Scion: Origin - Whats the deal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scion: Origin - Whats the deal?

Okay, so at Gencon, the rumors hold that Scion: Origin was discusses, and that the book covers a Scion's powers before their visitation. Pre-Hero stuff. I gotta ask, is this true? Because the entire appeal of Scion is the mythological stuff that takes over after the visitation. Anything set before that is going to be a pass for me, I'm in this for my mythic superhero pulp adventure that Scion 1.0 set up so readily. So, um. Some reassurance that we're getting a rad new edition of Scion and not Scion: Slightly Better Than A Mortal But You Ain't All That Yet edition.

Scion: Origin does indeed cover a Scion's life before Hero-hood. It will serve as the foundation book for the line, and be released at the same time as Scion: Hero. For any more details, we'll have to wait for a Scion writer or developer to pop in.

Cavaliers of Mars Creator

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post
      Scion: Origin does indeed cover a Scion's life before Hero-hood. It will serve as the foundation book for the line, and be released at the same time as Scion: Hero. For any more details, we'll have to wait for a Scion writer or developer to pop in.
      So does this mean we need to get Scion: Origin as well as Scion: Hero to play the game?

This is a signature <-----------

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Dragon View Post

So does this mean we need to get Scion: Origin as well as Scion: Hero to play the game?
        Yes, but they'll be complete settings in their own right, even if they're not complete rulesets. Ideally, Hero will be both a full mode of play and the first third of a heroic cycle, and a discussion on how your life changes when your blood turns to ichor. Demigod will build on that foundation, but will also be a full game in its own right. Our goal is to clean, build and expand upon the experience of the first edition of Scion, with Origin underlying the entirety of the line and providing a setting and mechanical backbone so we don't have to explain it all in Hero.

Origin

We're still largely deciding what goes into Origin and what goes into Hero, but the idea is that the bare bones of the mechanical system will be laid out in Origin. The book can be used to create and play urban fantasy stories, and will include the setting(s) for doing just that. If creatures are handled in the book, they'll be beings of myth but low Legend - dryads, satyrs, and the like. And, yes, pre-Visitation Scions, but also holy men and women of the pantheons, sorcerers who seek to steal the power of the gods, and those bound by Fate (your Oedipuses, your Cassandras, your Arjunas). Some of its mechanics will include not just the baseline rules, but also rules for things that cross over and access all three tiers of play - magic and Fate among them.

Hero

Hero will include rules on taking characters from the SCR and giving them their first dot of Legend, with all the powers and Purviews that come with that. Not having to cram a full rule-set into this book means that we've got more space in which to play with things, including a nice, fat variety of powers, and other elements that are Hero-specific.

This is also where you'll see the full mechanical concept of our scaling system, which affects all four books. Moo hoo hah hah!

It also means that we've got space for a big catalog of pantheons, since the basics have been covered in Origin. The original six are returning (though we're talking about heavily changing the Loa),
        going into more depth than Hero 1e did. I'll ask him if we can spoil the rest (since we're talking about more). Ideally, Joe would like to touch on multiple other pantheons per book.

Demigod

Demigod will include rules for bringing our heroes into the Divine tier, including the ability to Invoke their...well, that'd be spoiling too much. Suffice it to say what we're talking about includes stuff on how pantheons are formed, what pantheons actually are, and an exegesis of stuff like interpretatio romana.
        It's definitely going to contain rules for play in mid-to-high Myth locales, such as Touchstones, Terra Incognita and the like, as well as Underworlds; and, of course, demigod powers.

God

Rules for bringing our heroes into the Empyrean tier, with all the power and responsibilities that assumes. More material for play in high-Myth locales, particularly Titan-Realms and Firmaments. And, yes, rules to shake the cosmos and the foundations of Fate.

Neall Raemonn Price
        Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

Okay that sounds perfect. My fears are neatly allayed and I will commence being absurdly excited once again.

Comment

So they're completely rebooting the Game & System? Also will we be able to use stuff from the Scion Companion of the prior edition ( well the basic fluff info) in some of the Sidebars ect as well as the gods--- to audgment this new edition?
            Last edited by Songtress; 11-01-2013, 08:00 PM.

Comment

That sounds very promising! About this scaling system: will it affect the likes of dryads and satyrs and such? Could you play such a creature in a game that advances into Hero and beyond?

Freelancer • Available for work!

Comment

Originally posted by Songtress View Post
                So they're completely rebooting the Game & System? Also will we be able to use stuff from the Scion Companion of the prior edition ( well the basic fluff info) in some of the Sidebars ect as well as the gods--- to augment this new edition?
                Yes and no, respectively. Game and system are being completely rewritten. One of our goals (bolded up in top of our design docs, repeated at every design meeting) is to ensure the good experiences people loved in Scion 1.0 still have a major place in 2.0. You won't be able to use artifacts or gods-as-written, though you could absolutely convert things over, and some of the design decisions that the previous authors made will be carried forward.

Neall Raemonn Price
                Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

I am super-excited. I always though it was really lame that witches, sorcerers and other non-Legendary beings didnt exist AT ALL in Scion. Origin might offer an alternative to things like Adventure! and allow for more pulpy, Jonny-Quest style games.

EDIT: I will say that I hope satyrs, drayds, elves and dwarves aren't playable "races". Scion should be about Scions.
                  Last edited by Telgar; 11-01-2013, 11:16 PM. Reason: addin stuff

I'm a professor! Why is no one listening to me?!

Comment

What are the odds of an Abrahamic Pantheon?

!

Comment

Man... zero, I hope. Abrahamic religions don't have a Pantheon, they're monotheists. Pantheon means multiple Gods and that's the opposite of monotheism.

Comment

There are valid reasons to believe there were at one point polytheistic Abrahamic faiths* with a polytheistic approach, though none currently exist that I'm aware of. It is also unclear how different those would have been from other polytheistic Semitic faiths, which I would love to see some attention but are probably better served from the perspective of Babylonia, whose polytheistic pantheons are better documented.

(* the old testament is unclear on the matter of multiple gods and there are valid interpretations of multiple segments to be implying the existence of multiple gods. Likewise, the biblical tendency of the Israelian people to turn to polytheism shows that to the Israelian people of those times, it certainly wasn't that strange a leap to their mindset.)

All who wish to exist must first accept the existence of things beyond themselves and their current awareness, only then can existence return the favour.

irc.sorcery.net #theonyxpath

Comment

Originally posted by Telgar View Post
                          Man... zero, I hope. Abrahamic religions don't have a Pantheon, they're monotheists. Pantheon means multiple Gods and that's the opposite of monotheism.
                          There could easily be a quasi-Pantheon of Archangels or other important figures in the religion

!

Comment

Let's not get into that argument on these nice clean new forums, okay? Or at the very least, start a new thread rather than derail this one.

Ian A. A. Watson
                            Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

A "pantheon" of angels presents a problem: it presumes the existence of God. A God who really, truly, totally, is MORE Godly than the other Gods. Who is head and shoulders above everyone else in the setting. That's goes against everything else in the setting.

Now a Caananite Pantheon, that has Baal, Dagon, Moloch, Astarte, etc, that could be really cool. But a Pantheon of Lucifer, Jesus, Mary, Gabriel, etc? No, no thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X