What are your character concepts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• atamajakki
    started a topic What are your character concepts?

What are your character concepts?

Just like it says on the tin; what characters, past or present, have you cooked up for Scion? I figure a thread like this helps to pass the wait between now and release, and helps folks like me who are getting into the game with 2e understand just what the game can do.

One very rough idea I'm working with is the idea of a Scion of Azar (Osiris) who is a transgender woman, calling upon the idea that Azar was castrated before becoming pharaoh of Duat. I like the parallels between shedding one's own life to become someone new and greater and shedding the trappings of the mortal, earthly world to achieve divinity in another world. Might even go all the way and make her an Incarnate, subconsciously walking Azar's road in life.

• Kyman201
    replied
    Originally posted by ZipDrive View Post

Where is this errata?
    It got shared on a fan Discord and I figure it'll get added to the FAQ document eventually. I'll just share it here-

Aggravated (2): This weapon deals grievous magical damage, such as a blade made of raw fire or lighting, or the revealed face of a God. Aggravated Injury Conditions may not be healed during a combat scene, whether by powers or spending Tension. If an antagonist has a regenerative effect, it cannot heal Aggravated damage. Armor does not apply against Aggravated damage unless it also has an appropriate Resistant Tag. This is meant expressly for magical and supernatural sources of injury.

Leave a comment:

• ZipDrive
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
    The Aggravated tag got some errata, so it ignores armor, plus aggravated injuries can't be healed in combat, and indeed can't be healed period without magic.
    Where is this errata?

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Jackie Clay: As a half Japanese immigrant, Jackie's heritage and upbringing has left her with mixed feelings on her place within society. She spent the first 10 years of her life in the united states, being raised according to American culture and attending school as a straight A student, before her parents decided rather unceremoniously to move to Japan, where she spent the next 10 years of her life trying to adapt to the sudden culture shock and her grades being negatively impacted from the stress. It was this rapid change in environment that drove her to pursuing an interest in sports as a means of relieving her frustrations, and kendo was chief among them.

Most people take up the blade as a means of achieving victory in battle. But for Jackie, she was more focused on the artistry behind it. More often than not, she would find herself entering meditative trances during her lessons, blocking out all distractions and just focusing on perfecting her technique. By the time she turned 20, she could breeze through even the most complex training regiments with pure muscle memory, establishing herself as one of the greatest masters the dojo had ever produced. This was when her father decided to finally reveal his true identity as Hachiman the God of Battle, and told her he would be returning to the life of military service.

Since her visitation, Jackie has aspired to be as dignified a role model as possible. Having first hand experience of what it's like to be caught between two cultural backgrounds, her first response to the situation is to act as mediator and try to establish an agreeable compromise. She does not draw her blade in the pursuit of glory and honor, she draws it because the situation has reached a point where conflict is now unavoidable. Indeed, for the daughter of a War God, she seems to be remarkably focused on peaceful diplomacy over the clashing of weapons. It is sure to be a welcome change of pace for any band of Heroes that have preconceptions about her kind of lineage.

Before he left, Hachiman bestowed Jackie with a couple graduation presents to show his approval for her mastery of combat. The first present he called the Five Body Blade; a katana who's size alone should have made it unwieldy, yet Jackie was astonished to find that it functioned perfectly. The second present was the Blade Dancer's Robes, which empowered her with grace and precision that no amount of mortal training could rival.

-----------------------------------

Scion of: Hachiman

Callings: Sage (2), Leader (2), Warrior (1)

Innate Purviews: Yaoyorozu-no-kamigami, Artistry

Additional Purviews: War, Epic Dexterity, Epic Stamina, Passion (admiration)

-------------------------

Five Body Blade (4): Resembling a two handed katana with an abnormally long blade, Jackie's father claims that this sword was able to cleave through five human torsos with a single swing. After testing it out in battle for herself, she is inclined to believe him! The relic grants its wielder access to the War purview, and adds the Reach tag to the Great Sword template. The blade itself has also been sharpened to perfection, adding a +2 Enhancement when attempting to Inflict Damage on the opponent.

Motif: Fight against overwhelming odds.

--------------------------------------------

Blade Dancer's Robes (2): Appearing as a set of traditional kendo robes, yet being virtually weightless, the Blade Dancers Robes are aptly named for their functionality. Those capable of harnessing their robes' power will find their performance in battle to be nothing short of awe inspiring. The robes grant the wearer access to the Epic Dexterity and the Passion purviews, and classify as Soft Armor.

Motif: All shall marvel at your performance in battle

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    I'm just giving suggestions, if you can think of a better motif then by all means go for it

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied

It'll still need a Motif, something that encompasses the kinds of Marvels you perform with the Purviews associated with it, and gives a hint as to its personality. Such as "Whoever Holds This Spear Will Holds Destiny Itself"

Alright, added the last bit. I assume it doesn't have to be quite so literal?

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Thanks. Anyways, I think it looks decent enough now. Still getting used to the way 2nd edition handles things.
    It'll still need a Motif, something that encompasses the kinds of Marvels you perform with the Purviews associated with it, and gives a hint as to its personality. Such as "Whoever Holds This Spear Will Holds Destiny Itself"

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied

Weapon Tags are mentioned in Origin. And the weapons are so simplified they don't need a massive amount of charts with a bunch of Meaningless Numbers. And yes, for a Relic Weapon you just add the tag on top of the basic templates. So your spear would probably have the Lethal, Melee, Reach, Thrown, and Aggravated tags.

(Spear sample template found in a sidebar on page 124 of Origin)

Thanks. Anyways, I think it looks decent enough now. Still getting used to the way 2nd edition handles things.

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Decided to go with the Aggravated tag. I think I did it right, by saying it applies to the spear template?

I'm scanning through Origin and Hero, trying to find a chart that explains basic weapon layouts, like 1st edition had. But I can't seem to find anything, unfortunately.
    Weapon Tags are mentioned in Origin. And the weapons are so simplified they don't need a massive amount of charts with a bunch of Meaningless Numbers. And yes, for a Relic Weapon you just add the tag on top of the basic templates. So your spear would probably have the Lethal, Melee, Reach, Thrown, and Aggravated tags.

(Spear sample template found in a sidebar on page 124 of Origin)

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    With the Enhancement drop to +2, the score of the Relic is down to 3. 4 from the Purviews and 4 from the Enhancement, -5 from the flaws, that's 3. So you can maybe put on some specialty Knacks, or maybe the Aggravated tag.

The Aggravated tag got some errata, so it ignores armor, plus aggravated injuries can't be healed in combat, and indeed can't be healed period without magic.

Decided to go with the Aggravated tag. I think I did it right, by saying it applies to the spear template?

I'm scanning through Origin and Hero, trying to find a chart that explains basic weapon layouts, like 1st edition had. But I can't seem to find anything, unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    With the Enhancement drop to +2, the score of the Relic is down to 3. 4 from the Purviews and 4 from the Enhancement, -5 from the flaws, that's 3. So you can maybe put on some specialty Knacks, or maybe the Aggravated tag.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Wow, that spear needs some Flaws on it to balance it out. In 2e, the first two Purviews on a Relic cost two points apiece, so the Purviews alone bring its cost up to 4.

General Enhancement, like you've given it, cost two more points for each Enhancement, so that's 6 Points from the Enhancement.

That's a net score of 10, so you'll need 5 dots worth of Flaws to bring it down to the 5-point cap. From the list on Page 211 of Hero, you may wish to consider adding the Flaw that when the Relic is used, the Storyguide gains a point of Tension, to reflect the Fraught history of the spear, and maybe the one that says once per Arc the User gains the Paying Tribute Condition to necessitate how the Hero has to do something to maintain ownership of the Spear.

Also, if you want the spear to be used for abilities that control Destiny, it should have the Fortune Purview, not the Prosperity Purview. Prosperity is for Wealth and Economic Gain.

The way I keep it straight is to remember that you visit a Fortune Teller to get your future read.

Yeah, I was going to put a flaw on it, but couldn't think of a good enough one. Mind you, I was writing and posting this at like 4 in the morning, so probably wasn't the most focused at the time.

I was thinking something along the lines of the relic attracting constant attention from people trying to seize control of it, like once per session you have to deal with agents of the Vatican or something. Either taking the (varies) flaw of having it bound by Fate, or take the (5 dot) flaw that requires the wielder to imbue a dot of Legend?

I went with the Prosperity purview because, at the time, I was imagining the wielder using it to establish their own nation that would endure through the ages, instead of focusing entirely on their own benefit. But after re-reading the Fortune purview, it seems like that may indeed be more appropriate.

I reduced the ENHANCEMENT down from +3 to +2, and added the Jinxed and Paying Tribute flaws, which should equal 5 points all together. How's it look now?
    Last edited by Nyrufa; 10-21-2019, 09:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Wow, that spear needs some Flaws on it to balance it out. In 2e, the first two Purviews on a Relic cost two points apiece, so the Purviews alone bring its cost up to 4.

General Enhancement, like you've given it, cost two more points for each Enhancement, so that's 6 Points from the Enhancement.

That's a net score of 10, so you'll need 5 dots worth of Flaws to bring it down to the 5-point cap. From the list on Page 211 of Hero, you may wish to consider adding the Flaw that when the Relic is used, the Storyguide gains a point of Tension, to reflect the Fraught history of the spear, and maybe the one that says once per Arc the User gains the Paying Tribute Condition to necessitate how the Hero has to do something to maintain ownership of the Spear.

Also, if you want the spear to be used for abilities that control Destiny, it should have the Fortune Purview, not the Prosperity Purview. Prosperity is for Wealth and Economic Gain.

The way I keep it straight is to remember that you visit a Fortune Teller to get your future read.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    (I'm not very satisfied with the way I wrote his relic. If anybody has any advice, feel free to share!)

Daniel Aurgurius:

Unlike most Scions, Daniel's true origins were never concealed from him. The coven who raised him wasted no time in letting him know that he was a son of Mars, and that he was destined for greatness. As soon as he was old enough for proper schooling, they devoted his educational upbringing to matters of war and state. They sought to groom young Daniel into a future commander, somebody who could bring back the glory days of the Roman empire through military conquest.

Being raised on a military base was challenging, to say the least. But throw in the fact that virtually everybody stationed there worshiped Mars, and it's not hard to imagine that he did not have much in the way of a normal childhood. By the time he became old enough for active service, however, Daniel had matured into a disciplined soldier. One who would have no doubt passed the officer's academy with flying colors, had Fate not decided to intervene.

Turns out, trying to slip a child of the gods into active military service isn't so easy, and the base that Daniel was stationed at finally came under attack by enemies of a more Legendary nature than mere soldiers. The coven fought with all the ferocity befitting servants of war, but mortal weapons are rarely effective against supernatural creatures. This was the moment for Daniel to finally demonstrate his worth as a child of Mars. Quickly recalling his lessons of Hercules, Daniel rounded up a small squad of recruits and ordered them to surround and restrain the movements of a rampaging Nemean lion. Their bullets simply bounced off its hide with little effect, but they managed to distract the creature long enough for Daniel to get it into a stranglehold, as he immediately proceeded to choke it to death!

By the time the battle was over, the coven stood victorious. Their victory being thanks to Daniel's tactical prowess and fearless resolve. That was when one of the recon soldiers ran up to him with a sealed package in their hands and an impressed smirk on their face. The soldier introduced themselves as Mercury, and said they were to deliver a message from Daniel's father.

Obviously, Daniel's military career was cut short. He couldn't very well join the army if he was going to attract the attention of monsters who could laugh off a mortar shell to the face. So instead, he hopes to become the leader of his own band of Scions, putting his training to good use by coordinating the other members to make the best use of their talents. His father's reputation, specifically their Greek alias, sometimes makes it difficult for him to earn the respect he deserves. Which is why Mars has granted Daniel with what is perhaps one of the most controversial birthrights in the Theoi's arsenal, the Spear of Destiny!

Scion of: Mars

Callings: Warrior (2), Leader (2), Judge (1)

Innate Purviews: Metamorphosis, Order

Additional Purviews: War, Fortune

-------------------------------

Spear of Destiny (5):

Purviews: War, Fortune

Enhancements: +2, and adds the Aggravated tag to the Spear template

Motif: Write your own destiny, with the blood of your foes.

Flaws: The controversial reputation of the Relic has jinxed it, and each use adds a point of Tension to the pool. Additionally, the Gods would never allow such a valuable artifact to fall into the hands of the unworthy. Once per arc, the relic's divine patron will demand a service to maintain the right to carry it, applying the Paying Tribute Condition.

Also known as the Spear of Longinus, this weapon once belonged to a Roman soldier of the same name. According to legend, they used it to stab the body of Christ, and the spear received a modicum of divine power from being anointed in his blood. True to its name, legend claims that whoever wields the spear will have the power to control destiny itself, building and destroying civilizations as they see fit. Although this relic was originally used by a worshiper of the Theoi, the origin in which the spear received its power has ignited theological debate over which religion has the right to claim ownership of the spear. Scions of the Theoi must be ever cautious of Christians, who will undoubtedly seek to claim the holy artifact for their own reliquary.
    Last edited by Nyrufa; 10-22-2019, 03:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Got my Origin and Hero 2nd edition PDF's, and eager to start coming up with new concept ideas!

Molly Balstad: Not every member of the Aesir is an axe swinging barbarian looking to earn their place at the table in the halls of Valhalla. Molly is one such example of this, as she prefers the ways of diplomacy and peaceful coexistence over hostile aggression and clinging to old grudges.

Her time before her visitation was spent in service to humanitarian efforts. Contributing to charities, leading support groups, protesting for human rights and so on. Her only goal in life was to make it a safer and more tolerant place for as many people as possible. And it was this altruism which eventually garnered the attention of Baldur, the God of Love, who came to visit her upon her 18th birthday with news that she was one of his progeny.

Much like her divine father, Molly has a history of being loved by just about everyone around her. It's hard to feel animosity towards the girl, when her compassion for others seems to be genuinely earnest. Even if she does come off as naive at times, by always striving to see the good in others; even if they can not recognize the good within themselves. This divine charisma is not merely limited to just humanity, either, for Molly has also extended her offerings of peace to the very enemy of the gods, the Titans and their monstrous spawn!

As it turns out, Molly has taken a hard look at the actions of her pantheon and come to the conclusion that Ragnarok may actually be a self fulfilling prophecy. After all, if you treat everybody in the Nine Realms as a potential threat, you shouldn't really be surprised when they all decide to retaliate against you. If the Aesir wish to avoid their gruesome deaths at the hands of the Titans, they should be working to make amends for their more grievous transgressions, instead of continuing to perpetrate them.

Since her visitation, not much has changed from her daily routine. She continues with her humanitarian missions, only now her efforts have broadened to a wider scale than just focusing on mortals. She has become a full fledged pacifist, and seeks to keep hostilities to a minimum whenever possible. Even in cases where combat proves to be unavoidable, she attempts to limit casualties by using her new divine powers to tend to the sick and injured, regardless of which side of the conflict they were on. Such generosity has gradually earned the respect of her enemies, but also the mistrust of her allies.

Despite her noble intentions, Molly's quest to mend the gap between the Aesir and Titans is doomed to failure. By Fate's decree, Odin's paranoia will eventually drive him over the edge, and Molly will not survive his wrath that is to follow. Because she refuses to die like a proper warrior, Molly's spirit is consigned to the halls of Hel; the glory of Valhalla being forever denied to her. Upon learning of her death, the Titanspawn realize that Odin has no intentions of settling things peacefully, which serves to galvanize their hatred towards the gods.

Scion of: Baldur

Callings: Lover (2), Liminal (2), Healer (1)

Innate Purviews: Wyrd, Passion (Love, Peace)

Additional Purviews: Health

Leave a comment:

Working...
X