• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neall pls no

i have so much work to do

and im already procrastinating three different ways

i cant handle four different ways of procrastinating at the same time

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
    [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
    [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

• Will Prophets, Oracles, and Cassandras be in the Companion? Are there any immortal saint knacks?
      ​There also doesn't appear to be any rules for how the virtue track works, though I'm assuming you can just use the Origin stuff for saint more or less.
      Last edited by trebius; 03-14-2018, 12:09 AM.

• I was just going to ask the same thing. The previews mention them but no entries seem to exist in either.

• Anyone know where exactly the feat of scale rules are?

• There seems to be some kind of confusion as to how many dots of callings (and thus knacks) you start with, as well as boons.

The actual character creation rules suggest 4 dots of callings, 2/1/1, while everywhere else suggests 5, (2/2/1, or maybe even 3/1/1)

Boons, similarly,--
            --I think it's likely to be "two boons".

That said, the legend rules suggest that you have 1-boon per dot of legend.

There isn't even a way to get extra boons with XP, as far as I can tell from a quick readthrough, so... yeah.

• Im fairly confused on path/asset skills and what their purpose is. In a old preview or statement (can't remember where I read this) you were forced to pick one of your Pantheon's Asset Skills as part of your Society Path but otherwise they seemed to do nothing. This seems to have changed, which is fine, but now things seem confusing.

In the origins preview on page 204 it refers to path skills and says the below examples give 2 out of the 3 skills associated with that pantheon. Going over to the Hero book we now see that only a single Pantheon has 3 asset skills and the rest only have two. Norse don't even have theirs listed.

At no point is there even a single section that directly states what Asset Skills actually do. The guide section of Hero implies they normally grant +1 to a scion but instead asset skills for a guide simply determine what rolls you can use their unique stunt with. On page 236 of the Hero guide it begins the explination of asset skills by saying "As path asset skills" which implies that perhaps Asset Skills are identical to Path skills in that the +1 granted that they are referring to is literally just the general bonus of +1 to +3 you get when you rank your paths primary secondary and tertiary. This would mean that asset skills are practically just suggestions (except in the case of guides) of which skills you may want to include in your paths that are fitting to that pantheon or supernatural path and otherwise don't have any mechanical benefit.

So at the end of the day we seem to have 3 different ways asset skills can be interpreted.

1. They are skills you have to take within your paths
              2. They grant you a bonus +1 enhancement for free simply for being associated with that pantheon or being a particular supernatural entity.
              3. They are merely suggestions to help you make your character more thematically connected to their pantheon or supernatural path.

Neither of the 3 above answer the confusing issue with page 204 in origins though in clearing up if a Pantheon/Supernatural path should have 2 or 3 asset skills.

Whichever way they work is obviously fine, I was just wondering if you could give some insight into how they are supposed to work as this does impact situations with our testing at the moment. Thank you.

• Originally posted by trebius View Post
                Will Prophets, Oracles, and Cassandras be in the Companion?
                Neall answered this on another thread and provided the Prophets and Cassandras writeup (I don't think Oracles are a separate thing).

Originally posted by Neall View Post
                This is my fault for not double-checking the file I was using. The Prophet Paths will go into the final book.

New Paths[NP1]
                Mortals cannot help but be puppets of Fate, but a rare few are able to see the strings. Lacking the full power of Scions or other creatures of Myth, they are nonetheless a cut above ordinary, ignorant mortals—at least insofar as their ability to get themselves into trouble is concerned. They are Prophets when their abilities manifest as a gift, or Cassandras when it appears as a curse. Though seldom the heroes of their own sagas, they often appear as Guides or Companions to Scions, operating on the principle that, if one can see the horrible monsters that lurk in the shadows of the World, one should make friends with someone capable of fighting them at one’s earliest opportunity.

Whether “blessed” by a God or born under a Fateful signifier (being born with a caul or with one or more teeth are common marks of a Prophet), the Prophet sees the skein of Fate laid out before him and reads it like a book. It’s not the ability to see the future, precisely; rather, it’s the ability to understand the weird narrative logic that Fate operates under, to recognize symbolically-relevant details, and thereby get a sense of where events are heading. Just like a student of cinematography can tell which elements in a shot are important by the composition and lighting or a student of theater can predict the course of events in a play thanks to her understanding of dramaturgical archetypes, a Prophet can glimpse, however briefly or incompletely, the courses Fate sets in motion.
                Path Effect
                Prophets can automatically recognize creatures of Myth and those touched by Fate, including but not limited to Scions, manifest Gods, Titanspawn, and Fatebound mortals. They can likewise recognize portals to Terra Incognita, Underworlds and Overworlds. This Effect requires no roll (and indeed, Prophets are incapable of turning it off), but it is defeated by Knacks or similar powers that conceal the subject’s mystical nature.

Glimpses Forward: A Prophet can learn to read the symbolism Fate spins into the world, assembling cues and signifiers to glean an understanding of the future Fate holds. Once per session, the Prophet may ask one of the following questions about a particular topic (an individual, group, or course of action, for example):
                What is the greatest peril the subject faces?
                • What must be done to ensure the subject does not come to disaster?
                • What must never come to pass, if the subject is to prosper?
                • How will the subject change the World, in ways great or small?
                Obnoxiously Prepared: Once per session, the Prophet can remove all complications from a single action by retroactively having the foresight to prepare just the right tool, circumstances, etc.
                As the Prophecy Foretold: Once per session, the Prophet can declare that events happening in-game match a previously-made prediction and completely refill the Momentum pool.
                Inauspicious Signs: Once per session, the Prophet may remove up to 5 dice from the red Momentum pool, and half that amount (rounded up) from the black pool.

Named for the figure in Greek mythology (though gods of nearly every Pantheon have created them), Cassandras are a special kind of Prophet cursed by the gods to speak absolute truth, but to never be believed by those who hear their prophecies. Where Prophets understand the structures of Fate and thus glimpse what must happen next, Cassandras see how the World flows within those structures, understanding what is happening. Theirs is a more immediate gift of prophecy, but no less useful—the problem is getting other people to act on it.
                Cassandras often find themselves pulled into the orbit of Scions for the simple fact that those of divine blood are immune to the curse. They make excellent Guides, and are often fiercely loyal to those rare few people who believe them.
                Path Effect
                Once per session, the Storyguide tells the Cassandra the absolute truth of a situation. This includes, but isn’t limited to, the agendas of those present, anything concealed or hidden nearby, and the immediate outcome of whatever is happening around her. This gift doesn’t extend to anything outside the Cassandra’s immediate vicinity.

Example: The original Cassandra, for whom this Path is named, saw the Greek army bring the Trojan Horse to the gates of Troy as a “peace offering.” This triggered her Path effect, making her immediately aware that the Greeks were not seeking peace and that many soldiers were hiding within the Horse. As the Trojans brought the Horse into the city, she was also aware that the immediate outcome would be ambush and slaughter. She was not able to perceive the rest of the Greek fleet waiting just beyond the horizon, nor was she able to predict that the long-term consequences would include Aeneas fleeing the city’s destruction and ultimately founding Rome.

No matter the information a Cassandra gleans from this effect, no one she tells will believe her until it’s too late to change the outcome of events. No amount of persuasion or social skill short of God-level Knacks can make someone believe a Cassandra’s prophecies, but it is possible to force people to act in accordance with the Cassandra’s warnings. It’s only the prophecies gleaned from the Cassandra Path effect that evoke this effect; general statements and inferences aren’t automatically disbelieved.

Continuing the example of the Trojan Horse, the Trojan soldiers didn’t continue disbelieving Cassandra’s warnings when the Greeks sprung their trap, but by then it was far too late to do anything about it. If Cassandra remarked that the Trojan Horse was certainly large enough to hold a phalanx of angry Greeks, the Trojans would likely agree, but would immediately discount the possibility that it actually was. If Cassandra had managed to get some leverage (say, a knife at King Priam’s throat), she might have been able to force the Trojans into destroying the Horse anyways, but they’d still steadfastly refuse to believe there was any point to it.

This curse doesn't affect with divine blood. Post-Visitation Scions, Gods, and anyone related to them are free to believe or disbelieve a Cassandra’s warnings as they see fit.

Creature or Guide •: Cassandras may be accompanied by snakes, who whisper wisdom and sage counsel into their ears. Some merely have tattoos of snakes, hearing the sibilant whispers in their minds.

Ties That Bind: Once per scene, a Cassandra reads someone's Fate at a glance and discern their strongest Fatebound relationship (if any). If the subject has more than one Fatebond at the same strength, this Knack reveals the oldest one first. Subsequent uses of this Knack on the same subject reveal sequentially younger and weaker Fatebonds. Each time the Cassandra uses this Knack, they suffer a Path Condition on an unrelated Path, related to their reputation as a liar who can't be believed.
                Truth, Lies, and Alibis: Sometimes there are advantages to nobody believing you. Once per session, a Cassandra automatically succeeds on a simple Manipulation by telling the simple, unvarnished truth. This is a conscious manipulation of the effects of the Cassandra curse, making whatever the Cassandra says seem utterly ridiculous and inconsequential in the moment (and the Cassandra herself, therefore, not worth bothering with). Once the Cassandra leaves the scene, this Knack’s effects end. For example, a Cassandra caught by a police officer while en route to the Pine Barrens to dispose of a body might use this Knack in response to the cop’s questioning her presence and answer “I’m here to bury Sal Gemino’s body.” The Knack’s effect will make the cop dismiss the story and the Cassandra herself as inconsequential, but later, when Mrs. Gemino files a missing persons report for her husband, he’ll remember the story. (“At the time I thought she was joking, but now…”)
                This Knack doesn’t affect anyone with divine blood.
                Self-Consistency Principle: If you can’t warn people about the future, you can at least take perverse joy in guaranteeing your predictions will come to pass. Once per session, after using her Path effect, the Cassandra adds a Complication equal to her Cunning to all actions that would prevent her prophecy from coming true. Maybe those Trojans would have checked inside the Horse, just to be 100% sure, but once Cassandra starts raving about hidden Greeks, it seems like a terrible idea.
                Self-Consistency Principle does affect those with divine blood.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

• Are Signature Purviews mandatory? I was thinking of doing a write-up of Princess Diana of Thymescria as a Hero; but then I realized that as a Scion of the Theoi, she would have to have a minimal facility with shapeshifting. Which really doesn't suit her.

• Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                    Are Signature Purviews mandatory? I was thinking of doing a write-up of Princess Diana of Thymescria as a Hero; but then I realized that as a Scion of the Theoi, she would have to have a minimal facility with shapeshifting. Which really doesn't suit her.

Wouldn't that just be a matter of not taking Metamorphosis Boons?

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Wouldn't that just be a matter of not taking Metamorphosis Boons?
                      That's what it seems like. They would automatically get the innate bonus of Metamorphosis but that ultimately just lets them use disguises to extreme effectiveness. A little easier to fit into a concept or simply not use if they are not the sort to be interested in that sort of thing.

• True enough. And some versions of the character do have the “secret identity without a mask” thing going on.

That said, I do miss Arete, at least conceptually.
                        Last edited by Dataweaver; 03-14-2018, 01:37 PM.

• Yea, the concept of Arete was good, but fairly plain compared to other PSPs. Ultimately though you could likely show those aspects of it by simply hyper focusing on a particular thing you want your character to be good in by picking the proper purviews and boons that compliment that image. It means someone else could do the same from a different pantheon but the concept of being an exemplary example of a particular aspect is still doable.
                          Last edited by Yig1015w; 03-14-2018, 02:04 PM.

• Just getting into Scion (only played a game or two in 1ed) after backing this one (heard only good things).

I am uncertain as to how dots work as relates to Paths and how many a Scion begins with.

Would you be able to clarify how many dots in Callings we are supposed to begin with?

• You should start with 1 dot in callings as an origin (previsitation scion) character. 4 dots as a hero. As a origin (previsitation) character this is a single dot in a single calling, as a hero it is 2 dots in one calling and 1 dot in two other callings.

• Is it intentional that Aphrodite doesn't have Beauty? That seems... bizarre to say the least.