Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A guessing game! Neat!
    Norse:
    Loki: Trickster, Liminal, Creator (due to inventiveness, the many objects the gods possess because of him, and the fishing net story. First two callings are self-explanatory.)
    Odin: Leader, Liminal, Warrior (god of the warrior elite, but also a transgressor, shapechanger and wanderer.)
    Thor: Guardian, Warrior, Liminal (Defends the boundaries of civilization, ‘nuff said.)
    Freyr: Lover, Healer, Hunter (Honestly, for a fertility god he can be fierce, plus the association with the wild boar)
    Freya: Warrior, Liminal, Lover (Okay, she needs Sage too, as the resident Seidr-woman, but there is not enough room.)
    Frigg: Sage, Guardian, Judge (Mystery, protection, truth)
    Heimdall: Guardian, Warrior, Liminal (So very straightforward. Guards one of the most important borders, fights, wanders)
    Tyr: Warrior, Judge, (Either liminal because of Fenris, or guardian)
    Bragi: Creator, Sage, Judge(because poetry is associated with truth?)
    Idunn: Creator, Healer, Guardian (Well, the Thiazzi incident shows she needs others to look out for her, but she was able to protect the apples)
    Baldr: Healer, Guardian, Liminal (third calling because he is a death-and-rebirth figure, but a case for Judge can be made, due to Forseti)
    Skadi: Hunter, Judge, Warrior (Don’t mess with her. Just don’t.)

Hindu:
    Brahma: Creator, Judge, Sage (Is there such a thing as “too obvious”?)
    Vishnu: Guardian, Healer/Warrior, Trickster (Can we just say the second Calling changes depending on what is necessary right now?)
    Shiva: Judge, Liminal , Hunter (He represents an unreachable truth/standard holy men aspire to, transcends every boundary, and is the Lord of the Wild to boot.)
    Uma: Judge, Guardian, Healer/Warrior (How about *you* try waking up Kali)
    Lakshmi: Creator, Healer, Lover (Successful, lucky, kind and devoted)
    Saraswati: Sage, Creator, Judge (Lady of knowledge, truth and inspiration)
    Indra: Warrior, Guardian, Leader (A mighty bull among gods)
    Agni: Liminal, Judge, Sage (Everybody’s guest, all-knower, seven-tongued, poet)
    Ganesha: Sage, Guardian, Judge (Is giving Judge to gods associated with the discerning of truth even justified? I think it is!)
    Varuna: Judge, Liminal, Guardian (all about Rta. In terrible mood because of Mitra’s absence.)
    Yama: Judge, Liminal, Sage (The Nachiketa story shows he is associated with knowledge and wisdom)
    Ganga: Healer, Lover, Guardian (Pure, protective, irresistible)

Japanese:
    Amaterasu: Leader, Judge, Guardian (This sun goddess has no time for bullshit)
    Susanoo: Warrior, Liminal, Guardian (Fights, doesn’t play by the rules, protects the land from Yamato no Orochi)
    Tsukiyomi: Liminal, Sage, Judge (Moon god. Very particular about formalities. And food, apparently.)
    Izanagi: Creator, Guardian, Healer (Creation, purification, protection - kinda straightforward?)
    Izanami: Liminal, Creator, Judge (for vindictiveness)
    Hachiman: Warrior, Guardian, Leader(must have for military commanders)
    Fujin/Raijin: Warrior, Liminal, Guardian (or does Trickster fit better?)
    Inari: Liminal, Creator, Healer (Gender boundaries? Never heard of those)
    Okuninushi: Guardian, Leader, Liminal (Relinquished control of the land, but not the responsibility)
    Kannon: Healer, Guardian, Creator (Overworked, but can’t stop)
    Ame no Uzume: Liminal, Trickster, Creator (Stirring up trouble and can’t stop)
    Ryujin: Liminal, Guardian, Sage (Mysterious dragon beneath the waves. Hard to pin down.)
    Last edited by Xanthias; 06-17-2016, 01:28 PM.

Comment

The Tuatha are difficult to guess, as their only extant stories are from well after they were actually worshipped, written down by Christian priests who wrote about them as descendants of Noah. We don't know what archetypes they were worshipped as.

You just have to assume Callings based on how you want to interpret their actions in those stories, (Nuada as Leader and Dian Cecht as Healer are fairly easy, Bres and Midir not so much).

NOTE: I'm not saying Neall et. al. won't make awesome, playable, interesting interpretations of the Tuatha's Callings, just that it's not super easy to predict which creative direction they'll take, compared to better documented Pantheons like the Theoi.
      Last edited by Arlecchino; 06-10-2016, 08:48 PM.

@CaryKingdom - Writer and Ne'er-do-well
      Deititian at Scion: Second Edition
      Everything is subject to change; all opinions expressed are solely my own or those of my houseplants.

Comment

Originally posted by Arlecchino View Post
        The Tuatha are difficult to guess, as their only extant stories are from well after they were actually worshipped, written down by Christian priests who wrote about them as descendants of Noah. We don't know what archetypes they were worshipped as.

You just have to assume Callings based on how you want to interpret their actions in those stories, (Nuada as Leader and Dian Cecht as Healer are fairly easy, Bres and Midir not so much).
        That's very true, but we must make do with the sources we do have.
        Say, let us talk about Midir. Love troubles seem to be an important part of his legend. As well as the fact that he is a great ruler in the Otherworld - does this mean Liminal, Leader or both? How about the tricks he is so fond of? Using brains before brawn might mean he is a Trickster, too. Which would be very interesting, because that's an unexpected archetype for such a dignified and lofty figure.
        Incidentally...

Irish:
        The Dagda: Leader, Warrior, Liminal
        The Morrigan: Warrior, Liminal, Sage
        Dian Cecht: Healer, Judge, Sage
        Nuada Airgetlam: Leader, Guardian, Warrior
        Lugh Lamhfhada: Leader, Warrior, Creator
        Brighid: Creator, Healer, Guardian
        Goibniu: Creator, Healer, ? Boann: Sage, Liminal, Creator
        Oghma: Sage, Judge, Warrior
        Aengus: Lover, Creator, ?
        Manannan Mac Lir: Liminal, Judge, Sage
        Midir: Liminal, Lover, Trickster?

Aztec:
        Huitzilopochtli: Warrior, Leader, Guardian
        Tezcatlipoca: Liminal, Warrior, Trickster (Yes, Sage is also necessary, but... Only three slots. Actually, is there a calling that wouldn't fit Tezcatlipoca? Healer, I guess...)
        Quetzalcoatl: Sage, Creator, Leader (as shown in the fall of Tollan story)
        Xipe-Totec: Creator, Healer, Liminal
        Tlaloc: Creator, Liminal, Guardian (Is the third one a stretch?) Chalchiuhtlicue: Creator, Healer, Judge
        Tlazolteotl: Judge, Liminal, Lover (Interesting combo)
        Huehueteotl: Creator, Guardian, Liminal
        Xochiquetzal: Lover, Healer, Liminal (Passions, blooming life, transitions)
        Xochipilli: Lover, Liminal, Trickster
        Mictlantecuhtli: Liminal, Judge, Guardian
        Mixcoatl: Hunter, Warrior, Liminal

Greco-Roman:
        Zeus: Leader, Judge, Guardian
        Hera: Judge, Guardian, Leader
        Poseidon: Liminal, Creator, Leader
        Athene: Guardian, Creator, Warrior
        Apollo: Creator, Sage, Healer
        Hermes: Liminal, Trickster, Sage (hey there, Trismegistos)
        Artemis: Hunter, Guardian, Liminal
        Hephaistos: Creator, Liminal, Judge?
        Dionysos: Liminal, Creator, Hunter
        Aphrodite: Lover, Creator, Trickster
        Ares: Warrior, Guardian, Leader
        Demeter: Creator, Guardian, Judge
        Last edited by Xanthias; 06-10-2016, 04:48 PM.

Comment

I think it's a case where if you have Liminal and Trickster at the same time you can probably settle for one or the other. Instead of having Liminal Trickster Sage Odin we can maybe just go Liminal Judge Leader (or Warrior? I don't recall off the top of my head).

But sexually.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellis View Post
            I think it's a case where if you have Liminal and Trickster at the same time you can probably settle for one or the other. Instead of having Liminal Trickster Sage Odin we can maybe just go Liminal Judge Leader (or Warrior? I don't recall off the top of my head).
            Awwww. But if those are two distinct Callings, they probably are not interchangeable. While these archetypes might overlap - so do Guardian and Warrior. Say, Gwyn ap Nudd is a liminal figure, Eris is a trickster... but Loki or Hermes are definitely both. Why choose between two awesome Callings when you can have both, if they fit?

Comment

Netjer

Re- Leader, Liminal, Creator
              Osiris- Liminal, Leader, Sage (last one is definitely a stretch)
              Ptah- Creator, Sage definitely but the last one alludes me, Leader/guardian?
              Isis- Sage, Healer, Trickster
              Anubis-Judge, Liminal, Guardian
              Bast- Guardian, Warrior, Hunter
              Set-Trickster, Guardian, Warrior
              Horus- Warrior, Leader, Hunter
              Hathor- Lover, Warrior, Healer (I always felt Hathor should have been more prominent since she was such a Huge goddess to the ancient Egyptians)
              Thoth- Sage, Judge, Guardian

I left out the more primordial gods; Nut, Geb, and Sobek while widely worshiped they feel less like gods and more forces.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                no,he didnt loved no one,he raped people. you gotta call a duck a duck
                Hey,i apologize for i said here. Zeus ain't no rapist,thatwas a wrong information i gor from a book. sorry for the trouble

Comment

Working...
                X