Ask Neall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
    There is no reason why you can't imitate the Metamorphosis Boon to transform yourself or another with the appropriate Purview and Motif.

Which Purviews are Appropriate? Justify it. Health (changing one's physiology)? Sure. Moon (for the nature of shifting and changing)? Sure. Some kind of Water Marvel to something something "The body is mostly water"? Rad.

What Motifs apply? Basically any. Use the Shen Motif to alter the balance of the target's Yin and Yang, oh hey your body has changed sex. Drop a rhyme about being true to yourself and hey, the Tuatha Motif applies. Speak to the portions of their soul using your understanding of Heku for the Netjer.

There is literally nothing in the book that backs up what you're suggesting.
    Ok, I used the wrong word, Motif is one game term, what I mean was more like the focus of the Purview... you can’t use Order or Sky to turn men into women, maybe you can use Health, but you are extending it a little too much for a Hero... that’s what I mean.

Otherwise there is no need of purviews at all, as you just need to use your motif to do whatever you want, and for sure any of the pantheons motifs can be used. You can ask for Zeus to turn a men into a woman, or insult a person until it turns into the other sex.

Comment

• Aren't we supposed to be asking Neall about all this? Like, it's in the name of the thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
        Aren't we supposed to be asking Neall about all this? Like, it's in the name of the thread.
        Neall doesn’t regularly respond like the Exalted devs do on their thread (no judgment, writers have different day jobs!) so it’s a general Q&A thread as a result.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

Ok, I used the wrong word, Motif is one game term, what I mean was more like the focus of the Purview... you can’t use Order or Sky to turn men into women, maybe you can use Health, but you are extending it a little too much for a Hero... that’s what I mean.
          Yes. Because the Purviews are meant to be rigid and ironclad with no wiggle room and no way to use them metaphorically or interpret them, or twist them around a little.

It's not like you can, say, use Epic Dexterity to use the Sky Boon to fly with a Marvel. One is Sky and Flight, the other is about being agile and nothing that's supposed to be flying.

Clearly you can't use Epic Strength to emulate an effect from Earth.

Not like you can use Moon to emulate the Shifting Tides Boon under Water. Two different Marvels, can't do it. Actual example in the book

Not like this is a quote from the actual book:

Originally posted by Hero, Page 239
          Each Purview provides a description of the elements and forces it governs, which in turn inform the conceptual scope of that Purview’s marvels. However, over the course of your game, you may expand on what a Purview is to your character personally, ascribing new meanings to them. As new themes and meanings emerge in play, mention them to the Storyguide and let them know if you want to base marvels off them later on. Get creative with your Purviews, and make them your own.
          Emphasis mine.

Can the player justify how the Purview, literally or symbolically, links to the Marvel you're trying to do? If so, does telling them 'no' actually make things more fun?

(Also, how to justify a sex change with Order - I'm enforcing the natural Order of your own body and giving you a body that matches your soul)

Edit: Also, at Hero Level I can cure any mortal disease and give someone cancer of the everything, you're telling me I can't drop a point of Legend and work a Health Marvel to swap someone's sex? I mean, fuck, I could do it for free on a Trivial character who's praying to my character for a miracle.

Edit 2: You know what just for EXTRA spite I'm going to go list a bunch of General Purviews that I can justify changing one's sex.
          • Beasts - Some kinds of frog and fish can under environmental circumstances can switch their sexes. Invoke that.
          • Beauty - There's a Boon to let one's true Beauty shine through. Be happy with the You in the mirror by releasing your true Nature.
          • Chaos - Chaos and Change, let's Change You.
          • Deception - Perhaps a bit tougher, but I'd allow someone to work a permanent Marvel to transform someone with the logic of "If it looks, feels, and walks like a duck-"
          • Earth - You're sculpting someone's body like clay to change it.
          • Fertility - Given that this covers y'know, growth, childbirth, reproduction, this should work too.
          • Fire - Burn away the old to let the new be reborn. Warning, potentially painful.
          • Health - As established
          • Moon - Revealing of the Truth, Changing Nature
          • Order - Invoking the Order of making the Body match the True Self
          • Sky - As the seasons and the weather turn and change, so can the body
          • Water - As previously established, the body is like 70% water, so do that
          *HUFFS* Okay, I feel better now.
          Last edited by Kyman201; 05-28-2019, 05:38 PM.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't blink at an Origin level character who is 500 years old and can change gender. I'd just assume they'd been avoiding major events the entire time and having 500 years of age is a good explanation for the fact that even Origin characters are far more capable and/or knowledgable than the vast majority of other people.

Endless lifespan has next to zero gameplay impact and changing gender is potentially useful but highly situational.

Comment

• Deleted - connection issue multi-post
              Last edited by Thrythlind; 05-28-2019, 04:40 AM. Reason: Deleted - connection issue multi-post

Comment

• Deleted - connection issue multi-post
                Last edited by Thrythlind; 05-28-2019, 04:39 AM. Reason: connection issue multi-post

Comment

• Can anyone point to where Defense for Birthright Creatures is defined in Hero? Followers have it equal to half the Follower rank, which seems a bit low for a creature. I had assumed that it is a static value, as for Antagonists, but maybe it's rolled each round.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fairlyhyperman View Post
                    Can anyone point to where Defense for Birthright Creatures is defined in Hero? Followers have it equal to half the Follower rank, which seems a bit low for a creature. I had assumed that it is a static value, as for Antagonists, but maybe it's rolled each round.
                    There's no official rule, so I've been going with the "Half the rank, rounded up" from Followers. And I've been using them as static.

Remember, the Defense can be boosted with Flairs and Qualities.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Edit: Also, at Hero Level I can cure any mortal disease and give someone cancer of the everything,
                      I can see my friends doing that in game to an annoying NPC.

Player: I give Bob cancer.

DM: What kind?

Player: Yes. All of the cancer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dante View Post

I can see my friends doing that in game to an annoying NPC.

Player: I give Bob cancer.

DM: What kind?

Player: Yes. All of the cancer.
                        If Bob is trivial then your player can do it for free.

Comment

None of these are Questions.

But a Chosen of anybody would probably show signs of being Special in their life. It's entirely possible that they were learning all their lives from the future Patron, who was slowly educating them and preparing them for their future as a Champion. So ask yourself why Hestia would pay attention to your character.
                          Fair enough. I didn't word my post or use the correct syntax. My bad. And tha k you fir the insight. I'll figure it out I think. Maybe an Incarnation of Hestia was the person who inspired her to do what she does. Maybe shes still her mentor. Maybe in her creation of that safe space, and in building her legend, Hestia's incarnation (actually just hestia) reaches back out and that's where the visitation may happen?

Comment

• Originally posted by Grimangel53 View Post

Fair enough. I didn't word my post or use the correct syntax. My bad. And tha k you fir the insight. I'll figure it out I think. Maybe an Incarnation of Hestia was the person who inspired her to do what she does. Maybe shes still her mentor. Maybe in her creation of that safe space, and in building her legend, Hestia's incarnation (actually just hestia) reaches back out and that's where the visitation may happen?
                            Yeah, definitely an option. Just have someone who's been offering advice to the character all their life, and then in one moment, the Incarnation lays it out.

"All this time... I've been watching you. Helping you become the person I thought you could be. Someone kind, dedicated, caring, someone who will protect this World and the people in it. I knew you, and I taught you. And now, I Choose you. Take these Relics, my Champion."

Comment

Yeah, definitely an option. Just have someone who's been offering advice to the character all their life, and then in one moment, the Incarnation lays it out.

"All this time... I've been watching you. Helping you become the person I thought you could be. Someone kind, dedicated, caring, someone who will protect this World and the people in it. I knew you, and I taught you. And now, I Choose you. Take these Relics, my Champion."
                              I like it! maybe thats how i'll build out that character's story

Comment

• Bear in mind that there are other ways, too. The future Scion may live his life right up until the Visitation never once encountering Hestia until the fateful meeting: “I like you; be my champion.” Of course, this depends on the temperament of the God: Hestia is likely to vet her Chosen; Loki is more likely to Choose on a whim.

Comment

Working...
                                X