Games like Scion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Games like Scion?

God, I can't wait for 2e to come out. No, really. I can't wait.

In the absence of the final product or even the Alpha Slice, are there any other products on the market that try to tackle the subject matter of Gods in the modern world? Is there nowhere else to get my fix until Scion 2e (or it's Alpha Playtest) are upon us?

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Have you tried Exalted?

Comment

I'd highly recommend Part-Time Gods, by Third Eye Games. It's available in a proprietary system format and also in the Fate system.

Neall Raemonn Price
      Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

Honostly I like how the Chuubo's Marvelous Wish Granting Engine can handle Scion. Also its sister game Nobilis.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Cool suggestions so far guys, thanks!

Originally posted by Asmael View Post
          Have you tried Exalted?
          I've thought about it, but the system seems kinda janky. I really dislike old world of darkness' mechanics and really prefer Chronicles of Darkness, but Exalted seems to be more like the former than the latter.

I'm not sure if that's right or if I'm just looking at it wrong. FWIW I like Storypath a lot from what we've seen.

I am no longer participating in the community. Please do not contact me about my previous work.

Comment

I've enjoyed Mythender.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/...leplaying-Game

Organizer for the Dead Gamers Society: The So Cal World of Darkness Meetup. http://www.meetup.com/Dead-Gamers-Society/

Comment

There's an RPG.net thread about a game called Godbound. It's not out yet, but the Beta document is available for download.

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php...omine-Godbound

The one in the OP isn't the most recent one, but the Google Plus group has a link to it.

Comment

Well this probably isn't what you were hoping for, but before I discovered Scion, I thought up a Play by Post role playing scenario that was similar to Scion.

The premise for it was that the Gods were not timeless beings and eternity was not as infinite as we were lead to believe. At the end of each span of eternity, the gods would be replaced with new ones who would have the duty of governing the next age of existence. The game took place during such an event. Mortals across the world were being chosen as heirs to the gods, who would ascend to divinity and govern the next age. Except there was one little problem.

There were thousands of heirs across the world. But only 100 thrones to occupy!

The result is the chosen heirs waging war across the planet with their divine powers. Which had the side effect of bringing about the apocalypse. The war would continue until only 100 heirs were left. By then, the world would be destroyed, so it would fall to them to create a new one and rule until the next election.
                Last edited by Nyrufa; 03-15-2016, 12:07 AM.

Comment

There will be a game totally like it called Gods of the Fall and it uses the Cypher System. In it, you were a god and are now working your way back up.

Comment

Originally posted by thedonnie View Post
                    There will be a game totally like it called Gods of the Fall and it uses the Cypher System. In it, you were a god and are now working your way back up.
                    where can i learn more about it?

Comment

There is also http://www.pigames.net/store/default.php?cPath=113 - "Lords of Olympus" though I believe it is more of a bronze age game. Never tried it or read it, so can't say one way or another how it plays.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                        where can i learn more about it?

The official website is here: http://www.montecookgames.com/gods-of-the-fall/

It's due out later in the month, but there is a preview available. However, it seems that you may also need to purchase the Cyper Core System book to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                          Well this probably isn't what you were hoping for, but before I discovered Scion, I thought up a Play by Post role playing scenario that was similar to Scion.

The premise for it was that the Gods were not timeless beings and eternity was not as infinite as we were lead to believe. At the end of each span of eternity, the gods would be replaced with new ones who would have the duty of governing the next age of existence. The game took place during such an event. Mortals across the world were being chosen as heirs to the gods, who would ascend to divinity and govern the next age. Except there was one little problem.

There were thousands of heirs across the world. But only 100 thrones to occupy!

The result is the chosen heirs waging war across the planet with their divine powers. Which had the side effect of bringing about the apocalypse. The war would continue until only 100 heirs were left. By then, the world would be destroyed, so it would fall to them to create a new one and rule until the next election.

I really like this idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Oriares View Post

I really like this idea.

Sadly, it never got off the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Neall View Post
                              I'd highly recommend Part-Time Gods, by Third Eye Games. It's available in a proprietary system format and also in the Fate system.
                              I liked part time gods, but it has a few drawbacks though....mostly the power level. Even if you are maxed out (competely) you have a few problems that don't arise in scion 1.
                              1.) A god of strength can't lift as much as a demigod (legend 5!) in scion can.
                              2.) A god clad in the best armor he can get....can't survive a nuke

They made it pretty balanced, but sadly even at max god level you have a relatively low power level in essence (could be because its only part time^^')

-------------------------

Else there is:
                              -New gods of mankind
                              -Marvel super heroes (one player once played a war god........worked better than expected).
                              -Godbound (godbound has had its own kickstarter btw and should be out soon fi it isnt already)
                              -Gods of the fall
                              -Godsend (D6 superheroes game where one of the playable races is called elohim and were the ancient gods)
                              -Dragons & Gods for Palladium
                              -Godsfall (5E just got a kickstarter)
                              -Part time gods
                              -Scion 1

---------
                              In total I would say aside from scion 1 (which somehow still has the best flair) new gods of mankind and part time gods also do a good job.
                              New gods has the highest power level as you are a full blown god there with all the powers involved and must amass followers and keep good care of them.
                              Also it is the least rules heavy system out of all of these (and funnily the only one that has its own strategy game included).

Part time gods on the other hand has more balanced rules than scion 1, and more options for character creation than new gods (almost on par with scion).
                              And it has a VERY flexible domain/power system (almost on par with new gods which has the most flexible one). Main downside here is the low power level.

Edit: What I have to admit I really love is the territory rules in part time gods. In how you can acquire territory, and build shrines there or just spray your graffiti to increase the hold you have on your territory (that is one masterpiece of an idea)
                              Last edited by Ryu; 06-18-2016, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X