Ask Neall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Neall View Post
    Saying “Social Power” is legit, but I take your point. I’ll see what I can do!
    Awesome. Great to have you answering questions more frequently at the moment.

Utilizing this opportunity... defense is at base 1 and any successes add to that, correct? Rolling 1 Success would then end up as 2 defense instead of 1, right? The details in dodge makes it seems like the base defense is only ever 1 if they roll zero successes which would mean a single success doesn't yield any additional benefit. Trying hard not to be the guy that always compares things to Trinity... but it specifies that base defense is 1 and successes used for the dodge stunt increase your defense by 1 per success. Just wondering if this is a intentional design decision to generally make defense 1 lower in Scion or if its just a product of the rough draft side of things. Adding successes to a base 1 just feels better. Makes it to where a single success doesn't feel somewhat pointless.

Comment

• So, I saw a bit further back that most Scions are the kids of Incarnations of the god in question, since obviously most deities don't want to risk going all Ark of the Covenant on people just to have a roll in the hay with a mortal.

So is there a limitation to the number of Incarnations or risk from having too many for a given god? Most of the example Scions present a pretty formula result of the kids not being aware they're the result of divine parentage until their Visitation. They might have hints here and there that they're a little above the average guy, but it seems like most of the gods stay out of their lives until That Moment.

This makes more sense if each god was some kind of monolithic progenitor for any Scions trailing back to him, like the 1E bloodline concept. But is there anything that prevents a god from, say, spinning off an Incarnation to look after their lover and kid rather than just remaining aloof and far off until Fate conspires to bring it out?

Comment

• And another consideration - do Gods have more Scions than Goddesses, simply because it is technically easier for males to have more offspring in the same amount of time? Or is there the assumption that divine beings are pregnant for as much or as little time as they want?

Comment

Yeah, we are.
          Referencing back to the whole looking over the purviews and callings of each Diety. Just noticed that Freyr, God of Fertility and Prosperity, is oddly missing the Prosperity purview. Just thought that was a little funny and figured I should point that out.

EDIT: Actually it seems that several have fairly small purview lists comparatively to other deities.
          Last edited by Yig1015w; 02-23-2018, 03:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yig1015w View Post

Referencing back to the whole looking over the purviews and callings of each Diety. Just noticed that Freyr, God of Fertility and Prosperity, is oddly missing the Prosperity purview. Just thought that was a little funny and figured I should point that out.

EDIT: Actually it seems that several have fairly small purview lists comparatively to other deities.
            I hope the second pass also gives Freyja the Beauty purview. Because IIRC, Freyja was literally the prettiest goddess of the Aesir and pretty much everybody wanted her.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yig1015w View Post

Blame the Eddas, not me. That said there are mechanical benefits to only having a few Purviews. Note that Titans only have one.

Neall Raemonn Price
              Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

Blame the Eddas, not me. That said there are mechanical benefits to only having a few Purviews. Note that Titans only have one.
                Jack of All Trades versus Hyperspecialization?

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• Well, I found the answer to my previous question in the Trinity backer previews (don't worry, I'm a backer). Turns out, shields are modeled in this system by giving a weapon the "Shield" tag. So, you can totally do the Captain America thing of having a shield that is also a weapon.

This does make me wonder how many mechanical difference there are between Scion and Trinity, though...

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

• Sooo...

Say as a deity, it was a long-term project of mine to give humans access to psychic powers. How would I go about that, what Purviews would I need, and can Purviews be re-skinned to act like psychic abilities? To clarify, I might drift my first scion game into a fantasy setting. But I could see giving everyone psychic abilities (and all the accompanying headaches) as a suitable legendary quest.

Comment

*Looks up Eddas* Still confused. Not sure if I'm missing a reference/nickname here or if it's my mythology noobness showing.

Honestly, there is no reason for blame provided a pass over these dieties happens and things get properly represented by release. It makes sense though that it needs a final overpass based purely by the fact they were in development at the same exact time the actual purviews/systems were under development.

But yea, looking forward to seeing how this all comes together.

Comment

• Originally posted by vonpenguin View Post
                        I know they kill each other but where is it said they wrestle to a standstill? And Loki might be a giant but Norse myth seem to have giants that range from maybe a few inches taller than most Aesir all the way up to the ground shakes when it walks and it's glove can be mistaken for a building. Loki seems to be on the smaller end of the scale. I doubt he's a noodle armed wimp but epic strength might be going too far.
                        Sorry for taking so long to respond to this, it's been a really busy weak. By "Wrestle to a Standstill," I meant that they were a match for each other, and neither could overcome the other. However! Upon going and double checking the Prose Edda (Gylfanginning) I'm totally wrong about it having been a wrestling match. I have no idea where I got the wrestling scene in my head, I don't think any other saga gives the scene in more detail either. I think it might be something that Gotham By Night mentioned way back, but I honestly have no idea. You're totally right Vonpenguin!

Originally posted by Yig1015w View Post
                        *Looks up Eddas* Still confused. Not sure if I'm missing a reference/nickname here or if it's my mythology noobness showing.

Honestly, there is no reason for blame provided a pass over these dieties happens and things get properly represented by release. It makes sense though that it needs a final overpass based purely by the fact they were in development at the same exact time the actual purviews/systems were under development.
                        The Eddas are not my thing as just evidenced here, but do you know where Freyr's prosperity function is actually stated? Neall might mean that the prosperity function of Freyr isn't attested strongly enough in the Eddas to give it to him.

For example, if someone asked me why Lug doesn't have Sun (I promise I'm actually better at the Irish Sagas than the Norse Eddas), I could say "Blame the Sagas," since the Sun thing isn't actually attested there. It's just something that people sort of decided in the 19th-20th century and got stuck in pop culture for a bit and doesn't have a basis in the actual mythology.

And also, it's impossible for the Pantheons to fit everyone's idea of what the Deities are. It's impossible for these to be perfect, because there is no perfect here. I would draw different conclusions for the Tuatha Dé Danann than other people would, a lot of these things are still really up in the air in the actual study of these things. Like, two years ago someone got around to doing a study of Mars in the Imperial Period and noted that he loses like all of his Agricultural and Guardian functions around the first century BCE for example. And then there's "The Bar," for what counts as an association. Where I might not think Zeus deserves Beast (Wolf) because of his Lyceus Epithet and Cult, but someone else might think that's totally enough reason to give him sed Purview.

Comment

• Originally posted by Watcher View Post

Sorry for taking so long to respond to this, it's been a really busy weak. By "Wrestle to a Standstill," I meant that they were a match for each other, and neither could overcome the other. However! Upon going and double checking the Prose Edda (Gylfanginning) I'm totally wrong about it having been a wrestling match. I have no idea where I got the wrestling scene in my head, I don't think any other saga gives the scene in more detail either. I think it might be something that Gotham By Night mentioned way back, but I honestly have no idea. You're totally right Vonpenguin!

To be fair there is one other time they fight after shapeshifting into seals. I can't recall the reason or outcome but they are definitely a martial match for each other. And you can't even assume that Loki tricks Heimdall at Ragnorok because i imagine that a trickster god and a god who's biggest thing is being the closest Aesir to omniscient without a magic chair involved naturaly cancel each other out.

Comment

• Originally posted by vonpenguin View Post
                            To be fair there is one other time they fight after shapeshifting into seals. I can't recall the reason or outcome but they are definitely a martial match for each other. And you can't even assume that Loki tricks Heimdall at Ragnorok because i imagine that a trickster god and a god who's biggest thing is being the closest Aesir to omniscient without a magic chair involved naturaly cancel each other out.
                            Maybe it is there, this is going to be one of those things that will annoy me until I go find it, or find out why I got that stuck in my head for some reason. I think you're totally right that it isn't a clash of trickery though, the pair of them effectively cancel each other out. It would just become a slow grind.

Comment

• I haven't had much time to read the whole preview through, only bits and pieces. From what I can see though, mook antagonists are designed to only be fought in small groups, like a group of five. Does Origins assume characters at this level won't be going against companies of fifty or a hundred mooks at once?

I can see the logic of it, what with PCs at this level being Action Heroes, but still Mortal. Saving the army breaking for Hero or Demigod?

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

• I think that's where Scale comes in.

Comment

Working...
                                X