No announcement yet.

Games like Scion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i hope you don't mind me bringing this thread back from the dead,are there any more suggestions anyone can think of?

Comment

Look on Drive thru RPG for Godbound. It's even cited in the Scion books.

Comment

thanks,i'll take a look

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
          Look on Drive thru RPG for Godbound. It's even cited in the Scion books.
          I'll likely cause the torches and pitchforks to come out for saying this, but IMHO I second Astromancer's recommendation for Godbound over Scion as a replacement to Scion's rules. Scion is brilliant for setting and source material, but I've come to dislike the Storypath system for a number of reasons (which I won't go into here out of respect for the franchise and your thread's intent).

I still buy Scion's books, but I use them strictly for setting and lore, however I use a different rule system. This is something I've had to do for Exalted as well, brilliant setting and source material, I truly adore the franchise, but the rules for combat are sadly a hot mess. I'll recommend a couple additional titles with my personal observations for your consideration in order of preference from least to favorite.;

Godbound
          GB lets you to do Scion and even Exalted, but it should be noted that it is a D20 OSR, though devoid of the nit-picky system clutter OSR rules were typically afflicted by. It also has a significant body of material for handling politics ranging from village level all the way to national, and is easily explained and absorbed by experienced and novice players alike, lending itself to virtual tabletop programs (I personally highly recommend Foundry if you have need of a VTT). You can pick up the free copy at Drivethrurpg, but the Deluxe was well worth it and I like to support content creators by buying their titles. The free version however, will give you everything you need to get up and running, so if nothing else you can pick it up and see if you like it at no cost. It is however (IMHO) a "light" body of rules.

Mutants & Masterminds
          M&M lends itself to represent Scion's flavor and setting using either Second or Third Edition. It was originally designed for supers genre gameplay, but it's flexibility and character design is perhaps my all-time favorite. It is a d20 system, but it has the ability to adapt to narrative style play by using some optional rules from its GM Guide.

​Personally, I would've stayed with M&M for my various games, but my closet friend managed to convince me that SW (below) eclipses M&M with its systems for Dramatic Tasks, Chase mechanics and Social Conflict, and though I was initially dubious of SW's integration of cards, once I began using it I came to love it.

Savage Worlds
          I would recommend giving SW a serious looking at (it's what I'm currently using). The current edition is often referred to as "SWADE" in its community, translated that is the "Adventurer's Edition", the "Explorer's Edition" is a previous generation. Though it has some qualities that some find off-putting (exploding dice can make for some novel moments), it is highly adaptable to the tastes of one's group and has as an added bonus a staggering wealth of material allowing for any setting to be represented through it's rules that can be as crunchy as you like. It can also lean into narrative style if that's your thing, and doesn't suffer from obtuse or vague language trying to explain its concepts.

It is easily picked up by novices and also easily lends itself to VTT's. The core book gives one everything you'd need to run Scion with, though I would recommend making use of the Supers Companion (2nd Ed) to represent Knacks and Purviews better. With those two you can easily represent Scion's setting, and it scales nicely to represent all 3 tiers of Scion (though if you like Scion's Fate Binding rules, you'll have to do some creative home brewing to render them). If you're a fan of Scion's Momentum mechanics SW represents this nicely through its Bennie system, and it's what I'm currently tinkering with to represent Fate Bindings. Also, I've found its community both on Reddit, and its own native boards are very welcoming and helpful if you have any questions or need some suggestions.

Reality is a matter of perception, challenging one's own or that of others is not a crime, it is a service.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker1728 View Post

Savage Worlds
            I would recommend giving SW a serious looking at (it's what I'm currently using). The current edition is often referred to as "SWADE" in its community, translated that is the "Adventurer's Edition", the "Explorer's Edition" is a previous generation. Though it has some qualities that some find off-putting (exploding dice can make for some novel moments), it is highly adaptable to the tastes of one's group and has as an added bonus a staggering wealth of material allowing for any setting to be represented through it's rules that can be as crunchy as you like. It can also lean into narrative style if that's your thing, and doesn't suffer from obtuse or vague language trying to explain its concepts.

It is easily picked up by novices and also easily lends itself to VTT's. The core book gives one everything you'd need to run Scion with, though I would recommend making use of the Supers Companion (2nd Ed) to represent Knacks and Purviews better. With those two you can easily represent Scion's setting, and it scales nicely to represent all 3 tiers of Scion (though if you like Scion's Fate Binding rules, you'll have to do some creative home brewing to render them). If you're a fan of Scion's Momentum mechanics SW represents this nicely through its Bennie system, and it's what I'm currently tinkering with to represent Fate Bindings. Also, I've found its community both on Reddit, and its own native boards are very welcoming and helpful if you have any questions or need some suggestions.
            Yay Savage Worlds! I'll second a lot of what you've said here, though with the caveat that the Super Powers Companion (and Savage Worlds in general) is focused heavily on action-adventure play, and doesn't have a lot in the way of abilities based more on social or investigative skills. You'll have to add in powers that represent things like more subtle emotion control and the investigative "ask one of these questions" sorts of Knacks and Boons. One of the things I like about Scion is the focus it places on those aspects.

When the cat's a Stray, the mice will pray...

Comment

Originally posted by TheStray7 View Post

Yay Savage Worlds! I'll second a lot of what you've said here, though with the caveat that the Super Powers Companion (and Savage Worlds in general) is focused heavily on action-adventure play, and doesn't have a lot in the way of abilities based more on social or investigative skills. You'll have to add in powers that represent things like more subtle emotion control and the investigative "ask one of these questions" sorts of Knacks and Boons. One of the things I like about Scion is the focus it places on those aspects.

Agreed with your caveat

However, i see potential in a few of them to write up "more subtle" powers from examples in the book. I'm currently working on a Hero Lab user file that will set up a list of Knacks and Purviews for players to purchase as Scions and other Supernatural paths, but with a customized restricted list of (modified if necessary) Powers/Edges. Some of Scion's material would be served better with a Edge than a Power, but you're correct that some care and consideration is required in setting the proper tone and feel for a "Savage Scion" setting. But the system is so robust and flexible I'm confident I can be satisfied with the results.

Unfortunately I'm a bit of a retard when it comes to scripting HL's user files so my players are having to be patient with me as I stumble through the learning process of making the tool do what I want. I am blessed though, one of my players is a professional software developer, so I can upon ocassion amuse him greatly with my ham-handed attempts in putting these together

But I enjoy the act of learning and challenging myself to acquire new skills so it's time well spent. Having been inspired by Mateus Luz, after I've gotten enough feedback and playtesting I may consider doing something on a more public scale of what I put together, but that will require me spending some time reading up on the legalities of such a project, something which will have to wait till I clear other projects off my plate.

​All that said TheStray7 , based on your reply, I'd say you possess the insight and awareness to do a conversion for your table that'll make you happy.

Reality is a matter of perception, challenging one's own or that of others is not a crime, it is a service.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker1728 View Post
                ​All that said TheStray7 , based on your reply, I'd say you possess the insight and awareness to do a conversion for your table that'll make you happy.
                Thanks for the kind words!

Yeah, I've run enough SW (been playing since Explorer's Edition) to do my own conversion work (including the development of my own custom powers to meet the needs I had for such things). The point of my post was to offer a word of caution to the OP, though, about some places where I felt the base resources of SW might be lacking in comparison to Scion.

When the cat's a Stray, the mice will pray...

Comment

If anyone wants to keep an eye on a WiP; there is an upcoming Powered by the Apocalypse game called Demigods coming out that looks like it fits right in Scion's ballpark, being a game of modern demigods under fate's influence, but seemingly a lot lighter. It's site has a freely released quickstart that shows off the player options (meaning it's technically playable). It looks really neat!
                  Last edited by Darkfoxdev; 02-23-2021, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X