Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask Neall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • To add to the list of suggestions, it's also a way for Scions to play currently dead deities and weaving them into the story by continuing the narratives of their reincarnations. Nuada, Dian Cécht, Goibniu, etc.


    Scion 2e Homebrew Projects:
    The Šiuneš, the Pantheon of the Hittite Empire.
    The Enduri: the Pantheon of the Manchu Peoples.
    The Sgā’na Qeda’s: the Pantheon of the Haida First Nation.
    The Abosom: The Pantheon of the Ashanti.

    Comment


    • Thanks guys. It will help when a player will ask about it, and they will... hehe

      Oh, wanted to know if you guys or Neall did think about what would happen if a god and a goddess would try to have children. I have players from Scion 1E who are gods and I just don't want to say it does not work on I dont know because the game does not mention anything about this and I really dont have a clue. I mean it will give birth to a god-level creature most of the time, or at least demigod level, even in myths, it's not quite simple... or maybe invoke Fate? :/

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Wickedgrail View Post
        Thanks guys. It will help when a player will ask about it, and they will... hehe

        Oh, wanted to know if you guys or Neall did think about what would happen if a god and a goddess would try to have children. I have players from Scion 1E who are gods and I just don't want to say it does not work on I dont know because the game does not mention anything about this and I really dont have a clue. I mean it will give birth to a god-level creature most of the time, or at least demigod level, even in myths, it's not quite simple... or maybe invoke Fate? :/
        I believe the result is still a Legend 1 Scion. They just start Visited instead of having to go through Origins Tier.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Samudra View Post

          I believe the result is still a Legend 1 Scion. They just start Visited instead of having to go through Origins Tier.
          How would you explain that as in myths, gods have god level children?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Wickedgrail View Post

            How would you explain that as in myths, gods have god level children?
            Eh, it's not that big of a stretch... Baby Hermes' trick with the cattle is something any Trickster could do at Hero. Ganesh battling Shiva's followers to a standstill is easily a case of Army of One, probably backed up by an Astra given by Parvati. Huitzilopochtli does take on the Southern Stars right at birth, but a. Again, Army of One and b. He's the child of a Primordial, so I can see that rule not strictly applying there. The children of gods do a lot of crazy stuff but that's by and large covered by Heroes already.

            Comment


            • Is there going to be an official expansion to the Orenda in the foreseeable future? The reason I ask this is that I'm actually interested in possibly writing up entries for the remainder of the pantheon myself if there isn't going to be one. I've never homebrewed before, but it's something I'd always wanted to learn, and I felt that it would easiest to expand on them before tackling an entirely new pantheon by myself. However, if there is going to be an official expansion, I don't want to provide a free alternative to that.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Samudra View Post

                Eh, it's not that big of a stretch... Baby Hermes' trick with the cattle is something any Trickster could do at Hero. Ganesh battling Shiva's followers to a standstill is easily a case of Army of One, probably backed up by an Astra given by Parvati. Huitzilopochtli does take on the Southern Stars right at birth, but a. Again, Army of One and b. He's the child of a Primordial, so I can see that rule not strictly applying there. The children of gods do a lot of crazy stuff but that's by and large covered by Heroes already.

                Actually, what troubles me is the mechanism, the system that existed for Gods. I mean, there are rules to create Scion Lvl 1 with all the associated powers. How, let's say, Horus, Athena or even Fenris are born independantly from their parents where we need to create Scions that follow partly our divine parents' paths. Clearly, Loki doesn't look like a wolf. How a God would give birth to genuine Creatures/ beings that is not even the sum or the average of both parents?

                Hephaestus is the God of forge at birth and directly God. Does this system work at all with Scion game or we should not try to understand how it works?

                Also, Scions do evolve. Why do Gods are frozen with their powers. Why Wukong wouldn't keep on trying to be more than the Monkey king? I mean, wouldn't they receive experience points too? If Scion players reach their levels and keep going up, they would be stronger than Gods and it will be disturbing.

                The roleplay part is okay I think. I just wanted to know if it were put into a system, how would this work?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Wickedgrail View Post
                  Why do Gods are frozen with their powers.
                  They aren't, not always. Loki's write-up mentions that his Monster Maker days were represented by possessing the Creator Calling. However, around the time he consumed Logi's mantle and took Logi's wife (which is also where he gained the Fire purview) Loki have up the Creator Calling and gained the Lover Calling.

                  Consider the writeups to be snapshots of where the Gods are as we know them. They may change in time, with worship, but Change may not come easily to Gods. Plus, gaining new Boons doesn't come with experience.

                  I just wanted to know if it were put into a system, how would this work?
                  I think the best answer to this is "The God book is years away, chillax"

                  Edit: Though if I had to guess now... We know that a group of Gods who form their own Pantheon can retroactively write a Genesis Myth into history. Who's to say that a God, upon ascending to full Legend 9 Godhood, can't say "I am and always was the Forge God"?
                  Last edited by Kyman201; 05-19-2018, 10:45 PM.


                  Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Wickedgrail View Post
                    Actually, what troubles me is the mechanism, the system that existed for Gods.
                    The system that existed for Gods is not necessarily the system that exists for Gods.

                    Originally posted by Wickedgrail View Post
                    I mean, there are rules to create Scion Lvl 1 with all the associated powers. How, let's say, Horus, Athena or even Fenris are born independantly from their parents where we need to create Scions that follow partly our divine parents' paths. Clearly, Loki doesn't look like a wolf. How a God would give birth to genuine Creatures/ beings that is not even the sum or the average of both parents?
                    Horus is a Scion of Aset, Athena is a Scion of Metis... both of those parents were totally there and neither was born independently of them, so I'm not sure what the issue is here. Fenris is more difficult, I'll give you that, but we know that Scions of Inari can be Kitsune and Scions of Apollo can be Prophets... and we also know that Loki has some sort of Mother of Monsters Title... Fenris is also child of Angrbroda, Giantess of the Iron Wood, and if he takes after her more than his father then he can totally have more Wild charecteristics.

                    Originally posted by Wickedgrail View Post
                    Hephaestus is the God of forge at birth and directly God. Does this system work at all with Scion game or we should not try to understand how it works?
                    Heph is born of Zeus and Hera, survives getting kicked off of Olympus and then builds things... that's nothing Epic Stamina and the Creator Calling wouldn't let him do at Hero.

                    Originally posted by Wickedgrail View Post
                    Also, Scions do evolve. Why do Gods are frozen with their powers. Why Wukong wouldn't keep on trying to be more than the Monkey king?
                    They're not, necessarily. Gods evolve and gain new Mantles all the time. Heracles even converted to Buddhism once.

                    Originally posted by Wickedgrail View Post
                    I mean, wouldn't they receive experience points too? If Scion players reach their levels and keep going up, they would be stronger than Gods and it will be disturbing.
                    You can't buy Boons and Callings with XP so that this is a moot point.

                    Originally posted by Wickedgrail View Post
                    The roleplay part is okay I think. I just wanted to know if it were put into a system, how would this work?
                    There is, frankly, no system in existence that can accurately model all of mythology... it's way too crazy a thing for that to actually be possible... but Scion comes pretty darn close.

                    Comment


                    • So, in the writeups about soft armor in Origin, and in the Skin Like Stone boon in Hero, it is strongly implied that one can have multiple stacks/levels of soft-armor... however, outside of reverse engineering the fact that Skin Like Stone gives multiple levels of soft armor, therefore multiple levels of soft armor must be possible, it is never explicitly stated that it can come in increasing levels.

                      Also... if it have multiple "stacks" or levels... is there some sort of maximum, because there most certainly SHOULD be.

                      Comment


                      • Wait, did I miss something saying that the children of God on God action produces Scions? I thought Scions were mortal children.


                        Raksha are my fae-vorite.

                        Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post
                          Wait, did I miss something saying that the children of God on God action produces Scions? I thought Scions were mortal children.
                          There's been lines here and there. Basically any Godchild, even one born of two Gods, would be a Legend 1 Hero at the start and grow into a stronger being.

                          If two Gods have a kid, the general consensus seems to be that the kid will take after one parent for the sake of Innate Purview and Calling. Nothing stops the other parent from being a Guide or giving the Scion some other Birthrights


                          Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

                          Comment


                          • In the first version of scion, two full powered gods produced a scion at the lowest possible legend for God. Two gods where one or more was in an avatar . (read incarnation) form during conception, produced a scion at the lowest legend for the lowest tier that any of the involved parents at the time of conception (A two gods, one of them in a demigod-tier avatar form would produce a starting demigod, and two gods who both took a heroic-tier avatar form to live out a romantic-comedy version of their lives would produce a starting hero.)

                            In this version... nothing has been definitively said one way or the other, but someone here said they should be L1 Heroes regardless of the tier of the parents given incarnation/avatar, and a lot of the more active members have liked it, and the books are still being written, so there's a decent chance that that's what going to be "standard" when the book finally comes out.

                            Every game I've ever run or played in where it became an issue, rather than using any set of procedural rules, it followed the system of "whatever is most dramatically appropriate, because Fate is a tangible, semi-sapient, and narratively-charged force in the legendary universe."




                            ..... should we have two of these threads, one for fluff, and one for crunch? I'm having to wade through a lot of fluff questions that I know my table is going to rewrite anyway to find the answers mechanical questions that inevitably come from a first draft (like that "can soft armor have multiple levels" question, or "what the hell is the 'armored tag.'"

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by mjorkk View Post
                              "what the hell is the 'armored tag.'"
                              Didn't Neall answer that one? I'm pretty sure the Armored tag is an artifact and should be 'Soft Armor'


                              Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

                                Didn't Neall answer that one? I'm pretty sure the Armored tag is an artifact and should be 'Soft Armor'
                                Correct.... which further complicates the issue of how/when one gains "levels" of soft armor, if one even can, as it's not explicitly stated yet... which was the main locus of my question. Thanks though
                                Last edited by mjorkk; 05-21-2018, 12:32 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X