No announcement yet.

Which New Pantheons do you want?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An "American pantheon" would be just as valid and worthy of space and word count as an Atlantean one. Take that whichever way you want.

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple Snit View Post
      An "American pantheon" would be just as valid and worthy of space and word count as an Atlantean one. Take that whichever way you want.
      Eh. Personally, I think the Atlanteans were the better choice as the example for 2e's 'how to do your own pantheon', being basically a pantheon created from scratch. Besides, there's always community content for American pantheons.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

• Agreed. I actually didn't mind the Atlanteans. They fit in with the mythological theme, and would make a much better "how to" pantheon than the faux Bogovi that was in the 1st edition Companion. The nationalistic ones would work as fan-based (basically, a group of modern-day Scions made it to the top of the heap), but I'm not in favour of them taking up space in the main books.

As for new pantheons - I would like to see Asian pantheons that aren't Chinese or Japanese. How about Korean or Vietnamese (for example)?

Comment

As for new pantheons - I would like to see Asian pantheons that aren't Chinese or Japanese. How about Korean or Vietnamese (for example)?
          Well, technically, the Hindu Pantheon is in Hero too But yes, I would really like to see the Korean Pantheon, as well as the Tibetan. I also have a soft spot for the Arabian and Inuit Gods

Comment

• Eastern Siberia would be kind of cool. I admit I know next to nothing about the culture, but still.

Tengrism (from Mongolia and parts of Central Asia), on the other hand, I do know a little bit about, and I think you could do some interesting stuff with it.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

• Oh, yeah - Tibetan would be good. And the Arabian Gods (pre-Islam).

Comment

• Generally I'd like more 'obscure' pantheons to show up, since those are my passion.

And Asian mythologies are generally way more obscure than European or even Native American ones, so I'd like more of those to show up.

Specifically, I'd like at least one Southeast Asian pantheon.

Comment

• Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

Slavic Pantheon is coming in Demigod.

Why would we do that? Algonquian is coming in Hero, but that doesn't stop anyone from doing anything else. North America is an entire continent! You wouldn't advocate for a 'European Pantheon,' would you?

I think Neall has mentioned wanting to do Lakota and Inuit Pantheons down the line.

I didn't actually know that there were going to be more pantheons coming in the Demigod book. This was an update I did not recive in my email as a backer and quite frankly there's way to much chatter in these forums for me to even know where to look for a proper update from an offical staff member.

I'll be your Huckleberry

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dude View Post

I didn't actually know that there were going to be more pantheons coming in the Demigod book. This was an update I did not recive in my email as a backer and quite frankly there's way to much chatter in these forums for me to even know where to look for a proper update from an offical staff member.
                    http://www.ttrarchive.com/store/inde...:_What_We_Know

In short, according to what Neall has said so far: Demigod will have Mayan, Slavic, Mesopotamian, Polynesian, and Navajo, with Canaanite as a stretch goal and the Welsh likely getting their own book.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Agreed. I actually didn't mind the Atlanteans. They fit in with the mythological theme, and would make a much better "how to" pantheon than the faux Bogovi that was in the 1st edition Companion. The nationalistic ones would work as fan-based (basically, a group of modern-day Scions made it to the top of the heap), but I'm not in favour of them taking up space in the main books.
                      Agreed, I like the idea of fan made pantheons for nationalistic ones, with maybe a few specific gods from, say the american pantheon, being either mantle of another god or abstract concepts and folk heroes that make up the whole thing. So basically, you could have a bunch of demigods roaming the overworld for the other pantheons.

Like America would have archetypes/the characters of Davy Crockett, Pecos Bill, Johnny Appleseed, Paul Bunyan, Justice, Liberty, Comlubia, Uncle Sam, and maybe a small section based around sleepy hollow(just cause i can see at least 3 folk hero characters from there)
                      At least in my mind.
                      (i would love to play a Ron Swanson-esque character thats a son of Paul Bunyan, Uncle Sam or one of the three ladies. just for kicks)

Comment

• An idea for an American "Pantheon" that I've tossed back and forth with a friend of mine?

​America doesn't have a true "pantheon" ruling it. What it has is a collection of folk heroes who are all Scions of various Pantheons who made names for themselves over here. Of these Scions, very few of them (if any) have achieved true godhood yet. They're all still Demigods, at best. Thus? They don't have a Godrealm yet and aren't powerful enough to be considered a real threat to the other Pantheons, so they're largely ignored. This "American Pantheon" works behind the scenes within the country, trying to shape it into what they think it should be. Obviously, many of them have conflicting views as to just what that should be.

​Because the Pantheon isn't a true Pantheon of Gods yet, their ranks actually continue to grow. New American Scions who do well may eventually receive an invitation to join the growing Pantheon. Since they don't live in the Overworld, it's actually possible for Scions in America to actually encounter these Demigods as they go about their business. They have an actual Council of some type that can be found in an actual, physical location somewhere in the USA. Washington D.C., most probably.

​You can use historical figures and/or folk legends to establish the ranks of the "American Pantheon," and they should come from just about any Pantheon whose people had any significant presence in American history. There could be some Native American Scions in the group, although they may retain loyalty to their original Pantheon, acting more as "ambassadors" to the Americans. Theoi Scions are probably very prominent in the group, as are Tuatha Scions, Aesir Scions, Orisha/Loa Scions, etc.

​We drew inspiration from this idea from the TV show "Sleepy Hollow." In the most recent season, they established that America had had a group of special people who fought to protect America from supernatural threats back in the day. The group included "Uncle Sam," the butcher who was the original inspiration for the character we know today. He was shown heading out to battle with two big ass meat cleavers as his weapons. Sacajawea was on the team, as was Daniel Boone (by that time a Senator in the US government,) and there may be on or two others that I'm not remembering right now.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
                        Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

• I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I'd like to see the pre-colonization gods of the Philippines.

I stand with the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe against the North Dakota Access Pipeline https://www.facebook.com/ajplusengli...0139732127536/
                          Please sign the petition: https://t.co/42VMYy7WzA

Comment

• Originally posted by unnatural1 View Post
                            ​We drew inspiration from this idea from the TV show "Sleepy Hollow." In the most recent season, they established that America had had a group of special people who fought to protect America from supernatural threats back in the day. The group included "Uncle Sam," the butcher who was the original inspiration for the character we know today. He was shown heading out to battle with two big ass meat cleavers as his weapons. Sacajawea was on the team, as was Daniel Boone (by that time a Senator in the US government,) and there may be on or two others that I'm not remembering right now.
                            I forget where I read it, but someone once made the observation that Davey Crockett was one of the last people to turn into a full blown legend during his own lifetime. He'd be an interesting Scion.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

• Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

I forget where I read it, but someone once made the observation that Davey Crockett was one of the last people to turn into a full blown legend during his own lifetime. He'd be an interesting Scion.
                              I would dispute that. I think Harriet Tubman,Nikolai Tesla, Nancy Wake, and Otto Skorzeny all qualify as being pretty mythologized in their own lifetimes well after Crocket.

Edit: oh! Bass Reeves whose mythology had to be stripped from him so Hollywood could have a white Lone Ranger!
                              Last edited by glamourweaver; 05-11-2017, 08:43 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Edit: oh! Bass Reeves whose mythology had to be stripped from him so Hollywood could have a white Lone Ranger!
                                That's apparently a myth, presumably derived from one biographer describing him as "a real life Lone Ranger" or something to that effect. And he was created in Detroit for a radio serial drama.
                                Last edited by No One of Consequence; 05-11-2017, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X