Ask Neall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kylar View Post
    Basically, I'm confused as to what is meant to be appropriate for each dot level.
    Go by the Creature Birthright rather than the Antagonists, but I'll see what I can do to add language to clear things up.

Neall Raemonn Price
    Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

• Originally posted by Neall View Post
      Go by the Creature Birthright rather than the Antagonists, but I'll see what I can do to add language to clear things up.
      Oh,speaking of Creatures. what kind of powers will the Bestiary give to Fair Folk?

Comment

• Originally posted by Neall View Post

Interesting! It sounds almost like a mix of Greek-Norse polytheism.

Laukr was a creation of the author, who may have done her own research on this and just didn't tell me, and my adding in some supplemental elements of Heathen reconstruction and cosmetic details from dramatic depictions. I'll be sure to ask her, but we did source it in actual recreations.
        There is a lot of interaction between the two, including a surprising amount of influence from various communities that worship the loa/iwa, believe it or not. It's all very interesting, and I'd personally love to see more of the process she went through with some of the Norse brainstorming, maybe even through a note in a Kickstarter update or something?

Comment

• From all different types of Scion, I don't really understand what are the incarnates for?
          Youre still in a mortal form and you would relive your divine life or at least encounter what you already did... so what? You just happen to have 12 labors if you are an Incarnate of Heracles? Or chasing a beautiful Muse if you are an Incarnate of Apollo?

I don't see how would these situations be entertaining. Players would be expecting them, wouldn't they?

Or am I misunderstanding something?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickedgrail View Post
            From all different types of Scion, I don't really understand what are the incarnates for?
            Youre still in a mortal form and you would relive your divine life or at least encounter what you already did... so what? You just happen to have 12 labors if you are an Incarnate of Heracles? Or chasing a beautiful Muse if you are an Incarnate of Apollo?

I don't see how would these situations be entertaining. Players would be expecting them, wouldn't they?

Or am I misunderstanding something?
            Those things don't necessarily happen to Incarnates any more than they do to any other Scion, and they don't play out exactly as they did in myth anyway. As always with stories about fate (or Fate in this case) they may think they know what's going to happen, but they'll still be surprised. I'm reminded of the story of Örvar-Oddr, who was told it was his fate to be killed by his horse Faxi. He summarily killed the horse, lived another three hundred years, and then one day he stumbled on the old horse skull and was killed by the serpent that now lived in it.

Also, do not underestimate how much even the slightest degree of obfuscation can throw your players off. 9/10 times you can introduce Mr. Zeut of the Olympus Corporation to recruit the band for Project Lightning Bolt and it'll still take six sessions and some judicious elbow-jabbing before they realize he may have some relation to the Theoi.

Comment

• One possible take on Incarnates is that they're a chance for a do-over. If a god believes (s)he's too tightly hemmed in by Fate, going through a completely new rebirth may open up new possibilities and directions. One certainly expects that the Incarnate stands a risk of going down the same path as the original -- Fate will be nudging the Incarnate in that direction. But because the Incarnate's Legend is much lower that the original god, Fate's influence is much weaker and different reactions might happen.

This is exactly what Young Loki tried to do in Kieron Gillen's run on "Journey Into Mystery". Young Loki wanted to change from a God of Evil into a God of Mischief, and to change his ultimate destiny. He sort-of-kind-of succeeded...but not the way he intended.

Comment

• Also, consider gods where we have virtually no mythology for them, like the Gaulish gods. In those cases, the player and Director are basically creating the legend as they go along, which can be presented as a straight take or subversion of what originally happened.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

• Also, it's a way of playing your favorite god or goddess as a Hero or Demigod instead of jumping into God-tier action. For instance, I have a fondness for Iris, Theoi Goddess of the rainbow and messenger of the Gods; but I'd much rather play her at the demigod level of power than as a goddess. Playing an Incarnate of Iris allows for that.

Comment

• To add to the list of suggestions, it's also a way for Scions to play currently dead deities and weaving them into the story by continuing the narratives of their reincarnations. Nuada, Dian Cécht, Goibniu, etc.

Comment

• Thanks guys. It will help when a player will ask about it, and they will... hehe

Oh, wanted to know if you guys or Neall did think about what would happen if a god and a goddess would try to have children. I have players from Scion 1E who are gods and I just don't want to say it does not work on I dont know because the game does not mention anything about this and I really dont have a clue. I mean it will give birth to a god-level creature most of the time, or at least demigod level, even in myths, it's not quite simple... or maybe invoke Fate? :/

Comment

Thanks guys. It will help when a player will ask about it, and they will... hehe

Oh, wanted to know if you guys or Neall did think about what would happen if a god and a goddess would try to have children. I have players from Scion 1E who are gods and I just don't want to say it does not work on I dont know because the game does not mention anything about this and I really dont have a clue. I mean it will give birth to a god-level creature most of the time, or at least demigod level, even in myths, it's not quite simple... or maybe invoke Fate? :/
                        I believe the result is still a Legend 1 Scion. They just start Visited instead of having to go through Origins Tier.

Comment

• Originally posted by Samudra View Post

I believe the result is still a Legend 1 Scion. They just start Visited instead of having to go through Origins Tier.
                          How would you explain that as in myths, gods have god level children?

Comment

How would you explain that as in myths, gods have god level children?
                            Eh, it's not that big of a stretch... Baby Hermes' trick with the cattle is something any Trickster could do at Hero. Ganesh battling Shiva's followers to a standstill is easily a case of Army of One, probably backed up by an Astra given by Parvati. Huitzilopochtli does take on the Southern Stars right at birth, but a. Again, Army of One and b. He's the child of a Primordial, so I can see that rule not strictly applying there. The children of gods do a lot of crazy stuff but that's by and large covered by Heroes already.

Comment

• Is there going to be an official expansion to the Orenda in the foreseeable future? The reason I ask this is that I'm actually interested in possibly writing up entries for the remainder of the pantheon myself if there isn't going to be one. I've never homebrewed before, but it's something I'd always wanted to learn, and I felt that it would easiest to expand on them before tackling an entirely new pantheon by myself. However, if there is going to be an official expansion, I don't want to provide a free alternative to that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Samudra View Post

Eh, it's not that big of a stretch... Baby Hermes' trick with the cattle is something any Trickster could do at Hero. Ganesh battling Shiva's followers to a standstill is easily a case of Army of One, probably backed up by an Astra given by Parvati. Huitzilopochtli does take on the Southern Stars right at birth, but a. Again, Army of One and b. He's the child of a Primordial, so I can see that rule not strictly applying there. The children of gods do a lot of crazy stuff but that's by and large covered by Heroes already.

Actually, what troubles me is the mechanism, the system that existed for Gods. I mean, there are rules to create Scion Lvl 1 with all the associated powers. How, let's say, Horus, Athena or even Fenris are born independantly from their parents where we need to create Scions that follow partly our divine parents' paths. Clearly, Loki doesn't look like a wolf. How a God would give birth to genuine Creatures/ beings that is not even the sum or the average of both parents?

Hephaestus is the God of forge at birth and directly God. Does this system work at all with Scion game or we should not try to understand how it works?

Also, Scions do evolve. Why do Gods are frozen with their powers. Why Wukong wouldn't keep on trying to be more than the Monkey king? I mean, wouldn't they receive experience points too? If Scion players reach their levels and keep going up, they would be stronger than Gods and it will be disturbing.

The roleplay part is okay I think. I just wanted to know if it were put into a system, how would this work?

Comment

Working...
                                X