Ask Neall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wickedgrail View Post
    So, you're saying only physical power can destroy a Relic... that's discrimination!! More seriously, I don't think it's a bad idea, but again, can it be done again by another character? If a NPC wants to do the same thing to a PC, will it be possible? Or another PC. And the thing is, if you discuss this kind of matter at your table, it is not a "surprise" anymore.
    It'd be theoretically possible, but it'd require setting things up, and players would have to keep their OoC knowledge out of character.

Go for the remembering details but bonus points? Seems not enough as a reward... and see? That's the thing: it can be destroyed but imagination is only rewarded by bonus points. I would not bother doing so... I mean, it's risky for... not much.
    Well 'bonus points' would probably take the form of extra experience points. I assume that experience points are still a thing in Scion 2. Also, y'know, success at destroying the Bad Guy's Relic O' Doom.

But my point is when a player wants to harm another player, let's say a Scion of Loki wants to get revenge on her Band. If destroying Relics is a valid rule, then this player would want to do the same against her Band, right? It will not be fair if she's only allowed to steal it because destroying it would probably be a death penalty. I also understand that if every player wants to do that, will be trouble too.

Let's say the storyline of this Scion of Loki is actually to get even with her Band. Now that the Scion of Brigit got what she wants, the Scion of Loki is not happy because her teammate should have not been able to protect herself from the dragon that the Scion of Loki tried to summon via a pact made with the Titans. How would you deal that issue?
    This? It depends. If the Scion of Loki was going to turn traitor the whole time, then maybe, but I wouldn't feel comfortable springing that on my players. If this came about from friction in the game developing into the Loki Scion's player coming up to me outside of game time and saying "Okay look my character's gonna want to turn against the Band and destroy their Relics" I'd just take a moment to boggle at how it GOT this way.

If it was a planned storyline, I might have cleared it whole-cloth with my players at the start of the game. Just "Okay, so... For this game, while your Relics are tough, there ARE certain circumstances where they can be destroyed. If they are, I'll be sure to have some kind of refunded XP or a quest or side-story that will recompensate you for the loss. Is that okay with everyone?"

If the Loki Scion's player just wanted to turn on the group and that WASN'T planned, they just don't like the group and want to fuck with them, I absolutely would not allow that. Instead we'd have a sit-down and talk at the next game about if this is something that can be fixed. Worst case scenario, I may ask the Loki Scion's player to leave, if there's no way for them to all get along.

If the Loki Scion's player declared that they were summoning a dragon to attack the others without even talking to me about it, I'd stop the game and say "No, no you don't get to destroy [Player's Relic] like that."

See, I like to CHALLENGE my players. Throw them for loops, push them, see what happens... But I'm not one of those old school AD&D sadistic GMs that views the players as enemies that need to be crushed. I think that mindset is an outdated relic that should not be considered the norm. I like to challenge my players, but I don't want to be a dick to them. And destroying something that most likely is an integral part of the character, that was bought with XP, a Quest Reward, or with your Chargen Relic Dots, without permission and without compensation? That's being a douchebag. A HUGE douchebag.

It also ties into my big mindset with running games. I'm not much of a (ugh I hate using these terms after seeing so many egotistical jerkbags using them) simulationist. I don't really think of the laws of physics within the game world. For me, most decisions I make come down to one thing. "How does this serve the story?" or "How can this become its own story?"

Destroying a player's Relics and saying "Yeah, sucks for you, but I'm the GM my word is law, no you don't get refunded" doesn't do much to enrich the story. Another player going "Fuck you guys, I'm breaking your stuff" with no other purpose doesn't enrich the story. If it's done due to OoC conflicts, then something has gone WRONG.

So, I guess the answer to your point... Is I don't PLAN on that happening because at my table with my players (many of whom I've known for years) one backstabbing the others isn't something that'd happen unless it was part of the plot, and even then I'd preface the whole damn game with "Warning - Relics may be at risk here, but you WILL be recompensated".

But, getting back to that hypothetical... Yes, theoretically a Scion of Loki COULD use sufficiently mystical means to destroy the other Player's Relics. Doing so without the permission of other players would result in me pulling rank and stopping the game, and reserving the right to say "Okay that whole thing? With the bottled flames of Muspelheim being thrown at [Blank's] magic deck of playing cards? Never happened."

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• Cool story, y'all.
      Maybe move this to another thread?

Comment

• So, uh, relics can be destroyed, just like Followers and Creatures killed, pissing Guides off, etc.

Pissing a Guide off is an escalating series of Conditions, as are the others (to lesser degrees). If they get sundered altogether, Sanctity of Birthrights kicks in, and you get to spend your dots on something else.

Neall Raemonn Price
        Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

• Originally posted by PHGraves View Post
          Cool story, y'all.
          Maybe move this to another thread?
          Probably a good idea, yes. Sorry, I can get tl;dr sometimes.

Pissing a Guide off is an escalating series of Conditions, as are the others (to lesser degrees). If they get sundered altogether, Sanctity of Birthrights kicks in, and you get to spend your dots on something else.
          Thanks for the ruling, Neall, sounds perfectly fair.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neall View Post
            pissing Guides off
            Is it weird that I want an entire book chapter dedicated to this? It just sounds so fascinating.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
            [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
            [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

• Originally posted by Neall View Post
              So, uh, relics can be destroyed, just like Followers and Creatures killed, pissing Guides off, etc.

Not sure to understand the sentence clearly. Um, We can reuse dots of Birthrights if they are destroyed?

Comment

• Yes, it means that points that a player has are always the player's in some fashion.

Fool's Corner Productions: Where we review Video Game, and eventually tabletop RPGs

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

I'd have to do an analysis on how powerful the fires of Mount Doom are compared to FiendFyre, and idly wonder if Mount Doom is a magical volcano or if it's simply the only volcano in the map of Middle Earth, would a regular volcano have destroyed the One Ring? Did Sauron use his dark powers to harness Mount Doom, thus making the crater of it a magical workspace that allowed him to forge the One Ring? Because if it's a magic volcano then yes it could probably destroy Voldemort's Horcruxes.

Granted, given Sauron's very nature, I'm sure that if Sauron himself got hold of one of the Horcruxes he could crush it in his grip and destroy the soul within.
                  ​Not to continue derailing this thread, but perhaps I should clarify: I figure Voldemort's Horcruxes are basically a weaker version of the One Ring, in that they both serve as repositories for a portion of their creator's essence/lifeforce/soul/spirit/ Kaibit/whatever. So whatever can destroy a piece of a Maiar's soul should have no problem with a tiny sliver (he made, what, 8 of them?) of the soul of a mortal sorcerer with delusions of grandeur.

​Also, even if being thrown into a volcano isn't enough to destroy a Relic; unless the owner of said Relic has Fire Immunity, or a LOT of Epic Stamina, that Relic is effectively lost to them.
                  Last edited by Mangle77; 04-23-2017, 03:23 AM.

"A free society is one in which it is safe to be unpopular."

Comment

• Originally posted by KingCarnival View Post
                    Yes, it means that points that a player has are always the player's in some fashion.

oh cool, forgive me then. My bad.

What about Birthrights as rewards? Let me explain. One of my player received a Guide as an in-game gift. He lost him as a sacrifice to protect his grandmother. Does my player get to "earn back" the dots of the Guide?

Comment

• So... what would someone like The Lady of Pain from Planescape be in Scion terms?

A Primordial? A particularly strong Titan? Or is there not an equivalent in Scion's cosmology?

Comment

• Could we create a Terra Incognita? I'm imagining it being a Journeys miracle, probably God or maybe Demigod-level. Or is there something else more appropriate?

Comment

• Can a dead Mortal become divine after death? Outside the Shen?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• You've mentioned before that the open war between gods and titans from 1e is more of a tense cold warish climate. Is there still and overall "Thing" in the setting that most bands will become involved in in some way? Or is it the standard DnD model or "you're awesome, there are adventures to be had! Go forth!" While the latter is great most of the time sometimes it helps to just have that initial hook to start with.

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                              Can a dead Mortal become divine after death? Outside the Shen?
                              It's happened elsewhere too (among the Òrìshà, for example), although it has a weird retcon effect that calls "after death" into question as a concept. "Time is an ocean in a storm," etc.

Currently Writing Scion and Geist for Onyx Path, and many other things for other publishers
                              Crowdfund Me Tha Illiad of MC Homer: a hip hop translation of Homer's Iliad

Comment

• Originally posted by vonpenguin View Post
                                You've mentioned before that the open war between gods and titans from 1e is more of a tense cold warish climate. Is there still and overall "Thing" in the setting that most bands will become involved in in some way? Or is it the standard DnD model or "you're awesome, there are adventures to be had! Go forth!" While the latter is great most of the time sometimes it helps to just have that initial hook to start with.
                                It's sort of a Cold War in the aggregate and more of a Global War on Terror in the specifics, in that the setting and system's definition of Titan are actually slightly different.

It will become more of A Thing as the line goes on.

Neall Raemonn Price
                                Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

Working...
                                X