Scion in Space!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scion in Space!!!!!

Scion is Mythic role-playing, Space Opera is richly mythic, and humanity will take their myths with them to the stars. So, how would you play interstellar scion? Would new planets breed new Pantheons? Which Virtues do you guys see being most common in an interstellar future? Will the old pantheons send Scions to become the patron gods of new worlds?

Please, give me your take.
    Last edited by Astromancer; 06-06-2015, 04:32 PM.

HELLAS has to be on the short list for reference books of any Dodekatheon-themed "Scion in Space".
    Having run one, I can say that the Virtues were very easy shorthand for the civilizations the players came from (Order, Duty, Conviction, and Loyalty make for a great "Evil-ish Empire").

Comment

Originally posted by PHGraves View Post
      HELLAS has to be on the short list for reference books of any Dodekatheon-themed "Scion in Space".
      Having run one, I can say that the Virtues were very easy shorthand for the civilizations the players came from (Order, Duty, Conviction, and Loyalty make for a great "Evil-ish Empire").
      Very true. It could also make for a very complex villain type, a noble villain with understandable motives. A villain worthy of respect.

Those are the most dramatically rich villains.

Comment

Just a though, the Klingons in STtNG, DS9, and later, would certainly be expressing values of Courage, Vengence, Loyalty, and Duty. The original Series Klingons and the Cardassians would seem to be more Order, Duty, Piety, Conviction. The Romulans certainly went for at least Piety, Order, and Duty, but I can put my finger of the fourth one. Certainly most Federation types stressed Intellect, Expression, and Valor, different peoples favored Order, Harmony, Duty, or Loyalty, for their forth value.

Comment

Hey are there any fan types out there that could give us the virtues for Galafrey? Bybalon-5 cultures? The federation from Blake's 7? Or for the planet Mongo?

Comment

Norse Pantheon... Space Vikings...

Fuck yeah!

Comment

Once again, since the Doctor is clearly a powerful Scion, what are the values of the Time Lords?

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
                Once again, since the Doctor is clearly a powerful Scion, what are the values of the Time Lords?
                Whatever they might be, they certainly aren't the ones the Doctor has, since he is a RENEGADE Time Lord. Nor those of the Master, the Rani, Morbius, etc. etc. Probably the only traveline Time Lord who ever adhered to them was Romana.

Comment

Just re-read the OP and now Scion: Mormon came to mind.

But on a more serious note, a space theme would provide opportunity for a massive uprising of new Pantheons. Colonizing a new planet untouched by civilization is an opportunity for a fresh start. The gods will have a hand in shaping a civilization from the ground up, free of centuries of misinterpretation or intermingling with other cultures.

Comment

My Scion game that I was running for a few years was heading towards the Band going to Mars to help Humanity Start a New World, as they were currently going through the Apocalypse. Didn't quite get that far though.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Might a Scion in a Sci Fi setting pass themselves off as a Psion or a powerful mutant?
                      Last edited by Astromancer; 12-26-2016, 07:40 PM.

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but... well whatever.
                        In Sandman it's implied that the Endless (the fundamental concepts of humanity, like Dreams and Death) have different iterations for each living entity. So there's a Cat-Death and a Fish-Death and a Martian-Death. Maybe something similar for a Space-Scion?
                        (although that could also imply Zeus, Thor, and all the other Thunderers would be essentially the same god with different faces)

Comment

Working...
                        X