Looking for Vengeance Gods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Vengeance Gods

Among the published pantheons who would best fit the moniker "God(dess) of Vengeance? I have a character and one of his calling titles is "Rage of the Underworld" and I looking for some references as I take him into demigodhood.

The Furies of Greek/Roman Myth fit the bill pretty cleanly and have associations with the underworld to boot. They're not in any published material, but there is a fan supplement on the Storypath Nexus discussing them.

Ishtar/Inanna of the Anunna is a goddess of justice (among her many titles) but in more of a "I will bring plagues, storms, and turn rivers to blood in pursuit of justice" that looks a lot more like vengeance. She also prominently invaded the underworld and threatened to rip open the gates and let the dead walk the earth if she didn't get what she wanted. I think there is a Hittite analogue of Inanna who has stronger associations with justice/vengeance.

Erzulie of the Loa has some aspects associated with vengeance I think, but I'm not very knowledgable about the Loa so I'd defer to someone else on if she really fits. The Loa tend to be mischaracterized so much I'm not sure I trust my cursory google search.
    Last edited by literatzi; 06-30-2022, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Viðarr/Vidar/Vithar is the Norse god of Vengeance.

Petbe is the Egyptian god of Revenge.

Praxidice is the Greek goddess of Judicial Punishment and Vengeance.

I know Petbe and Praxidice have never been officially written up; I'm not sure about Vidar.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
        Viðarr/Vidar/Vithar is the Norse god of Vengeance.

Petbe is the Egyptian god of Revenge.

I know Petbe and Praxidice have never been officially written up; I'm not sure about Vidar.
        Vidar got a writeup in 1e's Ragnarok.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Oh, also Nemesis of the Theoi is the goddess of divine retribution.

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
          Interestingly Praxidice is an epitaph of Persephone in an orphic hymn.

On the topic of weird epitaphs, older representations of Nemesis were basically just Aphrodite, and Nemesis was sometimes an epitaph of Aphrodite. Seems interesting given her possible introduction to the pantheon from the Phonecia Astarte/Mesopotamian Ishtar

Comment

Nemesis was sometimes called "the lady of the apple wheel" and held a wheel made of apple wood.

I know that there is an Hindu deity of vengeance, mainly because a 19th century anthropologist made a case that a Roma deity of Smallpox was the same deity. The Roma goddess of smallpox afflicted those that exploited outcasts or the poor with the pox. But I've long since forgotten either deity 's name.

Note: Although I think all present day Roma in Europe are Christian, or nearly so, as late as the 19th century there were substantial non Christian non Islamic populations of Roma in Europe. Or at least contemporary scholars said so.

Comment

Originally posted by literatzi View Post
              The Furies of Greek/Roman Myth fit the bill pretty cleanly and have associations with the underworld to boot. They're not in any published material, but there is a fan supplement on the Storypath Nexus discussing them.
              Thanks for the plug! I really appreciate it!

Also this is a good motivator for me to really start on this to-do pile of ideas for additional Nexus titles

Erykah Fassett
              "The closer you get to the light, the greater your shadow becomes."

Comment

Working...
              X