Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which New Pantheons do you want?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • So, just to keep the record straight:

    Starting Pantheons:
    Greco-Roman
    Egyptian
    Norse
    Japanese
    Aztec
    Yoruba
    Irish
    Vedic
    Chinese
    Algonquian

    Stretch Goal Pantheons:
    Persian
    Gaulish
    Haitian

    Demigod Pantheons:
    Slavic
    Mesopotamian
    Polynesian
    Navajo
    Mayan

    Likely for unconfirmed future releases:
    Incan
    Inuit
    Canaanite
    Tagalog
    Welsh
    Lakota
    Guarani
    Siberian
    Mongol-Turkic
    Australian Aboriginal

    My Top Ten Unmentioned Pantheons:
    Hopi
    Arabic
    Hittite
    Bantu
    Korean
    Haida
    Finnish
    Taino
    Indonesian
    Tibetan

    If all of this happens I think I'll be set for life.

    Comment


    • I have an idea but unfornutaly it would have to be fictional. What about an caveman pantheon? The gods that were worshipped in the day we have evolved enough to be able to worship anything? How would they be like?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
        I have an idea but unfornutaly it would have to be fictional. What about an caveman pantheon? The gods that were worshipped in the day we have evolved enough to be able to worship anything? How would they be like?
        Depends what you mean by "cavemen". If you're imagining the media image of humans grunting, afraid of rain and their own shadows, and otherwise behaving little differently from animals - pre-cognitively-modern humans probably didn't worship anything. Cognitively modern-humans (appearing approximately 40-50 thousand years ago) probably had animistic beliefs similar to those seen in most later hunter-gatherer societies through history.

        It's possible one could designate that the Titans arising separately from the Primordials corresponds to the rise of cognitively-modern humans (lower to upper paleolithic), and the Gods arising separate from the Titans correspond to the agricultural-revolution (paleolithic shift to neolithic).


        Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

        Comment


        • Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

          Depends what you mean by "cavemen". If you're imagining the media image of humans grunting, afraid of rain and their own shadows, and otherwise behaving little differently from animals - pre-cognitively-modern humans probably didn't worship anything. Cognitively modern-humans (appearing approximately 40-50 thousand years ago) probably had animistic beliefs similar to those seen in most later hunter-gatherer societies through history.

          It's possible one could designate that the Titans arising separately from the Primordials corresponds to the rise of cognitively-modern humans (lower to upper paleolithic), and the Gods arising separate from the Titans correspond to the agricultural-revolution (paleolithic shift to neolithic).
          that's a great idea

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Wannabe Demon Lord View Post

            If all of this happens I think I'll be set for life.
            Considering that one of the achieved stretch goals was for fans to publish their own material, I suspect all your bases will be covered.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
              One thing this thread has impressed on me is just how many potential Pantheons there are: the devs are unlikely to run out any time soon. With that in mind, I'd be curious to know which Pantheons you don't want to see (or at least which ones you're fine with being postponed indefinitely), and why not. Try to focus on Pantheons that you like, but would still not recommend because they are in some way problematic and/or redundant.
              This is actually pretty hard for me, since 'rare' pantheons are my favourite ones, but I'll try.

              Well, for one, I don't think we should be seeing any Neo-Pagan pantheons. I personally think of things like Wicca as being more of a counter-culture movement than a legitimate religious belief, but that aside I just don't feel like they actually have a place in Scion. I mean, most of the Neo-Pagan gods are just gods from pantheons already in the game, with maybe some small changes to reflect a more modern 'flavour', so that's already a strike against most of the possible pantheons that could show up from it. There's also the fact that, in The World of Scion, the pagan religions re still around and so it doesn't make sense for Neo-Pagan movements to even exist, let alone spawn independent panntheons. Ultimately, though, I feel like Scion is a game about Ancient Mythology that just so happens to be set in the present era, and so things like "The Great Goddess" or "The Horned God" just shouldn't be there - they don't have a place.

              That said, I wouldn't be upset if there was some sort of Neo-Pagan pantheon added to the game. I wouldn't go rioting in the streets and demanding Onyx Path remove it. I'd just acknowledge it and, unless it's really good, not use it in my games very much if at all. If I got to choose how to include some 'new' Neo-Pagan gods into the game, though, I'd probably have them be either Mantles of pre-existing gods, minor identities taken on by some Scions upon reaching Demi-God level or, maybe, have them as villains - the 'Mother Goddess' wanting to destroy all the patriarchal pantheons sound like a good hook?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Crying View Post

                This is actually pretty hard for me, since 'rare' pantheons are my favourite ones, but I'll try.

                Well, for one, I don't think we should be seeing any Neo-Pagan pantheons. I personally think of things like Wicca as being more of a counter-culture movement than a legitimate religious belief, but that aside I just don't feel like they actually have a place in Scion. I mean, most of the Neo-Pagan gods are just gods from pantheons already in the game, with maybe some small changes to reflect a more modern 'flavour', so that's already a strike against most of the possible pantheons that could show up from it. There's also the fact that, in The World of Scion, the pagan religions re still around and so it doesn't make sense for Neo-Pagan movements to even exist, let alone spawn independent panntheons. Ultimately, though, I feel like Scion is a game about Ancient Mythology that just so happens to be set in the present era, and so things like "The Great Goddess" or "The Horned God" just shouldn't be there - they don't have a place.

                That said, I wouldn't be upset if there was some sort of Neo-Pagan pantheon added to the game. I wouldn't go rioting in the streets and demanding Onyx Path remove it. I'd just acknowledge it and, unless it's really good, not use it in my games very much if at all. If I got to choose how to include some 'new' Neo-Pagan gods into the game, though, I'd probably have them be either Mantles of pre-existing gods, minor identities taken on by some Scions upon reaching Demi-God level or, maybe, have them as villains - the 'Mother Goddess' wanting to destroy all the patriarchal pantheons sound like a good hook?
                As a former Wiccan, I have to disagree with the idea that the followers of said religion do not have a legitimate religious belief. That said, I agree that a Wiccan pantheon wouldn't make much sense without it being either new Mantles or new gods behind it. If they did make one, though, I'd be curious to see how they'd pull it off.


                Currently working on: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action
                Projects I've contributed to: C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

                Comment


                • I beleive Welsh is mentioned for demigod, if not part of the core book, then as a supplement. I'm excited, as thats teh one involving king arthur, and the Plant don.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                    I have an idea but unfornutaly it would have to be fictional. What about an caveman pantheon? The gods that were worshipped in the day we have evolved enough to be able to worship anything? How would they be like?
                    IIRC, Neil Gaiman's American Gods touches on this, with a segment about the mastodon god-totem of one of the first tribes to cross the Bering Straight land bridge.


                    What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

                      IIRC, Neil Gaiman's American Gods touches on this, with a segment about the mastodon god-totem of one of the first tribes to cross the Bering Straight land bridge.
                      I love that part of the book,the interludes were amazing

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post

                        I love that part of the book,the interludes were amazing
                        I think it's been 8 years or so since I read it, and the mastodon bit was one of the parts that really stuck with me. That, the trading hammer blows with the Czernobog (which immediately reminded me of seeing Sword of the Valiant on TV when I was a kid), and Mr. Wednesday and Easter's conversation with the neo-pagan girl (which gave me an idea for an Ex Misc House in Mage's Order of Hermes). And the fact that the final battle takes place a few miles from my house.

                        On another topic, it occurs to me that Scion needs something like Nightside's Street of the Gods. Or at the very least a Punk God of the Straight Razor.


                        What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

                          I think it's been 8 years or so since I read it, and the mastodon bit was one of the parts that really stuck with me. That, the trading hammer blows with the Czernobog (which immediately reminded me of seeing Sword of the Valiant on TV when I was a kid), and Mr. Wednesday and Easter's conversation with the neo-pagan girl (which gave me an idea for an Ex Misc House in Mage's Order of Hermes). And the fact that the final battle takes place a few miles from my house.

                          On another topic, it occurs to me that Scion needs something like Nightside's Street of the Gods. Or at the very least a Punk God of the Straight Razor.
                          Let's not stop there,we need an Walking Man!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                            Let's not stop there,we need an Walking Man!
                            I'm pondering some sort of modern pantheon built on archetypes like the Man With No Name, The King of Pop, Big Brother and the like.

                            Or maybe a Gods of Rock pantheon, with Elvis, Michael Jackson, David Bowie and so on.


                            What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

                            Comment


                            • I've given it a LOT of thought, and come to the conclusion that America doesn't have an OFFICIAL pantheon, and never really can. The First Amendment kinda precludes that. BUT, it DOES have it's own cultural Heroes, and a few (mostly younger) deities that act as it's representatives in the Overworld, and as it's protectors. Columbia is America's diplomatic/civil power; Uncle Sam represents the military/industrial complex, etc.
                              Last edited by Mangle77; 03-25-2017, 08:07 PM.


                              Comment


                              • Hmm. American Pantheon … Ben Franklin, George Washington, Fredrick Douglass, Abe Lincoln, Davey Crockett, Thomas Edison, Harry Houdini, Susan B. Anthony, Amelia Earhart, Gen. George Patton, Elvis Presley, John Wayne, Lucile Ball, and Martin Luther King?

                                Or, alternately, Uncle Sam, Columbia, Billy Yank, Johnny Reb, Lady Liberty, Brother Johnathon, High John the Conquerer, The Nameless Cowboy, Raoul Duke, and The Wild One.


                                What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                                Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X