Scion: Origin - Whats the deal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rainfall
    started a topic Scion: Origin - Whats the deal?

Scion: Origin - Whats the deal?

Okay, so at Gencon, the rumors hold that Scion: Origin was discusses, and that the book covers a Scion's powers before their visitation. Pre-Hero stuff. I gotta ask, is this true? Because the entire appeal of Scion is the mythological stuff that takes over after the visitation. Anything set before that is going to be a pass for me, I'm in this for my mythic superhero pulp adventure that Scion 1.0 set up so readily. So, um. Some reassurance that we're getting a rad new edition of Scion and not Scion: Slightly Better Than A Mortal But You Ain't All That Yet edition.

• Tashiro
    replied
    I know my sister would get a kick out of it - she's got a dryad fixation, and would love to see a dryad ascend to a greater role. I'm looking forward to converting my Grigori pantheon to 2e, and possibly my Illuminati pantheon.

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    While I applaud the decision to broaden the scope of the game beyond “children of unions of a god and a mortal”, I hope that that option won’t end up getting sidelined by the alternatives. I like the focus on (though not the exclusivity of) people with a foot in both the worlds of the fantastic and the mundane.

Leave a comment:

• Songtress
    replied
    Someone mentioned before that there might speculative 'minor' beings (Nyiads, Dryads, Djinn(?) ( Water,Tree & FIRE!) spirits as playable characters, since they in some mythos are children of gods themselves... could they too ascend through the rankings of Hero-Demigod & finally God? ( Actually that could be quite intereting if there are some modern Nyiads ect.. or Satyrs... even living in the world as 'mortals'.

Leave a comment:

• danelsan
    replied
    Well, at least a few pantheons were not exactly overflowing with marital fidelity in the actual myths, but it would be good to have other options, yes.

Leave a comment:

• Tashiro
    replied
    Good! I'm really happy to see that PCs can be more than 'child of a god and a mortal', and that the 2e isn't going to have the gods all be unfaithful, having affairs willy nilly. And it allows for some interesting variants - ala Percy Jackson, where a virgin goddess can have a child without actually having sex and without adoption. I'm very, very happy for this. I think, perhaps, that was the big thing that pissed me off with 1e Scion - the idea that for some reason most of the gods completely ignored concepts like 'fidelity'.

Leave a comment:

• Ryu
    replied
    On scion origin don't know if it has mentioned before or not (last time I saw the question appear it wasn't answered as far as I know):
    Anything known if there will be previews of things before the game comes out like it was with the latest nwod things?
    (thus like in demons or vampire)

Leave a comment:

• Wickedgrail
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post

does not completely determine your powers.
    I don't know if I could ask for some more explanation but it worked that way, even in Scion 1°, didn't it? Even a Scion of Aphrodite could use Purviews.

Leave a comment:

• marin
    replied
    Thing is, bringing up the subject of Christianity in Scion in a thread has a habit of swallowing the thread whole, which's the last thing we want in a thread about Origin and previews in general. Have a look for the 'Abrahamic pantheon?' thread further down the forum.

Leave a comment:

• Aermas
    replied
    I'm sorry I'm kinda new to the forum but very interested in Scion. But what's so wrong about a "Pantheon" of the Seven Archangels? They each have their own niche Michael is a warrior, Gabriel is a messenger, Raphael is a healer, Uriel is a attributed to the Sun. They could fit in very easily with Purviews & such. Anyone who is touchy about the Scions being direct descendants could just explain more as being chosen to do the Angel's work.

If not them then perhaps the Grigori? Azazel & his ilk. Though I would say that they make better use as replacements for the Titans

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    *rubs hands gleefully*

Leave a comment:

• marin
    replied
    Huh. So is God-born set to be a character option?
    Last edited by marin; 02-15-2014, 05:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Brookshaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Solarious View Post
    Dave Brookshaw has mentioned elsewhere that he's prototyped the new Legend system wherein you can see a familial line of descent from Zeus to Ares to Eros, but the Scion is hardly a clone of the God.
    I don't know if I'm okay to describe it in more detail, but Scions and Gods are treated the same way. Your Origin (whether it's "God-born son of Nyx and Chronos", "God-born daughter sprung from the brow of Zeus", "Scion born of Ares and a mortal", or "Scion adopted by Aphrodite") influences but does not completely determine your powers. It's one ingredient.

Leave a comment:

• PHGraves
    replied
    Originally posted by bwgustaf View Post
    So are gods seen through a christian lens the same as supporting monotheism? i'm inclined to say yes. and what about christian legends that became something more? (like leviathan, for example)
    That is a really interesting question.
    For one of the myriad "Scion & Christianity" threads.

Leave a comment:

• bwgustaf
    replied
    So are gods seen through a christian lens the same as supporting monotheism? i'm inclined to say yes. and what about christian legends that became something more? (like leviathan, for example)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X