Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask Neall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Iry View Post
    Will you be reaching out to members of the Scion community to assist with Playtesting and Stress Testing the mechanics (under an NDA possibly)?
    The plan is to have a bit of Open Development, too, but we definitely want to have dedicated playtesting teams.


    Neall Raemonn Price
    Beleaguered Scion Developer

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Ajax View Post

      Shouldn't it be the Ennead deigning to speak to Harishar? If he comes in with his headress on and then treats all the Great Gods as if they should be honored he showed up to spend his valuable time with them.... I think there would be some smiting.
      Yeah, I misspoke there. That's what I get for posting without coffee. They would deign to speak with him.

      But keep wearing the headdress.


      Neall Raemonn Price
      Beleaguered Scion Developer

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Neall View Post
        The plan is to have a bit of Open Development, too, but we definitely want to have dedicated playtesting teams.
        Awesome! Please let us know whenever we can start signing up for the dedicated playtesting teams! Thank you, sir.

        Comment


        • #19
          Personally, I like the image of Doctor Tigrillo wearing a mix of something Atzlanti with a modern lab coat. The lab coat is a powerful modern symbol -- almost mythic -- and Fate might help him establish respect for it among the Gods. On formaql pantheon occasions, sure, go in full Atzlanti drag. But in his Overworld hospital, he wears the lab coat because that's what healers wear.

          (One episode of Radio Lab included a discussion of the symbolic power of the lab coat. "Getting The Coat" is an important part of graduating from medical student to doctor.)

          Neall: You mention characters descended from mythic creatures other than Gods. Will it be possible to play those mythic creatures themselves? IE play one of the Alfar, or a giant that's switched from Dark Virtues.

          Dean Shomshak

          Comment


          • #20
            I had misread it to mean you would be playing a minotaur, not the descendant of one... oh the possibilities... WANTS THE PRECIOUS!!!


            Call Me Ray.

            Southern Gothic - Welcome to New Calais

            Who Wants to Live Forever – Highlander in the World of Darkness

            Comment


            • #21
              I've got a question, something that's been bugging me since Hero came out, actually. Will there be a full list of Merits/Backgrounds to help round out a character mechanically or will it still be left to the player to come up with narratively, and if so, will they be a separate thing from Birthrights or would Birthrights be a subset of Backgrounds/merits.


              Call Me Ray.

              Southern Gothic - Welcome to New Calais

              Who Wants to Live Forever – Highlander in the World of Darkness

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Dean Shomshak
                Neall: You mention characters descended from mythic creatures other than Gods. Will it be possible to play those mythic creatures themselves? IE play one of the Alfar, or a giant that's switched from Dark Virtues.
                That's the hope - satyrs get brought up as a favorite - though I don't think it'll be fully covered in Origins and Hero. I know that Percy Jackson has raised a few eyebrows around here, but a character like Grover Underwood, albeit with a far more mythic and classical overtone, is a PC - one who progresses from Greek to Roman depictions by "earning his horns and hooves". Alfar or sidhe descent should be possible, too.

                Originally posted by Gnomish American View Post
                I've got a question, something that's been bugging me since Hero came out, actually. Will there be a full list of Merits/Backgrounds to help round out a character mechanically or will it still be left to the player to come up with narratively, and if so, will they be a separate thing from Birthrights or would Birthrights be a subset of Backgrounds/merits.
                One of the things I think Scion 1e did well mechanically was cutting out what didn't fundamentally matter to the world; a strict Resources Background, for example, didn't actually matter for a story about the divine. If you were a jet-setting celebrity, you just were; if you were a god of the homeless, you just were. That said, one of the things Sardonyx does is provide almost Merit-like hooks for individual organizations and the world, something you can buy into to increase your story purchase in the setting (though it can also be increased narratively). Birthrights are still a mostly separate thing, though they're very intertwined..
                Last edited by Neall; 05-22-2015, 11:32 AM.


                Neall Raemonn Price
                Beleaguered Scion Developer

                Comment


                • #23
                  Cool, thanks Neall! (And if anyone wants a depiction of Greco-Roman lesser immortals that's very much *not* Grover Underwood, I recommend the works of Thomas Burnett Swann. It's a creative misinterpretation of Greek material, but suggests interesting possibilities.)

                  And mad props to Marin, too. I really have no further questions. Scion 2 is looking more exciting than anything WW/OP has done in, well, years, really.

                  Dean Shomshak

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Neall View Post
                    I know that Percy Jackson has raised a few eyebrows around here, but a character like Grover Underwood, albeit with a far more mythic and classical overtone, is a PC - one who progresses from Greek to Roman depictions by "earning his horns and hooves".
                    The Percy Jackson books are a series I have a love/hate relationship with, conceptually the world the characters live in is really cool and I would even say even on par with some of the best children's fantasy out there, but the series really talks down to its readers, the plots are transparent to the degree that more often than not you know exactly what is going to happen next in every scene.

                    Will we see any younger Scions in the new edition? I'm trying to think if there have been any before but I am coming up blank. Scion highschool or summer camp could be pretty fun.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      So aside from the Tuatha and the tenth pantheon, who're both getting new signature characters, what's happening with the sigs? Given the original covers are sticking around, that means the original Band will be coming back too, right?


                      Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        What is the coolest purview power you feel has been written so far? What does it do?

                        Are there any new purviews? Or any of the older ones being dropped?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by SpruceStripedGoose View Post
                          Will we see any younger Scions in the new edition? I'm trying to think if there have been any before but I am coming up blank. Scion highschool or summer camp could be pretty fun.
                          I don't think that's entirely the tone we want to go, but the new core does involve the possibility of alternate settings and changes in tone using the core mechanics. I don't see why you couldn't use the mechanics to play a Camp Half-Blood game, even if the setting proper doesn't entirely support it.

                          Originally posted by marin
                          So aside from the Tuatha and the tenth pantheon, who're both getting new signature characters, what's happening with the sigs? Given the original covers are sticking around, that means the original Band will be coming back too, right?
                          The three cover sigs, at least. They were probably the most interesting characters of the signature Band, though obviously that's my opinion.

                          In terms of supplemental rules text and maybe a Ready-Made characters packet, sure.

                          In terms of a 30-page fiction in the corebook, no.

                          Originally posted by Scutarii
                          What is the coolest purview power you feel has been written so far? What does it do?
                          Reply hazy! Ask writer again in a month or two.


                          Neall Raemonn Price
                          Beleaguered Scion Developer

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by SpruceStripedGoose View Post

                            Will we see any younger Scions in the new edition? I'm trying to think if there have been any before but I am coming up blank. Scion highschool or summer camp could be pretty fun.
                            <Ahem> I know it's Neall's thread, but... Some years back, I ran a campaign called "Scion High" and it worked very well. I ran it as a teen supernatural action/soap opera, though, as seen on The CW, very much in the spirit of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Smallville, or the Vampire Diaries. Scions in a modern high school, mixing their adventures with cars, dating, afterschool jobs, etc. The titanspawn all attended the rival high school.

                            Dean Shomshak

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              How hard will it be to push the war between the Gods and the Titans into the background and just run it as a game of pulp urban fantasy with mythic heroes?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Neall
                                There's a bit of the Mage powerset that's really informing the development of Scion2e, and four members of Team Mage(s) are on Team Scion, so I think the concepts will translate well for your group
                                I'm assuming that “Team Mage” refers to Mage: the Awakening, as opposed to Mage: the Ascension?

                                More generally, are there any spoilers you can provide about how Magic will work in Scion 2e? I know we're going to have sorcerers in Origin; and presumably magic will be tied to whatever mythology the practitioner subscribes to. But as I understand it, there are vast differences between the rune-based magic of the Norse people, Voodoo/Hoodoo/Santiera/etc., Egyptian mysticism, the Hermetic magic of Greek descent, Shinto priests, and Aztec blood magic, just to mention the most common magical practices associated with the original six Scion Pantheons — so much so that whole games can be (and have been) written about just one of them. How are you going to address this in Scion such that the magic rules only take up a portion of Scion Origin but still manage to capture the distinct flavors of these different belief systems?


                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X