No announcement yet.

How 'aware' is The World?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suppose part of it, at least for me, is how common are Scions? Since at least those at the Hero-level seem to be able to act more in the open, what is stopping the social Scions from essentially running entire countries or crafting Scions from sending humanity into a shining future? Is it a sort of Mutually Assured Destruction thing where the threat of opposing Scions prevents too overt of action, or somrthing else?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
      An atheist who decides that the so-called "Gods" are really just extradimensional aliens using masks drawn from human history to deceive us and that Scions are half-alien hybrids isn't necessarily unreasonable
      So Stargate SG-1 fans have some vindication? :P

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
        Nope, it's not.

A monotheist who believes that their God is the true one, and that all the others are either unworthy of worship or not "real" Gods isn't being unreasonable. An atheist who decides that the so-called "Gods" are really just extradimensional aliens using masks drawn from human history to deceive us and that Scions are half-alien hybrids isn't necessarily unreasonable. All myths are true, but most people don't know all of the myths.
        ... This is confusing as hell.

I'll just be quiet and wait for what the book says.

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

Originally posted by ffanxii4ever View Post
          I suppose part of it, at least for me, is how common are Scions? Since at least those at the Hero-level seem to be able to act more in the open, what is stopping the social Scions from essentially running entire countries or crafting Scions from sending humanity into a shining future? Is it a sort of Mutually Assured Destruction thing where the threat of opposing Scions prevents too overt of action, or somrthing else?
          Neall has said that the thing about taking over a country is.... Great! You're now the god-king (or god-president) or whatever! Good job.

Now you actually have to run the country.

Good luck.

Comment

*Reads latest KS Update*

Okay, so stuff like "how much the World's mortals actually know" and other setting details is customizable to taste. Okay.
            Last edited by Prometheus878; 09-25-2016, 09:42 PM.

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

Originally posted by Prometheus878 View Post
              *Reads latest KS Update*

Okay, so stuff like "how much the World's mortals actually know" and other setting details is customizable to taste. Okay.
              Given that we've been given mechanical dials in the form of the Modes of Play, I'm not terribly surprised to see them in the lore as well. Modularity is a big push in games these days and I'm glad to see it.

And now I'm wondering if there will be outright Shards in the book somewhere.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

From the Kickstarter update:

Neall:
                In Second Edition, we're expanding Scion's setting in terms of both scope and verisimilitude, while also emphasizing playability. We present a default setting that has gods moving behind the events of much of history (who’s to say they didn’t?) and prime ministers half-heartedly denying the existence of troll preserves, and we also present a lot of options for the Storyguide to perfectly tailor the sentiment and revelations of the World to their players. Scion can be presented many ways.
                Here are some snippets from our setting chapter by Meghan Fitzgerald:
                ---
                Four and a half billion years ago, a ball of molten dust and raw, sun-forged elements coalesced into a planet. Yet the World is Tiamat, carved into shape and form by Marduk. It is Rangi and Papi, locked in their embrace while their children war within them. It was created by a wagtail swimming upon an infinite ocean, and by Q’uq’umatz and Tepeu speaking the word “earth” when floating upon a similar infinite ocean. Atum existed within a very similar ocean, containing all the World within himself, taking the definitions and limits of existence from the Primordial Deities and granting stewardship to the Ennead until he was named. The sons of Burr lifted the World out of another infinite sea, fashioned from the bones and flesh and maggots of long-dead Ymir.

For explorers of the World's vast reaches, its layers upon layers of paradoxical mythology and cycles of death and rebirth provide endless fragments of half-real places, things that both do and do not exist at once. Echoes of humanity's first flame burn in dozens of forgotten niches, each with its own story to tell about whose hand — or paw, or claw — carried it there. Axes Mundi that lead to nowhere flicker in and out of reality based on portents associated with long-dead pantheons. Powerful telescopes capture photographs of planets in deep space that change appearance periodically according to the tides of mutable creation histories. Intrepid pilgrims comb the World's every corner for hints to tales unspun and not yet spun alike.

In broad strokes, the history of the World is easily recognizable. All the major wars happened just as our world remembers them. All the geological and geographical shifts are familiar. Electricity still powers technology, Hollywood still produces multi-million dollar films, and people still commute back and forth to work on traffic-clogged roads. It's in the details where the World starts to look more varied and strange. It's in the motivations behind significant events and the heavier hand of Fate in all things. Some events had different outcomes, where the gods' more direct influence shifted a few pieces on the board here and there, and the dominoes fell in different patterns when the dust cleared. Far fewer people in the World believe in mere coincidence, and even randomness has meaning in a universe where Chaos is a demonstrable Purview of divine power.

With the gods' children wandering the World, it's easy to imagine that every luminary and revolutionary was a Scion. Some of them certainly were. Fate's influence reverberated throughout Europe during the Romantic period as Lord Byron built up and then shattered Fatebound connections one after the other, leading to whole new genres of literature and birthing the modern concept of “ celebrity.” Mongolian Scion Khutulun earned ten thousand horses from failed suitors who couldn't win a wrestling match against her and led her warriors in battle with unparalleled ferocity while simultaneously acting as her father's most valuable advisor. Imhotep, chancellor to the pharaoh and son of Ptah, was the World's first in an absurd number of constructive and artisanal fields. Then he built his own tomb and hid it so well that to this day, children of the Netjer seek its buried stones.

Because all myths are true and the ripples of Fate make them crash into one another on a regular basis, many violent upheavals in the World's history have divine motivations lurking behind their earthly facades. When Scions get involved, the facade is more of a clear glass window, but even then events remain more or less recognizable. These deity-driven wars and invasions more heavily impact Terra Incognita, shifting the balance of power across the Overworld or changing the nature of a god-realm depending on who wins.

Sometimes, they begin in the Overworld only to spill out into the World through worshipers, and other times a Scion sounds the battlecry first and the gods who would profit from her victory gather behind it. The American occupation of Haiti, for example, had dark overtones of warring against the Loa. The Knights Templar led Crusades in an attempt to wipe out pantheistic worship altogether. Caesar's campaign in Gaul wasn't a dubiously legal quasi-war, it was a one-Scion campaign of annihilation and deification by the self-professed Son of Venus against the Gods of the Sacred Shrines. The Theoi (known by a different name, then) killed most of the Nemetondevos while the Romans enslaved their worshipers, and Caesar finally attained the requisite deeds needed to complete Divus Iulius' apotheosis after mortal death.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

The way I have always played it is that while the Gods and Scions are not actively keeping things secret... Fate is arranging things so that no real evidence is left behind to prove that the Gods, Titans or Scions are near.

​Of course, there will be witnesses to these actions... some times a lot of witnesses... but cameras and other recording devices will mysteriously malfunction or the pictures will be too blurry to make anything out (and no enhancement programs seem to work on cleaning up such pictures). Even the eye witness reports are likely to have wild inaccuracies... or just sound preposterous (especially if there is a more plausible explanation for such an incident). In short... Fate has decreed (for now) that the vast public won't learn the truth (even if a very small percentage gets a glimpse of it). Of course this isn't likely to last forever... for the more people see, the more they believe... and the less hold Fate has on keeping things quiet. With the escape of the Titans, their war with the Gods is growing in scope... and is beginning to spill out into the World where ordinary people can witness it. There will come a time when such belief will reach a tipping point where so many people believe that Fate will no longer keep things hidden. When that will happen or how the truth comes out... no one knows, but even then it is likely that some will still refuse to believe the evidence of their own eyes.

​Think of it as being similar to the belief in UFOs. When the phenomena first began, the number of witnesses were few, the footage was poor and most were not really believed. Yet as the years passed and the number of witnesses grew... more and more clearer pictures appeared... pictures that are becoming harder to discount. More and more people believe that something is out there... though few agree on just what it is. Meanwhile, attempts by those to prove that these incidents are hoaxes and tricks are accused of covering the truth up (even when it can be proved that something was faked).

​Like I said... this isn't a perfect cover-up... as those closest to such incidents (and most likely to be fate-bound to those involved) will remember (though maybe not accurately). They have seen past the thin veneer of normalcy to the true nature of the world. They may not have proof of what they have seen, but that doesn't change what they have witnessed. This could lead to worship of Scions as saviors... or to witch hunts out of fear of what happened. Some are likely to search for a way to prove what they have seen... becoming more and more frustrated with each set back. For every positive reaction, there is likely to be a negative one as well. Just because one can't prove the truth (yet) doesn't mean they stop trying... and if they can identify a Scion... well... let's just say that such individuals could be more persistent, annoying and tenacious than even the worst paparazzi could be.
                  Last edited by Shadowstripe; 10-03-2016, 02:29 PM.

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.
                  I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Comment

Working...
                  X