No announcement yet.

Ask Neall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 'Emulate Boons' Marvel notes that Boons emulated through Marvels cost extra... the 'Terrible to Behold' Sidebar in Beauty notes that 'Its cost isn’t increased when you emulate it with a marvel of the chosen Purview' which sort of implies that Marvels to emulate Boons of the same Purview don't increase in cost... are Marvels only supposed to be costlier when emulating Boons if they're not naturally from the Purview being used or am I reading the sidebar incorrectly?

Comment

• One thing has been bugging me the more I read it. I feel like I'm definitely not understanding something, but I'm not sure how. The issue is the Tuatha motif: "Magic flows from verse and satire." I figured at first that this meant you make up a rhyme and magic happens, but every example I see seems to be more about mocking someone to make them do something. And that seems kind of limited. It obviously works great when you need a War marvel to make the enemy lose heart or a Fire marvel to inspire people, but what do you do when you want to open a stone door with Earth? Insult the door? How do you make yourself fly, or hurl bolts of lightning for a scene? If you're limited to what you can accomplish by taunting someone in rhyme, then it seems... well, really weak.

​I do like the Tuatha, I should add. My main idea for a character is a son of Mannanan who struggles to uphold the virtues of Enech and meet the expectations of his family and the faith while being, at heart, a humble person who just wants to explore. But I am concerned now that the motif he'd be stuck with is a lot more limited than the others. So I guess the question is: What am I not seeing? Am I just getting it wrong in general, and the examples given don't show the full breadth of it?

Comment

• Originally posted by CreepyShutIn View Post
        One thing has been bugging me the more I read it. I feel like I'm definitely not understanding something, but I'm not sure how. The issue is the Tuatha motif: "Magic flows from verse and satire." I figured at first that this meant you make up a rhyme and magic happens, but every example I see seems to be more about mocking someone to make them do something. And that seems kind of limited. It obviously works great when you need a War marvel to make the enemy lose heart or a Fire marvel to inspire people, but what do you do when you want to open a stone door with Earth? Insult the door? How do you make yourself fly, or hurl bolts of lightning for a scene? If you're limited to what you can accomplish by taunting someone in rhyme, then it seems... well, really weak.

​I do like the Tuatha, I should add. My main idea for a character is a son of Mannanan who struggles to uphold the virtues of Enech and meet the expectations of his family and the faith while being, at heart, a humble person who just wants to explore. But I am concerned now that the motif he'd be stuck with is a lot more limited than the others. So I guess the question is: What am I not seeing? Am I just getting it wrong in general, and the examples given don't show the full breadth of it?
        Given what I know of the 2e design philosophy, a good rule of thumb is this: If you have two potential reads of something, and one sounds more restrictive and less fun, go with the other reading.

Remember that the motif does mention satire, but it also mentions verse. Don't assume that they'd mention that unless it counted. Yeah, a lot of power done a from sick burns, but I'd totally allow a Tuatha Scion to use, say, Epic Dex to emulate the Flight boon by making a little rhyme about how they're so light in their feet they can run through the sky.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by CreepyShutIn View Post
          One thing has been bugging me the more I read it. I feel like I'm definitely not understanding something, but I'm not sure how. The issue is the Tuatha motif: "Magic flows from verse and satire." I figured at first that this meant you make up a rhyme and magic happens, but every example I see seems to be more about mocking someone to make them do something. And that seems kind of limited. It obviously works great when you need a War marvel to make the enemy lose heart or a Fire marvel to inspire people, but what do you do when you want to open a stone door with Earth? Insult the door? How do you make yourself fly, or hurl bolts of lightning for a scene? If you're limited to what you can accomplish by taunting someone in rhyme, then it seems... well, really weak.

The Motif isn't just for insults, though I can totally see how the sentence can be read like that. From what I understand, it is intended to be either making a statement in a poem that causes the magic to take hold, or insulting someone through satire (which would also be in rhyme traditionally) rather than always having to be a satirical mocking. For instance, this is one of the examples of this Motif in use in a Myth called Cath Maige Tuired where Miach, son of Dian Cécht healed the arm/hand of Nuada. (It rhymes in Old Irish)

He went to the hand and said ‘joint to joint of it, and sinew to sinew’; and he healed it in nine days and nights. The first three days he carried it against his side, and it became covered with skin. The second three days he carried it against his chest. The third three days he would cast white wisps of black bulrushes after they had been blackened in a fire.
          So, if you wanted to open a stone door, you could recite a quick poem about your skill as a mason, and going through some motions as you have this door open up before you. If you wanted to fly, you could, depending on how you are fluffing your use of Sky, you could give a poem about your father who is an Otherworldly Bird, or if you wanted to hurl lightning, you could give a poem about the quickness of your movement as a warrior and physically grab bolts of lightning as they fall from the sky and hurl them at people.

Essentially, all you need to do is make a poem. What I have done for Scion 2e is I find a Poem for each of my Purviews to grab selections from when I need to make a Marvel when I first make the character, and then every few weeks maybe go back and pick up a new poem to use to keep things fresh.

Comment

• Also free verse is an option.

Comment

• Question: what does Pele want? I know the Atua are still a bit off, but what might interest her to make this stop?
              Last edited by glamourweaver; 05-12-2018, 02:52 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Question: Been playing around with the Creature Birthright rules, and how do qualities interact with the dice pools? Also, how should one go about calculating the secondary, desperation, health, defense, and initiative pools? Assigning Scale to the players critters?

I ask because the sample antagonist creatures are all over the map for qualities and flairs, and the dice pools don't sync to to the creature guidelines in Birthrights chapter, and the mentioned examples in the Birthrights section (supposedly in chapter 6) are not there. Further, of the four dot example creatures, none are given stats.

Basically, I'm confused as to what is meant to be appropriate for each dot level.

Comment

• Can you spoil what the Pantheon Motif for the Yazatas will likely be?

Comment

• Hi Neall,

I really appreciated some of the clarifications and things said in the Storypath chapter of Heroes. There was one bit I was curious about, though.

While certain religions and cultures don’t, properly speaking, exist anymore (the Kemetic Egyptians), some are heavily reconstructed (Greco-Roman polytheism) and one religion was made up whole-cloth for this work (the Laukr Norse faith, which differs in tone and style from reconstructed Germanic Heathenism)
                    I was particularly interested because you brought up Greco-Roman Polytheism, and that Laukr was described as 'different in tone' than Asatru/Heathen reconstruction. As it happens, there is actually a branch of faith known as Northern Tradition Paganism, which is itself a polytheistic (as opposed to pantheistic) faith that focuses on the Norse pantheons. The focus they place on something called 'UPG' (Unverified Personal Gnosis), struck me as very similar to the watery tone ascribed to Laukr.

There's also the fact that Northern Tradition types insist that Loki is free to go about, and not bound up in a cave, or preferring to refer to them with they/then pronouns.

To get to my actual question, I guess I was curious if that faith had any influence on Laukr, and whether or not it would be a good resource for fleshing out that hand-crafted Norse faith.
                    Last edited by Solana; 05-13-2018, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• Can i use marvels to heal? or the marvel can heal only magical wounds and curses?

i mean: if i get burned and fill an injured box can i use a marvel of frost to heal the burn?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kylar View Post
                        Question: Been playing around with the Creature Birthright rules, and how do qualities interact with the dice pools? Also, how should one go about calculating the secondary, desperation, health, defense, and initiative pools? Assigning Scale to the players critters?

I ask because the sample antagonist creatures are all over the map for qualities and flairs, and the dice pools don't sync to to the creature guidelines in Birthrights chapter, and the mentioned examples in the Birthrights section (supposedly in chapter 6) are not there. Further, of the four dot example creatures, none are given stats.

Basically, I'm confused as to what is meant to be appropriate for each dot level.

I've asked this in a couple of threads now but haven't received feedback. I assume it is something that they needed to do significant revision on and we will see the fruits when the books are ready.

Comment

• For effects such as "a sentinel" that add +1 defense is that plus one die to the roll or a flat +1 to the result of the roll when applied to the PC?

Comment

• Originally posted by vonpenguin View Post
                            For effects such as "a sentinel" that add +1 defense is that plus one die to the roll or a flat +1 to the result of the roll when applied to the PC?
                            Always +1 Enhancement. Never change the dice pool unless the book explicitly tells you to.

Neall Raemonn Price
                            Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

• Originally posted by Solana View Post
                              I was particularly interested because you brought up Greco-Roman Polytheism, and that Laukr was described as 'different in tone' than Asatru/Heathen reconstruction. As it happens, there is actually a branch of faith known as Northern Tradition Paganism, which is itself a polytheistic (as opposed to pantheistic) faith that focuses on the Norse pantheons. The focus they place on something called 'UPG' (Unverified Personal Gnosis), struck me as very similar to the watery tone ascribed to Laukr.

There's also the fact that Northern Tradition types insist that Loki is free to go about, and not bound up in a cave, or preferring to refer to them with they/then pronouns.

To get to my actual question, I guess I was curious if that faith had any influence on Laukr, and whether or not it would be a good resource for fleshing out that hand-crafted Norse faith.
                              Interesting! It sounds almost like a mix of Greek-Norse polytheism.

Laukr was a creation of the author, who may have done her own research on this and just didn't tell me, and my adding in some supplemental elements of Heathen reconstruction and cosmetic details from dramatic depictions. I'll be sure to ask her, but we did source it in actual recreations.

Neall Raemonn Price

Comment

• Originally posted by Deranged Goblin View Post
                                Can you spoil what the Pantheon Motif for the Yazatas will likely be?
                                Not written yet, but it'll likely have to do with the righteousness of Ahura Mazda.

Neall Raemonn Price

Comment

Working...
                                X