Previews Rules Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Previews Rules Questions

Since I imagine we'll need one of these.

Starting with an easy one: does Momentum add dice or successes, and how many can you spend at once?

Does having your Path evoked for a Narrative Disadvantage count as its one evocation for the session? And can someone else prompt an evocation (like a FATE compel)?
    Last edited by atamajakki; 09-22-2016, 02:05 PM.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Page 18, the rules for what attribute is used for attacking at what range (which, I should add, is a pretty interesting attempt at solving the Dex = godstat for combat problem found in previous White Wolf/OPP games). The section about Range Modifiers says that you use Cunning for attacks at Long Range. The Range Table says it's Composure. Which is it?

"Won't you believe in him? Even if there is no God, or Buddha...there is still Kamen Rider." —Taki Kazuya, Kamen Rider SPIRITS

Now...count up all your sins.

Comment

Good idea, I'll copy my question from the Ask Neall thread and drop it here.

Three questions so far. How do shields work? I know a buddy of mine is going to try and make a tank character type and will likely use a shield (or even two of them because hes obsessed like that).

When the versatile tag mentions used to stunt does it mean when used with non combat oriented actions or do they get 1 automatic success that can be used on a stunt on each successful attack?

Also, I assume a long bow can use athletics or firearms to make attacks with it so a character can be a good shot without necessarily being everything else athletics entails?

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
        Starting with an easy one: does Momentum add dice or successes, and how many can you spend at once?
        From the system... Looks like Momentum adds dice, and this is noted as being one of the few ways that one can add dice to a roll in Storypath.

Dunno what the limit on that is though, I'll keep looking.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Is Genesis just fluff, or will it have a mechanical effect.

Comment

"Momentum may be spent whenever the player wants to add dice to any pool, one die per Momentum point."

That's all I can find. I assume it's any amount (up to 12 since that's your max.) Looks like it was simplified compared to the alpha version where you had to spend it all at once, or 2 Momentum for 2 dice if it fit your Path. A bit more like Willpower of other WW games now. Also makes sense that you can spend all 12 if you want, considering that's how it used to work.

Book of the Emerald Circle
            Custom Sidereal Charms
            Expanded Sidereal Linguistics

Comment

Just got done reading the damage section. States that stress is not ablative. Not entirely sure if i have this exactly right but I'll give an example of how see it.

When you take stress damage the first time you simply mark the box equal to the damage or take it fully as complications. In the example's case that would be 3. So lets say the person in this example has 5 stamina. They now have their 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th boxes unmarked because they chose to not turn it into a complication.

Next attack they take 2 damage and choose one again to not take a complication. In this case u simply mark their 2nd vitality box leaving their 1st, 4th, and 5th box unmarked rather than them being taken out. Seems ok.

Now what if they take 3 more damage? My 3rd box is already full, but it states after the first time you take stress you can split it. So I could choose to take a -2 complication and 1 point of stress dmg? This all makes sense to me.

My two questions come down to this...

1. Is the above how everyone else has been reading this?

2. The fact that it says "additional stress after this" does that mean that you cannot split the first amount stress damage that is done to a empty vitality track? If a character has 2 stamina and they are hit for 3 stress they are unable to take a -2 complication and take mark their 1st stress vitality slot?

EDIT: Another question. What happens if you take 1 stress damage when you have your 1st vitality slot filled and your -1 complication slot filled?

I guess I just need this entire damage system explained a little better overall.
              Last edited by Yig1015w; 09-22-2016, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Yig1015w - For what it's worth, that's mostly my read. I think the "First time you take Stress" means that you can't split stress that has already been split.

So, hypothetically, let's say that you roll VERY poorly and take five Stress. Rather than filling your 5-box, you can split it into, say, your 2-box and 3-box. But you can't, say, take that split Stress, and split it again, in this case taking your 2-stress and splitting it into 1-stress and a complication.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

So stress damage can only grant two complications from a single slot? Why couldnt someone split that 5 stress into two -2 complications and 1 -1 complication. What happens if they were hit for something crazy like 7 damage? Splitting it into two complications means a -4 slot and a -2 slot. Is that last point of stress forced into your vitality slot? But what if your 1st vitality slot is already full? Does it then get sent down to a 3rd complication? Seems like a complicated system for what seems to be fairly simple one overall.

Seems like it would have been much cleaner and simplier to just have your vitality equal your stamina and take dmg normally (from left to right) with the option of reducing it with injury complications totaling no more than -9. (The total of current complication values allowed)
                  Last edited by Yig1015w; 09-22-2016, 07:34 PM.

Comment

I honestly have no idea if you can split it into multiple sources at once. I'm just guessing here.

Comment

We are both in the same boat. lol

Comment

My understanding is it works like this:

If you take 3 stress, you fill your 3rd Vitality box. If you took 3 stress again, you must then split it between Injuries and other Vitality boxes. So you could take a -1 Injury and fill your 2nd Vitality box, or take a -2 Injury and fill your 1st Vitality box. Let's say they take the former. If they have Stamina 4, their Vitality track would look like this: [ ] [x] [x] [ ].

My assumption is that you can't split stress at all between Vitality boxes. So, for example, say you have Stamina 3 (and 3 Vitality boxes) and they're all unfilled. You take a hit with 5 stress. That means you immediately must take at least a -2 Injury (along with filling your 3rd Vitality box). You can't break it down and fill your 2nd and 3rd Vitality boxes.

As far as getting 1 stress if your 1st box is already filled? By what's written you must then take a -1 Injury. IMO it'd also be fine to fill a larger box, if you really wanted to.

---

It's basically exactly like FATE stress boxes work. And it's a pretty simple system once you get the hang of it. The benefit of it is that a smaller number of boxes goes a much longer way. For example, if you had Stamina 3 and you got (Stamina) normal health boxes, you could take 3 stress then you'd be done, everything. In this non-ablative system, you could take effectively 6 stress before filling everything. It's also nice because it rewards characters having high Stamina, because that 4th Vitality box effectively gives you four more health, not one.

Book of the Emerald Circle
                        Custom Sidereal Charms
                        Expanded Sidereal Linguistics

Comment

I'm just hoping this is clarified by a dev sometime soon or if this is a older version that has been changed that we get confirmation on that. A system that promotes high action moments really needs a good system for tracking the condition of the characters. Keeping the faith for now though, it did state that this was the documents from previous playtesting.

EDIT: Random question. I assume all weapons do the same damage, right? It seems like its purely tags and scale if applicable. Seems fine considering there is the brutal tag to offset the requirement of using two hands for bigger weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by Yig1015w View Post
                            EDIT: Random question. I assume all weapons do the same damage, right? It seems like its purely tags and scale if applicable. Seems fine considering there is the brutal tag to offset the requirement of using two hands for bigger weapons.
                            I actually DID hear the answer to this at the 1d4-cast that Neall was on. Yes, numerically, there's no difference between weapons. Just that each weapon's tags will determine what it can do.

So damagewise, you'll get the same umph out of a pair of knuckledusters that you will out of a longbow, but the longbow lets you snipe targets and the knuckledusters are useful up close, in addition to being easier to high thanks to the Concealable tag.

Comment

And most two handers will likely have the brutal tag which gives them all they need to inflict more damage. I actually really like the weapon system. Sorta wish there was light and heavy armors in the game though cus i feel that for a fantasy shard (where u see leather and plate) armor is armor might not be inclusive enough. I guess id like to see a positive to wearing heavy armor rather than just negatives. But i guess we will see when we test it. Does that mean that unarmed deals the same as normal weapons? Whats different from knuckledusters and bare fists?

EDIT: No weapons in the preview atleast have grapple for a tag so I'd hope bare fists would get a bonus to that. Would slightly suck if unarmed was just simply worse then something such as a whip or something that might come with a grapple bonus. I know, stats really don't matter too much and unarmed is usually a stylistic playstyle but this is the stuff I do. I get really into the details of equipment because my players always make a big deal about it too. Gotta figure out the answers for em before they ask to save time.

EDIT2: Regarding the platemail bonus to differentiate it from leather/medium armor I just noticed that resistant mentions that bullet proof makes it ignore piercing exclusively from firearms which means it would be super reasonable to make a encumbering armor be resistant to non firearm piercing or something to that nature.

Super modable system. I like it.
                              Last edited by Yig1015w; 09-22-2016, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X