Ask Neall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask Neall

A thread for asking Scion 2E writer Neall Raemonn Price about the next edition.

(Check here first to see if your question's already been answered.)

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Nice Q&A compilation; i'm very grateful to whoever did it, and to you, Marin, for linking it here.

First and foremost, i have to ask one thing, though: Is Neall comfortable with you creating a specific thread to question him? Seems (to me) a little intrusive if he has not said something about it.

And secondly, putting away any social niceties : Oh Neall, writer of the Gods! Tell us as much as you can about Lugh of the Tuatha dé Dannan and how he is the pure essence of awesomeness!!! (what? are you implying my main character is a Scion of Lugh? ... Hell yeah ) Can you share with us his Purviews? Maybe a little spoiler about his mantles? Any special moment while writing about him that you'd be happy to share?

In truth, any little detail would do... and bigger chunks of information would be great!

Userhat Aegpts Vlrs. Coren "Ojos de Fuego". Mithrael. Menehet.

Comment

The question was asked in the 'What Pantheons do you want to see', and permission was gained.

If we are getting information on Lugh the long handed, I believe we can stretch the offering to cover information about The Dagda as well. Any information you can share?

Blue is sarcasm. If I suggestion I make contradicts in-setting metaphysics please ignore me, I probably brought in scientific ideas. Appearance 5: for when you're REALLY concerned with your PC's bust size.

Comment

Ohhh something I was wondering, in the Scion: Origins book...that's the mortal book right?...I'm assuming regular everyday people and pre-visitation scions will be covered in that book, are there any other "types" of mortals that will be covered by Origins? Like somebody whose grandfather was a faun, or comes from a linage of sorceresses?

Edit: ok ignore this, it was the very first question on the what we know page oops

And, yes, pre-Visitation Scions, but also holy men and women of the pantheons, sorcerers who seek to steal the power of the gods, and those bound by Fate (your Oedipuses, your Cassandras, your Arjunas).
        Last edited by SpruceStripedGoose; 05-19-2015, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Ok a proper question, is it still the plan to use the 1e hero, demi-god, and god covers for the 2e books? Those were the best White-Wolf covers ever so I would personally be happy to see them again...but on the other hand I can see how it could be confusing on drivethru to have two lines of very different books with identical covers. I'm imagining the confusion if the new edition of D&D had the same covers as 3.5, especially when you can still find 3.5 on sale in some places.

Comment

Originally posted by Phersus View Post
            Nice Q&A compilation; i'm very grateful to whoever did it, and to you, Marin, for linking it here.

First and foremost, i have to ask one thing, though: Is Neall comfortable with you creating a specific thread to question him? Seems (to me) a little intrusive if he has not said something about it.
            I'm good with it; said so in the thread.

And secondly, putting away any social niceties : Oh Neall, writer of the Gods! Tell us as much as you can about Lugh of the Tuatha dé Dannan and how he is the pure essence of awesomeness!!! (what? are you implying my main character is a Scion of Lugh? ... Hell yeah ) Can you share with us his Purviews? Maybe a little spoiler about his mantles? Any special moment while writing about him that you'd be happy to share?

In truth, any little detail would do... and bigger chunks of information would be great!
            Lugh Lámhfhada, a grand-Scion of Dian Cecht and god-born Scion of Cian and Ethniu, is definitely in the corebook, along with the rest of the Irish pantheon. The Origins signature character is actually a Scion of the Dagda, the Red Man of All Knowledge. Right now, the plan is for Lugh to have had a toe in the Gaulish pantheon before it was destroyed, and had especially good relationships with Taranis, Esus, and Toutatis. He may, or may not, be related to Lleu Llaw Gyffes, we haven't really decided yet - "a God named Lou who is strong with a bright hand" seems like a no-brainer, but a lot of their stories and relationships are completely different, so it may be more of a case of Taranis having a beard and thunderbolts. But, we're not even to first drafts yet.

The Welsh/Britannian pantheon is something else entirely. I really hope we get to cover all of Celtic and Brythonic myth, I really do. You should see druids, bards and vates in Origins.

Ok a proper question, is it still the plan to use the 1e hero, demi-god, and god covers for the 2e books?
            Yes, and Origins has a fourth cover to match.
            Last edited by Neall; 05-19-2015, 09:23 AM.

Neall Raemonn Price
            Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

Good stuff!

I like to hear that druids are finally getting a write up. I always saw that as an omission that sorely needed to be addressed.

Mankind was once an endangered species. It will likely be so again. And mankind will only have itself to blame.

Comment

Originally posted by SpruceStripedGoose View Post
                Ohhh something I was wondering, in the Scion: Origins book...that's the mortal book right?...I'm assuming regular everyday people and pre-visitation scions will be covered in that book, are there any other "types" of mortals that will be covered by Origins? Like somebody whose grandfather was a faun, or comes from a linage of sorceresses?
                Descent from Legendary creatures is something I really want to have in there.
                Last edited by Neall; 05-20-2015, 09:31 AM.

Neall Raemonn Price

Comment

We know that Gods will be able to belong to several pantheons, but what about Scions? Could gods from different pantheons have a god-born child and could that child belong to both pantheons?
                  Also, could a mortal without divine blood become a Scion, by being adopted by a god, drinking amrita, eating a golden apple, or any other mean?

I stand with the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe against the North Dakota Access Pipeline https://www.facebook.com/ajplusengli...0139732127536/
                  Please sign the petition: https://t.co/42VMYy7WzA

Comment

Originally posted by Neall View Post
                    Yes, and Origins has a fourth cover to match.
                    This actually reminds me of another question now that I think about it. Dr Aaron Tigrillo/Itztli Ocelotl is the signature character on the cover of Scion: God, and he always highlighted something weird to me, why do so many of the modern scions revert to ancient motifs when they become gods? In Scion becoming a god is the point where you are equal and independent from your parent, so it always struck me as strange that that was the point when many scions look far more like their ancient parents than their own modern interpretation of what a god should be.

Comment

This actually reminds me of another question now that I think about it. Dr Aaron Tigrillo/Itztli Ocelotl is the signature character on the cover of Scion: God, and he always highlighted something weird to me, why do so many of the modern scions revert to ancient motifs when they become gods? In Scion becoming a god is the point where you are equal and independent from your parent, so it always struck me as strange that that was the point when many scions look far more like their ancient parents than their own modern interpretation of what a god should be.
                      Probably for social reasons; after all a Scon reaching godhood is still a young, inexperienced and probably rather weak deity, without the raw power or influence of more ancient gods. As such they'll probably often want to fit in with the rest of the pantheon rather than try to stand out.

I stand with the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe against the North Dakota Access Pipeline https://www.facebook.com/ajplusengli...0139732127536/
                      Please sign the petition: https://t.co/42VMYy7WzA

Comment

Most of the Scions in 1e are doing what Anteros said - taking up a junior position within their parent's pantheon. In that case, you're dealing with hundreds - and often thousands - of years of cultural baggage and mores. Keep the "desert ranger" duster, Harshihar, but you better wear your Nemes headdress around the Ennead if you're going to deign to speak to them.

I suspect that Scions creating their own pantheon can wear whatever they like, as long as it's sufficiently majestic.

Neall Raemonn Price

Comment

In alot of religions and cultures doing something so drastically individualistic would be somewhere between socially illegal (in their societies) and monumentously impious. It also raises the question of basic respect. Do you not respect the culture and traditions from whence you come? Its especially egregrious now that your an actual god to your people, your held to a much higher standard as a representation of both your family, pantheon and even your entire culture.

Comment

Will you be reaching out to members of the Scion community to assist with Playtesting and Stress Testing the mechanics (under an NDA possibly)?

Comment

Originally posted by Neall View Post

Most of the Scions in 1e are doing what Anteros said - taking up a junior position within their parent's pantheon. In that case, you're dealing with hundreds - and often thousands - of years of cultural baggage and mores. Keep the "desert ranger" duster, Harshihar, but you better wear your Nemes headdress around the Ennead if you're going to deign to speak to them.

I suspect that Scions creating their own pantheon can wear whatever they like, as long as it's sufficiently majestic.
                              Shouldn't it be the Ennead deigning to speak to Harishar? If he comes in with his headress on and then treats all the Great Gods as if they should be honored he showed up to spend his valuable time with them.... I think there would be some smiting.

Comment

Working...
                              X