Ask Neall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wickedgrail View Post
    Why do Gods are frozen with their powers.
    They aren't, not always. Loki's write-up mentions that his Monster Maker days were represented by possessing the Creator Calling. However, around the time he consumed Logi's mantle and took Logi's wife (which is also where he gained the Fire purview) Loki have up the Creator Calling and gained the Lover Calling.

Consider the writeups to be snapshots of where the Gods are as we know them. They may change in time, with worship, but Change may not come easily to Gods. Plus, gaining new Boons doesn't come with experience.

I just wanted to know if it were put into a system, how would this work?
    I think the best answer to this is "The God book is years away, chillax"

Edit: Though if I had to guess now... We know that a group of Gods who form their own Pantheon can retroactively write a Genesis Myth into history. Who's to say that a God, upon ascending to full Legend 9 Godhood, can't say "I am and always was the Forge God"?
    Last edited by Kyman201; 05-19-2018, 10:45 PM.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Actually, what troubles me is the mechanism, the system that existed for Gods.
      The system that existed for Gods is not necessarily the system that exists for Gods.

Originally posted by Wickedgrail View Post
      I mean, there are rules to create Scion Lvl 1 with all the associated powers. How, let's say, Horus, Athena or even Fenris are born independantly from their parents where we need to create Scions that follow partly our divine parents' paths. Clearly, Loki doesn't look like a wolf. How a God would give birth to genuine Creatures/ beings that is not even the sum or the average of both parents?
      Horus is a Scion of Aset, Athena is a Scion of Metis... both of those parents were totally there and neither was born independently of them, so I'm not sure what the issue is here. Fenris is more difficult, I'll give you that, but we know that Scions of Inari can be Kitsune and Scions of Apollo can be Prophets... and we also know that Loki has some sort of Mother of Monsters Title... Fenris is also child of Angrbroda, Giantess of the Iron Wood, and if he takes after her more than his father then he can totally have more Wild charecteristics.

Hephaestus is the God of forge at birth and directly God. Does this system work at all with Scion game or we should not try to understand how it works?
      Heph is born of Zeus and Hera, survives getting kicked off of Olympus and then builds things... that's nothing Epic Stamina and the Creator Calling wouldn't let him do at Hero.

Also, Scions do evolve. Why do Gods are frozen with their powers. Why Wukong wouldn't keep on trying to be more than the Monkey king?
      They're not, necessarily. Gods evolve and gain new Mantles all the time. Heracles even converted to Buddhism once.

I mean, wouldn't they receive experience points too? If Scion players reach their levels and keep going up, they would be stronger than Gods and it will be disturbing.
      You can't buy Boons and Callings with XP so that this is a moot point.

The roleplay part is okay I think. I just wanted to know if it were put into a system, how would this work?
      There is, frankly, no system in existence that can accurately model all of mythology... it's way too crazy a thing for that to actually be possible... but Scion comes pretty darn close.

Comment

• So, in the writeups about soft armor in Origin, and in the Skin Like Stone boon in Hero, it is strongly implied that one can have multiple stacks/levels of soft-armor... however, outside of reverse engineering the fact that Skin Like Stone gives multiple levels of soft armor, therefore multiple levels of soft armor must be possible, it is never explicitly stated that it can come in increasing levels.

Also... if it have multiple "stacks" or levels... is there some sort of maximum, because there most certainly SHOULD be.

Comment

• Wait, did I miss something saying that the children of God on God action produces Scions? I thought Scions were mortal children.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post
            Wait, did I miss something saying that the children of God on God action produces Scions? I thought Scions were mortal children.
            There's been lines here and there. Basically any Godchild, even one born of two Gods, would be a Legend 1 Hero at the start and grow into a stronger being.

If two Gods have a kid, the general consensus seems to be that the kid will take after one parent for the sake of Innate Purview and Calling. Nothing stops the other parent from being a Guide or giving the Scion some other Birthrights

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• In the first version of scion, two full powered gods produced a scion at the lowest possible legend for God. Two gods where one or more was in an avatar . (read incarnation) form during conception, produced a scion at the lowest legend for the lowest tier that any of the involved parents at the time of conception (A two gods, one of them in a demigod-tier avatar form would produce a starting demigod, and two gods who both took a heroic-tier avatar form to live out a romantic-comedy version of their lives would produce a starting hero.)

In this version... nothing has been definitively said one way or the other, but someone here said they should be L1 Heroes regardless of the tier of the parents given incarnation/avatar, and a lot of the more active members have liked it, and the books are still being written, so there's a decent chance that that's what going to be "standard" when the book finally comes out.

Every game I've ever run or played in where it became an issue, rather than using any set of procedural rules, it followed the system of "whatever is most dramatically appropriate, because Fate is a tangible, semi-sapient, and narratively-charged force in the legendary universe."

..... should we have two of these threads, one for fluff, and one for crunch? I'm having to wade through a lot of fluff questions that I know my table is going to rewrite anyway to find the answers mechanical questions that inevitably come from a first draft (like that "can soft armor have multiple levels" question, or "what the hell is the 'armored tag.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by mjorkk View Post
                "what the hell is the 'armored tag.'"
                Didn't Neall answer that one? I'm pretty sure the Armored tag is an artifact and should be 'Soft Armor'

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

Didn't Neall answer that one? I'm pretty sure the Armored tag is an artifact and should be 'Soft Armor'
                  Correct.... which further complicates the issue of how/when one gains "levels" of soft armor, if one even can, as it's not explicitly stated yet... which was the main locus of my question. Thanks though
                  Last edited by mjorkk; 05-21-2018, 12:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ElanConnor View Post
                    Can i use marvels to heal? or the marvel can heal only magical wounds and curses?

i mean: if i get burned and fill an injured box can i use a marvel of frost to heal the burn?

up! sorry, i really need this answer

Comment

• Originally posted by ElanConnor View Post

up! sorry, i really need this answer
                      My non-Dev answer would be "Why not?"

More seriously, I believe one of the explicit things mentioned as a Marvel type is "Remove Condition", and injuries are conditions, so-

Comment

• how to balance a fight??

how many mob/rival/nemesis will you put against a group of 3 scions (legend 1)?? and how would you scale in case of legend 2 characters??
                        a monster how many dice should throw with his pool? how much life, how much defense with a group of 3 scions?

Comment

• Use the antagonists in the back. Ballpark, lowballing it. If your players breeze through, use Tension to empower one of the enemies.

Your question, however, has many variables. What kind of Scions? Are they combat focused? How many have the Warrior Calling? Do any of them have Creatures or Followers to do the fighting for them?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

If two Gods have a kid, the general consensus seems to be that the kid will take after one parent for the sake of Innate Purview and Calling.
                            This is true only for future gods. As I mentioned earlier, not every god born from two gods is partly his parent. Athena is not linked to Zeus in anyway. Hephaestus is a blacksmith... Zeus nor Hera are. Thor, the god of thunder is born from the All father whose powers are mostly linked to prophecies and Jord who is mother earth.

Horus, god of Sun, nothing like Osiris or Isis.

So why new gods are linked, somehow, to their parents?

My partner and I came up with a simple idea that is kind of linked to what you said is that even old Gods are born heroes but no myth talks about them like heroes but only their god's prowesses.

One of the things that could explain that is when Athena was challenged by Arachne... well, Athena challenged her actually, she failed to prove she was better than a mere mortal, probably because her crafts were not what they "are" right now and she needed those power to grow as her status of god.

I mean, I am not talking about gods like Sun Wukong who clearly climbed every ladder to reach godhood. But if this is the case, what differs scions from two gods and scions half god half mortal? The access to the Overworld?

Comment

This is true only for future gods. As I mentioned earlier, not every god born from two gods is partly his parent. Athena is not linked to Zeus in anyway. Hephaestus is a blacksmith... Zeus nor Hera are. Thor, the god of thunder is born from the All father whose powers are mostly linked to prophecies and Jord who is mother earth.

Horus, god of Sun, nothing like Osiris or Isis.

So why new gods are linked, somehow, to their parents?
                              Athena takes after her mother, Metis, Goddess of Cunning. Hephaestus has Trickster as a Calling, in reference to the times he's trapped Hera and Aphrodite in hidden constructed traps... guess who else has Trickster... his father, Zeus. Thor is also a God of Fertility, and his mother is an Earth Deity. Horus is the easiest... he has Leader like his Father and Guardian like his Mother, and he has Purviews in common with both.

Also, you inherit some things from your parent, but none of that defines you... you have to start out sharing a Calling, but there are rules for shedding and adopting new Callings, and the only other benefit is that you get to channel a single one of their Purviews for free... which you can choose to completely ignore for anything beyond it's Innate Power while you build up your Legend with other Purviews, so even new Gods barely need to be connected to their parents now.

Comment

• Sorry, I don't buy the Callings you mentioned. I mean clearly you are trying to dig them out which I understand because you need it to make sens but Athena is the goddess of wisdom and strategy above all. Cunning is that what you really remember of her?

Thor is fertility? Well, okay he can call rain to fall... but again, how many times he is represented or worshipped as the god of fertility?

So if I follow your reasoning. I could be... Wukong's son and be the God of water and oh, I'll add Prophecy, Prosperity and Beauty but since I need to be related somehow to my father, i will choose Trickster.

If I want other Purviews than Wukong's, won't I just go for Nüwa or someone else?

If I want to play the sexiest Scion to be a future god of lust and beauty, shouldn't I go for Aphrodite, Apollo, Bast, Isis, Freyja instead of Thor, Tezcatlipoca or Hachiman?

What's the point in choosing Nezha if you want to play a merciful Scion. God, Guanyin is just on the previous page, man!

My first point was there are better parents to come from when you become a blacksmith than Zeus and Hera.

It might not be explanable, I just wanted to point that out. Or maybe an official answer would help.

Comment

Working...
                                X