Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask Neall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by xhepablo View Post
    What place is there for the gods of all of these new religious movements in the world, like the UFO cults, Ascended Master teachings, cyber-deities (XaTuring, anyone?), Maria Lionza type regional deities, and more?
    From what we've seen of the way Scion's Gods operate, there really doesn't seem to be any reason to find a 'special' place for them... they have the exact same place as all Gods... if the ST wants them to exist, they exist, if not they don't. The system by which Gods are represented seems more than adequate to model them, and any special quirks or deviations can be modeled into PSP powers.

    It seems like a potential place for a future supplement, if the line authors ever want to tackle it, though admittedly not one I'd be personally very interested in. As for how they relate to other Pantheons... well that's another area best handled in the supplement where they come out... after all, the Deva Preview didn't include their thoughts on the Mayan or Slavic or Korean Pantheons, since those haven't been written up yet.

    Comment


    • I'm still not clear on what the "Liminal" Calling refers to. There are a lot of liminal figures who don't have it. Is it exclusively for psychopomps and underworld gods? So Janus, for example, despite being literally the god of the threshold, wouldn't have it?


      Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

      Comment


      • Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
        I'm still not clear on what the "Liminal" Calling refers to. There are a lot of liminal figures who don't have it. Is it exclusively for psychopomps and underworld gods? So Janus, for example, despite being literally the god of the threshold, wouldn't have it?
        Looks a bit more complicated than that, on a quick search through the previews - it's certainly not limited to psychopomps and underworld gods, and not all underworld gods have it. Here's the list:

        Quetzalcoatl, Chantico
        Agni, Ganesha, Yamaraja
        Anpu, Ptah, Thoth
        Eshu, Oshossi, Oya, Sonponna
        Sun Wukong
        Hades, Hermes, Persephone
        Donn, Manannan mac Lir, the Morrigan


        Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

        Comment


        • Yeah, but under what definition of liminal is Dionysus, god of that which is foreign and other, transgresses gender and the self, NOT liminal; but both Quetzacoatl and Yamaraja are?
          Last edited by glamourweaver; 10-01-2017, 03:38 PM.


          Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

          Comment


          • Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
            I'm still not clear on what the "Liminal" Calling refers to. There are a lot of liminal figures who don't have it. Is it exclusively for psychopomps and underworld gods? So Janus, for example, despite being literally the god of the threshold, wouldn't have it?
            I think that might be a side effect of the Three Calling Limit... Liminal deities by definition do a bunch of other stuff, since they are 'in-between' Gods, meaning they have a bunch of potential Callings... Shiva, for example, is very definitely a Liminal God, but I'm stumped as to which of his current set to dump to make way for it since those all make sense for him. I think this leads to the situation where Psychopomps and Underworld Gods (who are 'double-dipping' in Liminal, so to speak) are the ones who very clearly have it and a whole bunch of other Gods have picked up Knacks from it.

            Out of curiosity, which other figures revealed so far do you think should have it but don't, and which of their current Callings would you replace?

            Also, as question for the devs... how complicated is the process of picking up Knacks from Callings outside your main three?

            EDIT : Wait, Dionysus doesn't have it?...(Runs off to check Theoi Preview)... well, I'll be damned, I think I must have subconsciously just given him Liminal and not even noticed that he had Leader.
            Last edited by Samudra; 10-01-2017, 02:54 PM.

            Comment


            • Also, looking through that list, I have an opposite question... why does Chantico, whose write-up spends half of itself describing her connections to banks and protections, not have Guardian, but does have Liminal?

              Comment


              • I can't remember - is the Companion supposed to cover Tutelary deities, and thus presumably having a specific "location" as a purview (i.e. as god of this neighborhood, I'm very powerful over it, but that power doesn't extend over anywhere else)?

                (alternatively it occurs to me that possessing a location as its divine spirit might work nicely as the PSP of the "Numina", the indigenous gods of Italy not subsumed by the more powerful narratives of the Theoi... the greatest remaining number of whom is obviously Janus)


                Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

                Comment


                • I was just thinking on how the Yazata and Orisha would get along on the point of mutual suspicion: malicious sorcerers. Theological texts and the myths declare the main servants of the Daevas to be the Yatus (wizards) and Pairikas (witches), who conduct themselves in sorcery instead of ritual and theurgy.
                  Last edited by xhepablo; 10-02-2017, 06:38 PM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                    I can't remember - is the Companion supposed to cover Tutelary deities, and thus presumably having a specific "location" as a purview (i.e. as god of this neighborhood, I'm very powerful over it, but that power doesn't extend over anywhere else)?

                    (alternatively it occurs to me that possessing a location as its divine spirit might work nicely as the PSP of the "Numina", the indigenous gods of Italy not subsumed by the more powerful narratives of the Theoi... the greatest remaining number of whom is obviously Janus)
                    It does cover tutelary deities, from what Neall's said.


                    Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by xhepablo View Post
                      I was just thinking on how the Yazata and Orisha would get along on the point of mutual suspicion: malicious sorcerers. Theological texts and the myths declare the main servants of the Daevas to be the Karapans (wizards) and Partigans (witches), who conduct themselves in sorcery instead of ritual and theurgy.
                      I can't seem to find anything on the Partigans, is there another transliteration I can Google?


                      But sexually.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by marin View Post

                        It does cover tutelary deities, from what Neall's said.
                        I wonder if that means we’ll see location as purview.


                        Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Ellis View Post
                          I can't seem to find anything on the Partigans, is there another transliteration I can Google?
                          My bad! It was late at night and autocorrect was likely kicking in! The terms you're looking for are Yatu and Pairika. I've edited the original post to fix that mistake.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

                            I wonder if that means we’ll see location as purview.

                            Awhile back, didn't Neall mention that the relevant purview for a would-be tutelary deity was Prosperity (to bring prosperity and security to the people you're acting as patron to)? (That said, it's entirely possible that the focus has changed since he said that...)
                            Last edited by yukikaze; 10-03-2017, 12:09 AM.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by yukikaze View Post


                              Awhile back, didn't Neall mention that the relevant purview for a would-be tutelary deity was Prosperity (to bring prosperity and security to the people you're acting patron to)? (That said, it's entirely possible that the focus has changed since he said that...)

                              Ok cool - that still leaves me wondering if "Possessing a place" is a viable PSP concept then, or if that'll be covered elsewhere. As I said, my first thought on where to apply it would be the PSP of the indigenous gods of Italy - hence Romans not having a strong sense of an Overworld their gods dwell in (rather associating them directly with their temples or the forests/fields/springs they represented) outside of when Olympus comes up in stories they directly crib from the Greeks.
                              Last edited by glamourweaver; 10-02-2017, 09:27 PM.


                              Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post


                                Ok cool - that still leaves me wondering if "Possessing a place" is a viable PSP concept then, or if that'll be covered elsewhere. As I said, my first thought on where to apply it would be the PSP of the indigenous gods of Italy - hence Romans not having a strong sense of an Overworld their gods dwell in (rather associating them directly with their temples or the forests/fields/springs they represented) outside of when Olympus comes up in stories they directly crib from the Greeks.

                                It'd be interesting if that kind of thing was explored, either as a purview or as some other kind of mechanic.

                                If they were going to start introducing additional purviews, the Companion is as likely a place as any to do it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X