Chase Scences in Scion 2E

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chase Scences in Scion 2E

Like topic name states - How do you run chase scences in Scion setting? What mechanics to take account? Is antagonist really possible to leave active chase?

I think on first idea to run chase as Teamwork versus action. But antagonist is one on his side - players are 3-5 characters helping each other. In Teamwork it's HUGE difference - 1 dicepool against 3-5 dicepools of PCs band...

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Use Milestones. And also make frequent use of Complication Stunts. And also, if you have 3-5 stuffed in a single car, exactly how, from a logical standpoint, can they all be of use? I mean you can have the driver and maybe some people hanging out the side shooting at the bad guys chasing them. But even then, it is combat rolls and not aiding the driver.

Comment

Now my players are chasing villain by foot, so every one of them is running. It's not helping all of them are chasing him?

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ through Ages
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Not unless they split up. Or if some of them are shooting at the NPC.I mean you could have each of them roll their own rolls to see who can catch up to the NPC.
        I mean, tell me how one person running can cinematicaly, and logically, aid another person chasing after the NPC?
        The game is meant to emulate action movies and action shows. So think of how a group of 4-5 people all chasing someone can aid one another in doing so. Unless it is a relay race, then it is not going to be possible.
        They can each compare their rolls against the NPC, sure. But going "Ok, so I am passing on my 2 successes as an enhancement to Player Two." my question, as an SG, would be to go "How? How is your running so fast able to help the next person run faster? Are you two running so fast that Player Two can jump into your slipstream or something? I am guessing probably not."
        Now, if Player One had said "I am taking my two successes and making a Complication Stunt for the NPC" I would then ask "How?" and they can reply with "So, I noticed that there is a load of pipes ahead of him hanging by a wire and I shoot the wire." I would go "Sure. Fine." But then again, I am one hell of a generous SG and I don't make my players roll something like that kind of shot if they are just putting it into a Stunt since they already made the roll in the first place. I just think "Ok, they are all cops and they are chasing the perp down the street. They see that they cannot catch him unless they do something. So the PC pulls out their gun and fires a few rounds until they finally nail that wire and those pipes come raining down. Is the perp able to dodge it? We will know on his turn when he has to overcome that Complication.
        The game is not really about loading up on things and get a huge Enhancement Train a-rollin' down the tracks. But to let them exercise their imagination. How -COULD- a bunch of people running down the street aid one another to catch the NPC? What can be done in that situation? Have you seen it in a movie or tv show? If so, how did that help?
        Even going back to my earlier idea of splitting up. I could see THAT adding Enhancement. For example, you have your four players. They break up into two groups of two. One to cut the bad guy off. Let one group roll to add Enhancement to the other group to emulate cutting the bad guy off. Or else the group that split off could be using the shortcuts to funnel the bad guy and cause the bad guy to double back to let the first group catch the bad guy.
        Last edited by thedonnie; 11-21-2021, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Of course, if they have Knacks and Purviews about speed, then all bets are off. lol

Comment

Would not Epic Strength Purview ( ESP in short ) been some help on the foot chase? Base Chase rules points that characters on foot roll on Might Attribute. ESP description states:
            ' It is supreme raw physical power, allowing those Scions with Epic Strength to utterly overwhelm their
            lessers by force of arms, accomplish deeds of impossible strength, or show up any gym rat who dares try to out lift them.'

ESP
            do not have direct running power - but giving Scion possibility to use Feat of Scale on Legend of his, seems fitting for foot chases, yes?

LGBT+ through Ages
            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Some general idea for foot chases

LGBT+ through Ages
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

ESP seems to fit more for lifting. Now, if the person with ESP wanted to "fastball special" then I can see maybe adding Enhancements or possibly Scale? But I would lean more for Enhancements to someone trying to chase someone else down

Comment

What would be Milestones limit for participants of foot chase? Maybe Athletics dots of escaping side? So if escapee have Athletics 2, basic Milestones number is 2? đŸ¤”

LGBT+ through Ages
                  LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

That needs to be eyeballed depending on the NPC being chased and also how important it is to catch the NPC. If the NPC is skilled or else knows the area well, then that may factor into the milestones. If the route is long, then increase the milestones. If the NPC has an item that the players desperately need, then give them more Milestones to make things more tense.

Comment

Advices from Scion Discord…
                      Which is set by how difficult you, the GM, need it to be
                      • If you need it to be a quick escape, 2 milestones is fine.
                      • If it's more dogged a pursuit, 4 or 5 is better

LGBT+ through Ages
                      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                      X