to be aware of what I'm getting into.)

I know that this is a little more delicate subject than some of the others in this thread, so I'd be happy to continue this exchange via email or PM, if it would make things easier.

Thanks!!

Comment

Not a line Dev; but my understanding is that the write-up was removed because they didn't want it to be “official”. There are a number of us who participated in the mysteries of the world kickstarter, and still have the draft copy from them; ask around, and I'm sure you'll be able to find someone willing to share the relevant text.

Also, there is a republic Pantheon available in the Nexus which also includes a write-up of columbia. As it overlaps with what you're trying to do, you might want to look it over to avoid stepping on toes.

Comment

The issue with Columbia is the topic required way more text than the quick divine patron writeup in the Mysteries of the World draft to give the topic the nuance it requires. Many people felt the MotW text was too quick to just blame her association with Manifest Destiny on bad actors misusing her image, instead of exploring how she and the ideology she represents are inherently inseparable from that history.

As I pointed out at the time, it’s one thing to contrast (for example) Jesus with how people have misused His name to commit atrocities, when you have source texts to contrast those atrocities with, but in Columbia’s case where the political propaganda IS THE SOURCE TEXT, there isn’t some other Columbia you can contrast that with.

(I bring up manifest destiny as the history of the usage of Columbia in that context is pretty overwhelming and bad. The record of her usage with regard to America’s other original sin is a lot better, as her as Phrygian capped Liberty was generally a favored symbol of abolitionists, and hated by slavery-defenders).
                          Last edited by glamourweaver; 04-11-2022, 10:06 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Hiromi View Post
                            I can tell you 3 of the 5; the last two I'm saving for the Kickstarter campaign.

The Zemi of the Taino people of Puerto Rico, Hispaniola, Jamaica, Cuba, the Bahamas, and other parts of the Caribbean,
                            the Balahala of the Visayan people of the Philippines and
                            the Ilhm of the Canaan and Phoenician peoples.

We'll probably have more Pantheon write ups in the future. There's probably something to the idea of diminishing returns, but I feel my role as the line developer carries the implicit task of advocating for people and their cultures; I'm not about to shirk that responsibility. There are plenty of cultures out there who haven't gotten their time in the sun yet.
                            Thanks. As a practicing Buddhist, I'm hoping we'll still get to see the Tibetan Buddhist pantheon that was being talked about at one point. And I'd love to see more Native North American pantheons, though I recognize that may be challenging given the high ethical standards Onyx Path is maintaining in representing the beliefs of living indigenous peoples.

Comment

As God is coming (man, that sounded VERY prophetic), I have a question, not exactly about how it works, but if the book deals with it.

Diferent cultures have different ways they see the gods among us, and I want to know if the book deals with it or if all gods can manifest equally, independent of their myths.

To my limited knowledge, the Theoi can be any form they wish, and belong to the material world, where they were born and grew, while Olympus (the realm, not the mountain) is just the place they call home, while it is kind of anchored to the top of the mountain. Their avatars are part of themselves, manifested by their will as they can be anything, including many things at same time.
                              The Aesir works kind of the same way, they are born in Asgaard, but they are as physical as it’s possible, they can do amazing things, but they are kind of locked in their physical bodies, and only can affect the place they are in (kind of… they have powers and relics to reach further) and they rely on golden apples to live forever (not naturally immortals).
                              The Netjer are different, they don’t walk in the world with their bodies, they are powerful spirits that need people (occasionally animals) to have proper physical bodies, and their natural place is their realm, where they are more solid. Their avatars are part of their powers invested into people (for example pharaohs), and they can have multiple avatars, by splitting their power among multiple subjects.

Basically, Aesir are human-like aliens that use magic and their natural powers to control the elements, Netjer are Wraiths that can manifest in the world by the use of their powers/magic, but still need to control someone else body if they want to be material, and Theoi are formless magical beings with the power to do lots of random things.

I may have a very limited knowledge, and my description is very simplistic, but I am almost sure the way the many cultures see their gods can be described in many different ways that don’t fit the way it was described in Scion 1e.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                              Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                              Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

So, quick question: In the Backer PDF, I noticed that Dominion Boons no longer state that they require spending 2 boon slots to obtain like it did in the manuscript. Is this a mistake, or a mechanical change?

Comment

Working...
                                X