Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you like to see in a "Mythic America" supplement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you like to see in a "Mythic America" supplement?

I'm working on a custom supplement for Scion 2e that I am eventually hoping to sell on DriveThruRPG. This supplement is partially an update of the Yankee Pantheon from Scion 1e, as well as a number of other gods representing a modern America in a globalized world. I'm happy with what I have so far, but I keep on going back and forth on what I should be including.

Aside from an expanded Pantheon and Pantheon-specific purviews, what would you like to see in a "Mythic American" supplement? Birthrights? Titans? Titanspawn? Terra Incognitae?

Thanks!

America's Terra Incognitae would be good, from the Big Rock Candy Mountain to Ditty-Wah-Ditty America's down home utopian Maroon society.

American mantles, including those mantles trying to redeem themselves.

A few of America's mythic beasts would be grand.

Some examples of older deities from the Native American Traditions that have made special adaptations to modern America. Example: By now Bugs Bunny has a mantle, he'd be about the only cartoon character that would. What Native American tricksters might want that mantle and why could be fascinating.

Comment

The fearsome creatures of lumberjack tales,Iike the hide behind.

And the alien gods of the najavo, which are obviously titans.

And obviously the big rock candy mountain.

Comment

The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota.

The mythical version of Route 66.

The lost State of Franklin.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Maybe some American centric Cryptids like Mothman, the Jackalope, Jersey Devil, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by fereality View Post
            Maybe some American centric Cryptids like Mothman, the Jackalope, Jersey Devil, etc.
            The Red Dwarf of Detroit (yes it is a real thing)

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
              The Red Dwarf of Detroit (yes it is a real thing)
              When Detroit was a French fort the Lutin was there. A rare American fairy, and one that scares gangsters and gang kids alike.

Comment

Although it's brutally hard to get a copy Hal Rammel's "Nowhere in America: The Big Rock Candy Mountain and other Comic Utopias" is a grand source for American Terra Incognitae.

Another book to look at for Mythic America (although the author is a mega creep) is "The Pirate Utopias" by Peter Lamborn Wilson. Vile as the author is, this is an insightful book.
                Last edited by Astromancer; 12-08-2021, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Around 25+ years ago, I came across a sourcebook for some game or another - I can't even begin to guess, it may have even been some weird system-neutral thing - that had a chapter about "The 13th Floor". Basically it was this warped pocket dimension which was supposed to be that missing 13th floor from all the buildings that didn't have them (per the urban legend/folklore). It was sort of goofy in execution, but the idea always stuck with me as an interesting concept.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                    Around 25+ years ago, I came across a sourcebook for some game or another - I can't even begin to guess, it may have even been some weird system-neutral thing - that had a chapter about "The 13th Floor". Basically it was this warped pocket dimension which was supposed to be that missing 13th floor from all the buildings that didn't have them (per the urban legend/folklore). It was sort of goofy in execution, but the idea always stuck with me as an interesting concept.
                    I remember something like that in a couple of books, gaming and otherwise.

Comment

The Mystery Spot in California. Maybe have it be a place where multiple Terra incognita touch and that's why things get wonky.

Comment

Originally posted by omenseer View Post
                        The Mystery Spot in California. Maybe have it be a place where multiple Terra incognita touch and that's why things get wonky.

It remind my a Mystery Shack from Gravity Falls series

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                        LGBT+ through Ages
                        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Always a fun comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                            I've actually been tooling around the idea of a fanfic with the Shack Crew (Stan, Ford, Mabel, Dipper, Wendy, & Pacifica. Maybe Soos.) as a band of Scions. Though really Stan & Ford are Demigods and the kids are heroes. Wendy is the Daughter of a demigod (Manly Dan, demigod Scion of Paul Bunyan) and her mother a Scion who has ascended to godhood.
                            Mostly 1e based as I don't have any 2e books.

Comment

I saw over on reddit r/gravityfalls that Alex Hirsh did Gravity Falls as a homage to Erie Indiana a show from back in the 90's. Does anyone else remember that series?

How about Columbia/Lady Liberty as Nokomis from Longfellow's Song of Hiawatha.

There's the Bunny Man from both Weird Virginia and Chasing American Monsters.

I think of Pecos Bill as a scion of Coyote.

American Indian Myths and Legends mentions the Adventures of Great Rabbit. Known as Mahtigwess among the Passamaquoddy and Micmac. Bugs Bunny could be his mantel in the modern world.

Comment

Working...
                              X