No announcement yet.

Ask Neall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the difference between the Prophet and Sage Callings/Knacks?

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
    [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
    [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

• Originally posted by vonpenguin View Post
      So, is a calling related crisis something like a crisis of faith where the Scion questions their calling and possibly comes ot all the stronger for it (For an example of what I mean see every superhero at least once)?
      Yes.
      Originally posted by Tiresias
      What's the difference between the Prophet and Sage Callings/Knacks?
      Sage Knacks don't have to do with Fate, but knowledge and knowing the World.

Neall Raemonn Price
      Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

• Originally posted by Neall View Post
        Sage Knacks don't have to do with Fate, but knowledge and knowing the World.

You know, in hindsight, I feel very silly for not thinking of this.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
        [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
        [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

• I can see how you'd make that mistake. I can almost imagine that the Sage calling was like "Scholar" at some point, but Sage feels grander.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neall View Post
            The Welsh/Britannian pantheon is something else entirely. I really hope we get to cover all of Celtic and Brythonic myth, I really do. You should see druids, bards and vates in Origins.
            Would it be possible to get an idea of what those three might look like? I'm particularly interested in bards, so anything on them would be especially cool.

Also, thanks for all the great answers and discussion in this thread.

Comment

• Do you have any cooking themed boons in the works? Will artistry(cooking) be a valid purview?

Comment

• Hm, so we have a few names of Fatebound roles...

Hey Neall, feel like sharing more of the Fatebinding types? Is there one that would fit, say, 'A pre-Visitation friend who now serves as the eye-rolling voice of reason and restraint in this crazy new world?'

Would that be Boon Companion as mentioned in the Fate teaser from last July?

Edit: ALSO! Would it be possible for a Mortal to be Fatebound by multiple Scions? Like, could a Boon Companion of one Scion meet up with the Band, interact, and get impressed by the party Sage and want to learn from them, becoming Fatebound to the Apprentice role?
                Last edited by Kyman201; 03-05-2017, 06:51 AM.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                  Would it be possible for a Mortal to be Fatebound by multiple Scions? Like, could a Boon Companion of one Scion meet up with the Band, interact, and get impressed by the party Sage and want to learn from them, becoming Fatebound to the Apprentice role?
                  I can't think of any examples in actual ANCIENT myth, but in comicbooks, (arguably the closest thing to MODERN myth) I can think of four: Jimmy Olsen, Rick Jones, Snapper Carr, and Amadeus Cho.

"A free society is one in which it is safe to be unpopular."
                  I find Nick Spencer and Richard Spencer to be equally repulsive.

Comment

• Originally posted by trebius View Post
                    Will artistry(cooking) be a valid purview?
                    How else would Andhrímnir do his thang?

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                      How else would Andhrímnir do his thang?
                      I thought it could have fallen under Forge, since I vaguely recall seeing a distinction of "Useful stuff is Forge, aesthetic/creative stuff is Artistry"

... Cooking is kind of a middle ground, ain't it?

And now I'm imagining a Scion simply called the Cake Smith.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                        Edit: ALSO! Would it be possible for a Mortal to be Fatebound by multiple Scions? Like, could a Boon Companion of one Scion meet up with the Band, interact, and get impressed by the party Sage and want to learn from them, becoming Fatebound to the Apprentice role?
                        Multiple Fatebindings

Most of the time, an SGC can only be Fatebound to one character, and only as one archetype at a time. If you’ve got a large group or your players are triggering Fatebindings often, though, that can lead to supporting cast bloat. In that case, it’s okay for one character’s Paramour to be another’s Rival, for example. Be mindful of creating schisms within the group, and avoid it unless party infighting is your desired goal.
                        Also, any Resolution of a Fatebinding Condition that removes the character from play must have the consent of all players whose characters are Fatebound to that character. Even if the other PCs are mortal, by virtue of being the protagonists they’re immune to being Fatebound to other PCs. Effectively, they’re already Fatebound to themselves.

Fatebinding other PCs

Don’t. Fatebinding is a tool to tie Storyguide characters into a Scion’s story, not a tool to force potentially-unwanted relationships on other players. While Storyguide characters exist to serve the story, PCs are solely under the control of their own players. Even though Fatebinding isn’t mind control and any character can resist Fate’s path, it’s still potentially coercive to dictate another PC’s relationship to your own.

Neall Raemonn Price
                        Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

• Alright, thanks Neall. That fits perfectly.

Comment

• I wonder if Jotunblut will be anywhere in the game (an Aesir knack maybe)?

It was a bit of a stretch to hang the entire PSP on it, but I kind of was fond of it.

Comment

• How will members of pantheons who don't really fit the pantheons virtues work? Like for instance Hermes, as he doesn't really fit Egotism or Storge to a large degree (he has a little bit of both, but not to the same level as other Theoi)

Comment

• Originally posted by SdeSpencer View Post
                                How will members of pantheons who don't really fit the pantheons virtues work? Like for instance Hermes, as he doesn't really fit Egotism or Storge to a large degree (he has a little bit of both, but not to the same level as other Theoi)
                                ​I believe such gods are prone to having the Liminal Calling...

"A free society is one in which it is safe to be unpopular."
                                I find Nick Spencer and Richard Spencer to be equally repulsive.

Comment

Working...
                                X