Ask Neall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post

The impression i got is less that they are meant to be a Band. But to show that even with the same callings you can still have very different characters.
    Ah, so they're... not a pre-gen party, then? Since I can't imagine most groups wanting to play with that much overlap?

Comment

• Neall how are you handling shields? Weapons with an ability to count as hard or soft armor? Or simply add dice to Defence depending on the size?

EDIT: Oh, and am I right in presuming that with Attributes one dot is around human Average?
      Last edited by The Eternal Keeper; 01-29-2018, 08:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post
        The impression i got is less that they are meant to be a Band. But to show that even with the same callings you can still have very different characters.
        The Scion of Loki isn't even a legal character, as Loki lacks the Healer Calling...

Comment

• Neall I notice that some of the deities have a relative lack of purviews (Frigg for instance has only 2) compared to the average (and especially compared to some others), with a couple lacking any attribute related ones at all. I find this especially noticeable with a major deity like Freyr who are seemingly out muscled by relatively more minor deities like Sif or Skadi.

How does the system handle this kind of intrinsic difference? I know from experience in 1st edition that people tend to almost exclusively favor those parents providing the most "Bang for your Buck" and logically resulting in issues like "Well this god can't have X Strength/charisma/etc because otherwise it would be favored".

Comment

• Neall Also (and im not certain how much im allowed to "Reveal" as it were so im gonna be vague here) I have a question from a couple Shaivite friends of mine regarding Shiva's writeup.

He has a certain connection to an animal mentioned, why though? Whats the logic here, as it appears to totally stump them.

(Also they really liked the Rashmi character, so kudos for that one)

Comment

• Originally posted by Úlfhéðnar View Post
              Neall Also (and im not certain how much im allowed to "Reveal" as it were so im gonna be vague here) I have a question from a couple Shaivite friends of mine regarding Shiva's writeup.

He has a certain connection to an animal mentioned, why though? Whats the logic here, as it appears to totally stump them.

(Also they really liked the Rashmi character, so kudos for that one)
              He has it because of his most famous Avatar, Hanuman I am admittedly a Shakta, not a Shaivite, but given how popular a deity Hanuman is, and how closely connected he is to that Animal, it made sense.

Same reason Vishnu has Artistry(flute playing) even though Vishnu does not pay the flute, Krishna does.
              Last edited by Samudra; 01-29-2018, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Neall I notice that some of the deities have a relative lack of purviews (Frigg for instance has only 2) compared to the average (and especially compared to some others), with a couple lacking any attribute related ones at all. I find this especially noticeable with a major deity like Freyr who are seemingly out muscled by relatively more minor deities like Sif or Skadi.

How does the system handle this kind of intrinsic difference? I know from experience in 1st edition that people tend to almost exclusively favor those parents providing the most "Bang for your Buck" and logically resulting in issues like "Well this god can't have X Strength/charisma/etc because otherwise it would be favored".
                Patron Gods no longer give XP discounts, as far as I am aware... the only benefit to your Deity's list of Purviews is that you have the option of channeling any single one of them for free. So while Scions of Frigg have a smaller platter of powers to choose from, they're not really getting any less of a bang for their buck than a Scion of Shiva

Comment

• I feel like maybe im doing something wrong here, or otherwise the strength feat chart is definitely a bit tough for mortals.

My hypothetical Might 5/Ath 3 character rolling 8 dice on a strength attempt has a 50% chance to fail to pick up two microwaves, and really should not count on the ability to perform anything else at all?

Comment

• well, don't forget that IIRC rolling a 10 gives you another dice in addition to the regular success. So you have a 10% chance of gaining yet another dice

EDIT: And don't forget that most microwave ovens weigh around 40 pounds (20 kg). Being able to lift one in each hand is pretty good.
                    Last edited by The Eternal Keeper; 01-30-2018, 07:10 PM.

Comment

• I'm wondering

from what i'm reading i noticed that "PVP" is not much expected. i'm i got it right?

(i'm saying this because of the trickster knack where you have to ask to the other players if u can do something to their characters)

Comment

• Originally posted by ElanConnor View Post
                        I'm wondering

from what i'm reading i noticed that "PVP" is not much expected. i'm i got it right?

(i'm saying this because of the trickster knack where you have to ask to the other players if u can do something to their characters)
                        Yeah, I mean, generally it's a faux pas to do anyway. And since some of these boons change how someone thinks/behaves it makes sense.

Comment

• There is generally a in game difference between "Ok, im gonna attack you now" and "Ok, im controlling your character now, you have to do this."

Almost everyone accepts that their character might face danger due to in character actions that occur, but people tend to balk at rules where they lose control of the actions and behaviors of their own character.

Comment

• Regarding the chinese deity Tai Sui, (grand duke of jupiter/head of celestial ministry of time), It seems like the name tai sui is treated in chinese myth as being either a position that is passed around yearly among a large group of star deities, or as one deity with a bunch of different faces, changing which face it wears yearly.

Would that kind of deity be best represented as one deity with like sixty different mantles, or can mantles be passed around among a large group of deities, changing hands at the turn of the year? If a mantle gets changed around that frequently, would a scion sired by that mantle just be the scion of that mantle, or would the god wearing the mantle during conception or visitation have any kind of connection to the scion?

Comment

I feel like maybe im doing something wrong here, or otherwise the strength feat chart is definitely a bit tough for mortals.

My hypothetical Might 5/Ath 3 character rolling 8 dice on a strength attempt has a 50% chance to fail to pick up two microwaves, and really should not count on the ability to perform anything else at all?
                              As others have noted, they're heavy, but also you're doing it as an extended action - so milestones.

You're not grabbing and hucking both of them at once, are you?

Neall Raemonn Price
                              Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

• Originally posted by vonpenguin View Post

Yeah, I mean, generally it's a faux pas to do anyway. And since some of these boons change how someone thinks/behaves it makes sense.
                                My go to move in most games is to carrot it. If a player allows their character to be controlled or manipulated in a way that is interesting to the story but disadvantageous to the character, I give them bonus Xp.

I learned back in high school how badly a newbie can be turned off roleplaying or even experienced players can turn on other PLAYERS, if they feel like they’re being negatively stripped of agency over their character.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Working...
                                X