Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Indivisible View Post
    So about the Beauty Purview innate power:

It says that you may attempt a Feat of Scale when you roll to influence a character using
    your beauty, appearance, and body language.

Is this like invoking your Legendary title, where you need to spend a point of Legend? There's a boon in Epic Strength that explicitly says the you can make a Feat of Scale without spending a point of Legend, and it limits it to once a scene.

If you don't have to spend a point of Legend, it seems overly powerful, as it doesn't limit the effect to once per scene.
    If you do have to spend a point of Legend, then the innate power seems very weak, as it is the only innate power that requires spending Legend to get any use out of it. Sun and Moon both have the option to spend Legend, but there's also a free base effect to use.

If Legendary Titles are a special type of path, that means that they can each be invoked once per session, and a use of that invocation is to make a Feat of Scale. Is the intent that Beauty provides a way to make Feats of Scale in terms of attraction as often as you have Legend to spend on it?
    Sorry to quote myself, but it has been a month and reading through the thread again other people had the same question.

Comment

Sorry to quote myself, but it has been a month and reading through the thread again other people had the same question.
      You have to spend a point of Legend. The bonus of the Beauty Innate Power is that you can use a Feat of Scale for any action that falls under your appearance and body language, regardless of whether it falls under your Title or Keywords or not.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• in which pantheon would you put Anansi? what powers should he have?

pantheon purview? cheval?

Comment

• Anansi originates with the Akan people of Ghana/Ashanteland and is of an entirely different pantheon than either the Loa or the Orisha - the Anak are from an entirely different part of Africa. The stories and myths did spread to the West Indies and general Caribbean area along with the Americas via slavery, of course. He'd be part of a theoretical Akan-derived pantheon. The religion is Akom, much as the Orisha have Vodun in Yorubaland. The pantheon would likely be the Abosom, which refers to the lesser spirits and deities that serve under the creator god, who has many names but we'll call Nyame for ease right this second.

E: All that said, you might be able to get away with Gun/Cheval, because of a Surinamese syncretization of the Orisha and the Abosom, called Winti. However, I'd probably go with a Purview closer to the Manitou one, given how Akom worship works.
          Last edited by MorsRattus; 05-30-2018, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• Watcher and Sacerdos are writing that pantheon up, and by the looks of it, it's going to be awesome.

Comment

• A friend of mine works at a gaming store and he wanted to know what company you were going to use for distribution, and when it would be ready for pre-order.

Comment

• Originally posted by rickayelm View Post
                A friend of mine works at a gaming store and he wanted to know what company you were going to use for distribution, and when it would be ready for pre-order.

Probably better for your friend to reach out to Rich through his Onyx Path contact info (http://theonyxpath.com/about/contact/), rather than here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                  You have to spend a point of Legend. The bonus of the Beauty Innate Power is that you can use a Feat of Scale for any action that falls under your appearance and body language, regardless of whether it falls under your Title or Keywords or not.
                  Thank you. I thought it was something like that, though I'm still not sure if it suffers from the same limitations on frequency of use that titles do.

That makes it the only innate power that has no effect unless you're spending Legend.

Comment

Thank you. I thought it was something like that, though I'm still not sure if it suffers from the same limitations on frequency of use that titles do.

That makes it the only innate power that has no effect unless you're spending Legend.
                    It expands the range of what you can declare a Feat of Scale. If your Title has nothing to do with the action you're doing, but you have Beauty, and you're doing something that would benefit from your appearance or body language, the Beauty Purview can let you make it a Feat of Scale.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Technically speaking, the Beauty Innate doesn't require you to spend Legend at all... It expands the category of actions that you can turn into a Feat of Scale, which is an entirely passive effect. Invoking the Feat of Scale is what is costing the Legend. And while this might seem a little less than the Epic Strength Innate, that one isn't as universally applicable... It won't help you with a ballet recital, for instance... By contrast, the Beauty Innate can turn any action where looks and body language can have an effect into a Feat of Scale... Which is, frankly, every single social action ever. The ability to turn almost any Social Action into a Feat is very strong, and needs the Legend cost to balance it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                        Also, Neall's mentioned you can add new Innate Purviews to your powerset when you become a God. So Haphaestus grew into his power, mechanically. Again, there's not going to be a complete 1:1 mapping to perfectly capture all myth, like Samudra said, but this Edition comes close.

Scions are going to inherit things from their parents. That's just how it goes. And as Samudra said, there's no XP tax for investing in Purviews that neither of your parents have, if you want to be a rebellious pissant. You want to be a Scion of Hades with the Beauty Purview? Relic Makeup, boom. Pick those Boons instead of say, Darkness or Prosperity or whatever you inherited from Hades. Paint on that smokey eyeshadow and make the living and the dead swoon with your awe-inspiring good looks.
                        Heh. I can just imagine taking your favorite "sitcom centered on family that struggles with everyone being so different" and converting it to Scion. Actually, I s'pose that's Dragonball. I have a related question, possibly answered but I haven't been following the development. I'm curious if you can extend that back a generation to 2E equivalent to Titans, say Chronos/Rhea and their children? Seems like Hestia is the odd one out as not being cunning/backstabbing/cray cray like her sibs - maybe she takes more after Rhea? I'd be stumped if I had to explain the Norse cow ancestor.

Comment

• I understand that being able to turn many actions into a Feat of Scale is powerful, and if it can apply to any social action rather than just ones playing on the character's appearance, then it is probably strong enough to stand on its own. I was always pretty sure that it required a point of Legend, but I wanted to note that I found the wording ambiguous in a thread that I know a developer reads, especially as there were similar questions earlier in the thread.

However, there is a genuine question about how often you can attempt a Feat of Scale with the Beauty innate power. Invoking a title for a Feat of Scale is limited in the same way as invoking a path, and Boons that allow you to make a Feat of Scale include how often they can be used in their description. The Beauty innate power does not have any limitations on frequency of use listed and does not have the invocation limitations of a path.

Comment

• What's the maximum cap on the tension pool?

Comment

• Hi Neall

Is Scáthach the Shadow going to be in any of the books ( as a Scion, Mentor, or even a God?)

and if so what pantheon is she going to be connected too, The Irish pantheon or the Scottish/ Welsh pantheon.

Its just that as a legendary Scottish warrior queen/goddess and martial arts teacher who is only really remembered in Irish myth she is in a weird place when it comes to where she should go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jester View Post
                                Hi Neall

Is Scáthach the Shadow going to be in any of the books ( as a Scion, Mentor, or even a God?)

and if so what pantheon is she going to be connected too, The Irish pantheon or the Scottish/ Welsh pantheon.

Its just that as a legendary Scottish warrior queen/goddess and martial arts teacher who is only really remembered in Irish myth she is in a weird place when it comes to where she should go.
                                I'm not Neall of course, but Scáthach is a great Guide for any Scion of the Túatha Dé Danann. There is no scholarly evidence that suggests a role of a deity for her, though a half-argument could be made that she might be one of the Síd due to the nature of her realm having several markers of being an Otherworld. Though, normally the manuscripts make the identity of Síd plainly known through outright statement or descriptions of clothing and hair.

Unfortunately, there is no Scottish Pantheon she could fit into due to the assimilation of the various Pictish kingdoms into Dál Riata, and the lack of any details towards their native pre-Scotti invasion (and conversion to Christianity by the various early Ionan missionaries) religious beliefs asides from some absolutely beautiful stones. The Plant Don do not have any record of her from what I have read. She is a unique to early Irish saga literature.

She is a brilliant Guide for a Scion of the Irish Pantheon (or any other, to be fair) who wishes to be trained in the profession of Hero from the Irish context. Weapon Feats, and the like. A great oppertunity for cross-Pantheon interactions.
                                Last edited by Watcher; 06-14-2018, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X