[2e] Let's try and guess Callings!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2e] Let's try and guess Callings!

So we know that (in Hero, at least) there will be ten Pantheons who each have between seven and twelve deities, and that each of those deities has three of the eleven Callings, one of which is passed on to their Scions. I figured it might be fun to try and puzzle out likely Callings for some major gods, but didn't want to fill up the Ask Neall thread with it. To recap:

Pantheons: Norse, Hindu, Japanese, Algonquian, Egyptian, Yoruban, Chinese, Aztec, Greco-Roman, and Irish.
    Callings: Creator, Guardian, Healer, Hunter, Judge, Leader, Liminal, Lover, Sage, Trickster, and Warrior.

My knowledge is mostly of the Egyptian gods, so I'll start with them. Azar/Osiris is obvious both a Leader and a Liminal god, existing as king of the underworld, but the third is a little tougher to pin down; I think that he and his wife, Aset/Isis, likely share being Lovers. Aset's a goddess of magic and names, so Sage is likely, and her ability to revive her dead and dismembered husband marks her as a Healer.

Ra and Heru/Horus overlap significantly, but are certainly both Leaders and Warriors; Heru is also a god of the hunt, while Ra is sometimes the creator god. Sutek/Set is a Trickster in that he lies outside the order of the traditional Egyptian structure, and is probably both a Guardian (in his role as protector of the solar barge) and a Warrior. Anpu/Anubis is the easiest to classify, as a Liminal/Guardian/Judge. Djehuty/Thoth is a blatant Sage, as the inventor of writing and patron of sciences, but he's also a Judge and arbitrator between the gods and a Guardian of the solar barge.

That takes us up to six or seven gods already, and I'd be surprised if they get too many more than the minimum. Bast and/or Sekhmet (will the writing team combine them, I wonder?) have to make it in, and I think Ptah and Hathor are probably as well. I'm afraid Sobek is a little too niche, which bums me out, but you never know.
    Last edited by atamajakki; 06-06-2016, 05:28 PM.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Eir -Norse-, medicine and healing.

WoD-Dark Eras!! (Backed for Viking Age Werewolf)

Comment

Greco-Roman: Lover, Sage, Warrior

Egyptian: Leader, Creator, Judge

Hindu: Healer, Lover, Sage

Chinese: Leader, Liminal, Sage

Japanese: Trickster, Guardian, Warrior

Aztec: Warrior, Guardian, Hunter

How's that?

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
        Greco-Roman: Lover, Sage, Warrior

Egyptian: Leader, Creator, Judge

Hindu: Healer, Lover, Sage

Chinese: Leader, Liminal, Sage

Japanese: Trickster, Guardian, Warrior

Aztec: Warrior, Guardian, Hunter

How's that?
        Each god has three Callings, not each Pantheon.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

Each god has three Callings, not each Pantheon.

Ah, I misunderstood. Though that does allow for greater diversity.

Comment

damn Odin is difficult. Judge, Leader, Liminal, Sage, Trickster, Warrior

Which three of those do you drop?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Odin's is definitly one of those deities which a lot of associaitions,but i can think he should be a Leader,Sage And trickster

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Perhaps one potential benefit of being head of a pantheon is additional Callings?

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

Zeus: Leader, Warrior, LOVER

I chose Warrior for Zeus, because of how he defeated Typhon in single combat. A monster who, as far as I can tell, was the size of a planet. His head reached the stars and his arms spanned the horizon.

Amaterasu: Leader, Sage, Guardian
                  Last edited by Nyrufa; 06-06-2016, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                    Zeus: Leader, Warrior, LOVER
                    I think Zeus should be Lover, Lover, and Lover...he did a lot of lovin'...

Comment

Originally posted by danelsan View Post

Perhaps one potential benefit of being head of a pantheon is additional Callings?
                      Yeah, I can see Zeus as Leader, Judge, Lover, Creator, and Warrior equally.

@CaryKingdom - Writer and Ne'er-do-well
                      Deititian at Scion: Second Edition
                      Everything is subject to change; all opinions expressed are solely my own or those of my houseplants.

Comment

Originally posted by SpruceStripedGoose View Post

I think Zeus should be Lover, Lover, and Lover...he did a lot of lovin'...
                        no,he didnt loved no one,he raped people. you gotta call a duck a duck

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post

Sometimes he raped people as a duck!

Zeus was into some kinky shit, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                            I don't know that rape is in any way important to his myth though, we look at Zeus today and say "wow he sure liked to turn in to golden showers or swans and go rape strangers" because that is we see the ancient world through our more modern and developed morals, morals they did not share. But thousands of years ago when these myths were being formed the greater intent was probably to tell stories of Zeus' great passions and how they get him and those around him in trouble.

People weren't supposed to look at his acts and say "wow don't be a rapist" because they didn't care about that, they were supposed to look at him and say "wow better show some self control". I doubt Zeus is still going around raping people in the modern setting of Scion's World because that's not the core of his myth, but is he still a reckless philanderer like he was thousands of years ago? probably.

Comment

Perhaps Creator then, rather than Lover. He created half of his pantheon with his lust, and numerous other central figures to his mythology. Also I think the more vital aspect of those stories wasn't the relationship between Zeus and his wife or lover or victim, but rather as a fertility figure spreading his seed everywhere it could be spread.

@CaryKingdom - Writer and Ne'er-do-well
                              Deititian at Scion: Second Edition
                              Everything is subject to change; all opinions expressed are solely my own or those of my houseplants.

Comment

Working...
                              X