Density of Gods Incarnations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Density of Gods Incarnations

Is more than 5 Gods in bigger city ( 1 mil. ) too much? I run game on Iron / Heroic Myth Level.

For examples, in Almighty Johnsons, TV series, takes place in Auckland, New Zealand, with population around 1,5 mil. By the end of series, it's populated with around at least 20 Gods Incarnations, from 2 Pantheons. However, in Almighty there are no Scions - you are mortal or God, simply as that.

Same notion is taken in American Gods, book and TV, but there density is WAAAAY lower - around whole USA ( circa 330 mil. ) are about 100 Gods of ALL Pantheons.

In Percy Jackson franchise - that is much more Bronze or Silver Myth Level - in New York alone we have 100 Gods and Scions of them.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

The game has tried to avoid answering that question in terms of strict numbers so far. Scions tend to be drawn together by Fate rather than any other factors that would influence population density, so a small town might have five or six while the city next to it has none. (It's like how you can't make any global generalizations based on the fact that the Vatican has 5.9 Popes per square mile.) As a Storyguide, I would say "enough for your players to meet some comparable characters."

If you want to avoid that kind of answer, or don't want to give players the sense that you're making the numbers up as you go, then the best basis for deciding how many Scions are in a place is its religious/mythic/cultural significance instead of its size.

Scion 2E Freelancer: Origin; Hero; Demigod; God; Mythical Denizens; Mysteries of the World; Saints & Monsters; No Gods, No Masters; Once & Future, Realms of Magic & Mystery

Comment

That’s definitely something intended to be dialable by the individual story guide for the feel of the game they want rather than something with a set default.

I will say, for my own table at least, beings with Legend are more likely to encounter other beings and phenomena of Legend than beings without Legend are - that’s just how Fate works. So the population will seem denser the higher your Legend is, while most normal mortals can live their whole lives without knowingly having a first hand encounter with the divine.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

At an Iron level of play, I wouldn’t even set a number. The players encountering a single divine incarnation (or two as befits the narrative they get caught up with, etc) is a story in and of itself at Iron level.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Gods touch infinity. So why shouldn't an aspect/avatar of a deity live everywhere the deity is a living presence in the minds of the people?

Of course Bast in Egypt, Bast in England, and Bast in California, would be very different people. Because the Greek Gods are ubiquitous in not only Western literature but in all literatures influenced by Western literature, they'd be everywhere. All other deities would be more local.

Comment

And that gods can make more when they want/need means you wouldn't really run into a reliable figure. Like sure maybe the Theoi have a tendency to keep an incarnation in their favored locals in Greece, but that doesn't mean that Baron Samedi might not incarnate in Greece because he's been called or something Loa based is going on.

Of course how one goes about the different dials also factors into it. Bit of a different play if the iron is because the gods don't exist properly outside of the mythic worlds, vs something like the American Gods tv show where a not heavily worshipped Odin might have one or two incarnations in the United States proper.

Comment

But if we go 'Fate decides' - Fate may then decide than more interesting story for PCs is to look for the Gods they need - exactly like it's in American Gods. It's great take on the idea, and trope on it's own. Hmmm...

Probably most practical is basing density of Gods on local worship and modern tradition - 'by Fate' is more or less 'Storyguide fiat', in the end. Probably will go with Almighty Jonsons and their Auckland numbers...

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
              LGBT+ through Ages
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
              X