Ask Neall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Neall View Post
    They're there, and they're Paths you can take. Some are pure Antagonists.
    I'm sorry to be the eternal nag to point that out, but isn't it absolutely and expressly forbidden to talk about skinwalkers in the cultures their stories originate from (Diné/Navajo and related cultures)? I think J. K. Rowling herself recently caught a lot of flack from Native Americans over including them in her American wizardry concepts. I know Scion 2e put a lot of effort into getting the Manitou respectful and right, so I'm a bit surprised about that. Or is there a specific strategy for dealing with that prohibition? Or were you just referring to shapechangers in general in that question, and not to skinwalkers specifically?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sacerdos View Post

I'm sorry to be the eternal nag to point that out, but isn't it absolutely and expressly forbidden to talk about skinwalkers in the cultures their stories originate from (Diné/Navajo and related cultures)? I think J. K. Rowling herself recently caught a lot of flack from Native Americans over including them in her American wizardry concepts. I know Scion 2e put a lot of effort into getting the Manitou respectful and right, so I'm a bit surprised about that. Or is there a specific strategy for dealing with that prohibition? Or were you just referring to shapechangers in general in that question, and not to skinwalkers specifically?
      Doesn't there have to be some loophole there for the stories to exist at all?

Comment

• Couple miscellaneous questions.
        If an incarnation has a child is that child a scion as well, and if so are they considered scions of the main god?
        Is Izanami considered a god or titan in 2nd. Just wondering cause she's kind of been a little controversial among the scion base and I might have considered being a scion of hers.
        You have to share one calling with your divine patron, but at origins you only get one calling. Does that one calling have to match one of your divine patrons or can that come at hero level?
        Are Created scions available at origins tier, or does the act of being created by a god automatically put you into hero tier?

Comment

• Originally posted by vonpenguin View Post

Doesn't there have to be some loophole there for the stories to exist at all?
          The loophole is mostly white people snooping in stuff they're not supposed to snoop in, once again. I expect there are experts among the Navajo, healers and such, who have to deal with knowledge about these horrible creatures because of their occupations, but that is secret knowledge that doesn't concern outsiders, especially non-Navajo outsiders.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sacerdos View Post
            I was referring to shapechangers in general and not to skinwalkers specifically. I plan on addressing the Navajo later on, but this - like many other marginalized religions - relies on my finding someone willing to talk about it and share things for the purposes of a game. Scion is an odd sort of cultural primer, but in the sense that it is, I want the culture being transmitted to be a true expression. If the Diné don't want to talk about skinwalkers, I'm not going to put something in there that's an express secret of a living religion.

Neall Raemonn Price
            Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

• Originally posted by Turtle314 View Post
              Couple miscellaneous questions.
              If an incarnation has a child is that child a scion as well, and if so are they considered scions of the main god?
              Yes - in fact, most Scions are the children of Incarnations. In the intro story to Hero, Eric Donner meets another Scion of Thor, the son of a different Incarnation of his father. 0
              Is Izanami considered a god or titan in 2nd. Just wondering cause she's kind of been a little controversial among the scion base and I might have considered being a scion of hers.
              She's considered a Primordial deity. You can still be a Scion of hers, you'll just have a very different relationship.
              You have to share one calling with your divine patron, but at origins you only get one calling. Does that one calling have to match one of your divine patrons or can that come at hero level?
              Yes.
              Are Created scions available at origins tier, or does the act of being created by a god automatically put you into hero tier?
              They're not available at Hero tier normally, but there's language in Hero that gives your express permission to just wake up on the beach naked if that's the kind of character you really want to play.

Neall Raemonn Price

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                Do you remember if they can go powerful enough to be Legend 7 like kitsunes?
                The only ones we have in there are therianthropes, various were-creatures. My general feeling is that most of them cap out at the Hero level.

Neall Raemonn Price

Comment

• Originally posted by Not Quite Yoda View Post
                  Now the system is complete, do you think people will typically be able to begin campaigns as soon as the text file gets sent out and still receive Demigod before it's game-relevant?
                  I'm looking to do a lot of open development on Demigod, so hopefully. There's a built-in plateau in Hero, though, so you can keep games going at that level for a while.

That said, things change at Demigod - in some ways, it's a different game. The difference between Hero and God is actually kind of stark at this point in the design phase. It still uses Momentum and Storypath and the like, but you're going from street-level divine heroes to conceptual incarnations of reality. Maybe a bit bigger.

Neall Raemonn Price

Comment

The only ones we have in there are therianthropes, various were-creatures. My general feeling is that most of them cap out at the Hero level.
                    Nice,thank you

Comment

• Originally posted by ElanConnor View Post
                      Is the character sheet ready? There is some heavy change between the 1d and 2d (related to the sheet)? Are the 30 abilities the same? The epics are no more squares on the sheet, now are like boons, right?
                      Oh, there's some heavy changes. Epics are indeed Boons (you'll see the three physicals and Epic Appearance as Beauty). There's a new and highly condensed Skill list.

Neall Raemonn Price

Comment

• What are the consequences of gods visiting the world without Incarnating,just going here with all their power? what happens?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                          What are the consequences of gods visiting the world without Incarnating,just going here with all their power? what happens?
                          They tend to invoke Fatebinding far more strongly, and occasionally blow up nearby mortals who are doing nothing but looking at them without protection.

Neall Raemonn Price

Comment

They tend to invoke Fatebinding far more strongly, and occasionally blow up nearby mortals who are doing nothing but looking at them without protection.
                            That's Suitably Epic. I like it.
                            Althought of couse,it's real sad for gods who loves their faithful and want to be close to them.

Comment

I'm looking to do a lot of open development on Demigod, so hopefully. There's a built-in plateau in Hero, though, so you can keep games going at that level for a while.

That said, things change at Demigod - in some ways, it's a different game. The difference between Hero and God is actually kind of stark at this point in the design phase. It still uses Momentum and Storypath and the like, but you're going from street-level divine heroes to conceptual incarnations of reality. Maybe a bit bigger.
                              If that's how you'd describe heroes and gods, how would you describe demi-god gameplay?

Comment

• Originally posted by vonpenguin View Post

If that's how you'd describe heroes and gods, how would you describe demi-god gameplay?
                                Neall said it's about : "Culture heroism and the end of the hero's journey in a few ways." (Neall) [512]

Comment

Working...
                                X