Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scion: Origin - Whats the deal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Who's to say God is more Godly than the other Gods in the setting of Scion? He'd be just as Godly as Izanagi or Baron Samedi

    But I'm really vibing on your Caananite Pantheon idea, man. I didn't even think about that.


    !

    Comment


    • #17
      *takes out a stopwatch* That didn't take long at all.

      Back to the topic at hand, I am SUPER EXCITED about the coordination present here. I loved Scion, but it was kind of a hot mess, and I'd like to not have to cobble together mechanics with shoelaces and dreams. Also digging the idea that Origin can provide a Legendless version of Scion for those who prefer lower-powered games.

      I'm happy the core six are returning (particularly the Aztecs, and especially that the Loa are being overhauled). Any ballpark estimates to the number of pantheons we might get? I really want me some Inca

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Egg View Post
        Who's to say God is more Godly than the other Gods in the setting of Scion? He'd be just as Godly as Izanagi or Baron Samedi

        But I'm really vibing on your Caananite Pantheon idea, man. I didn't even think about that.
        Technically I named that first (the Babylonian Pantheon was essentially identical to the Canaanite one, the differences we're aware of smaller than the difference between the Roman and Greek pantheons.)

        Polytheistic Semitic faiths are interesting, such a shame they died when Zoroastrianism, Christianity and Islam started to popularise monotheism in a form that wasn't bound tightly to a single ethnicity.



        All who wish to exist must first accept the existence of things beyond themselves and their current awareness, only then can existence return the favour.

        irc.sorcery.net #theonyxpath

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Ina View Post
          Technically I named that first (the Babylonian Pantheon was essentially identical to the Canaanite one, the differences we're aware of smaller than the difference between the Roman and Greek pantheons.)

          Polytheistic Semitic faiths are interesting, such a shame they died when Zoroastrianism, Christianity and Islam started to popularise monotheism in a form that wasn't bound tightly to a single ethnicity.
          My bad, must have missed your post, probably glossed over it cause no profile picture. But you did definitely mention it first. Kudos to you!


          !

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Egg
            What are the odds of an Abrahamic Pantheon?
            Hotly debated.

            Originally posted by Telgar View Post
            EDIT: I will say that I hope satyrs, drayds, elves and dwarves aren't playable "races". Scion should be about Scions.
            Like I said, the focus is on replicating the experience - but then, things are still in flux at this stage, and it's never wise to close a door too firmly when you might need to walk through it later. Exalted was about the Exalted, but God-Blooded, Heroic Ghosts, Dragon-Kings - they're fan favorites, and they even made an appearance in the 2e corebook. Dryads and nymphs and elementals and kami were the children of the gods, too. Aren't they scions by another name?
            Last edited by Neall; 11-02-2013, 12:09 AM. Reason: Sneaky sneaky


            Neall Raemonn Price
            Beleaguered Scion Developer

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by griffinguy24 View Post
              I'd like to not have to cobble together mechanics with shoelaces and dreams.
              Really, aren't they all?

              You won't, though. A tight system is a big focus point for us.

              I'm happy the core six are returning (particularly the Aztecs, and especially that the Loa are being overhauled). Any ballpark estimates to the number of pantheons we might get? I really want me some Inca
              I could give you a ballpark estimate, but I'm not going to, lest Joe maul me. I will say that the additional (new, rather than Companion) pantheons we're batting around for inclusion are all over the globe in terms of locations.
              Last edited by Neall; 11-02-2013, 12:37 AM.


              Neall Raemonn Price
              Beleaguered Scion Developer

              Comment


              • #22
                Caananite and Babylonian have distinct mythologies, though there are some similarities between them as there are with the Norse and the Greeks. Babylonian and Assyrian and Akkadian and Sumerian are all much closer together, but the Canaanite/Phoenician group is fairly distinct from them.

                As for polytheisitic Semitic faiths, there also the pre-Islamic Arabian Gods. The folks at GBN have fan-published Pantheons for the Elohim (Canaanite), the Anunna (Babylonian) and the Alihah (Arabian). They're pretty good.

                I just can't get behind the idea of playing a Son of Jesus or a Daughter of Satan in Scion. It's got such a different feel.


                I'm a professor! Why is no one listening to me?!

                Comment


                • #23
                  I am hoping for more Pantheons. in other books, perhaps the 'The Great Book of Pantheons!" series ( so they could do a lot of pantheons that could give a lot of flavor and life to other pantheons that are outside the 'main pantheons' . I loved the Companion pantheons it was a good start. Plenty of goood side information in those. Though I do wonder if the Deities of Scion 2.0 willl be able to leave a little bit of divine in their mortal-avatar(?) and raise the child.

                  I always felt strange saying that this kid got adopted or sometihng ( admited one of my Scions was the child of two 'scions' her self ( one her parents slept with the approprietely gendered deitey) but the two scions were married couple and raised the girl as their daughter...

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Neall View Post
                    Like I said, the focus is on replicating the experience - but then, things are still in flux at this stage, and it's never wise to close a door too firmly when you might need to walk through it later. Exalted was about the Exalted, but God-Blooded, Heroic Ghosts, Dragon-Kings - they're fan favorites, and they even made an appearance in the 2e corebook. Dryads and nymphs and elementals and kami were the children of the gods, too. Aren't they scions by another name?
                    I'm pickin' up what you're layin' down, man. Groovy.

                    ... I'd like to see some of these creatures be playable in such a game. More mythology is always a good thing!


                    Freelancer • Available for work!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I am reposting this again in bold and redtext because apparently some people didn't see it.

                      Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
                      Let's not get into that argument [viability of Abrahamic Pantheon] on these nice clean new forums, okay? Or at the very least, start a new thread rather than derail this one.


                      Ian A. A. Watson
                      Onyx Path Community Manager
                      Trinity Continuum Content Lead

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Are there any plans for books beyond the core four, or is that still in flux?


                        Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Not yet, but the opposite isn't true either. Scion 1E was designed as a limited run. Scion 2E isn't, it's just that we're still writing the first book, let alone thinking about what happens after the fourth.


                          Dave Brookshaw

                          Comment


                          • Ina
                            Ina commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'm glad to hear this, will fan feedback have any kind of influence on the direction afterwards?

                        • #28
                          ...how on Earth did Ina comment just on Dave's post? What's going on?! This forum is a strange and alien vista to me.


                          Neall Raemonn Price
                          Beleaguered Scion Developer

                          Comment


                          • #29
                            I for one am looking forward to an updated Tuatha with a more balanced PSP. Neall, I too like the idea of being able to play the children of god+elf or god+nymph as it is solidly found in the myths to begin with and could add some interesting character options.


                            At the end of the day, what works in YOUR story with YOUR players is what matters most. Not what someone on some forum says.

                            Comment


                            • #30
                              I could see human+nymph, like Achilles, but God+Elf would (should) be a Lesser Immortal, not a Scion. Scions need that spark of humanity to be super-special-awesome.


                              I'm a professor! Why is no one listening to me?!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X