Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preview Documents Discussion Thread!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Preview Documents Discussion Thread!

    So, since we have the Early Access teaser, the Theoi writeup, and now we have a preview for the intro fiction, I think we could use a dedicated thread to just talk about things we noticed, liked, and things that don't QUITE fit in the "Questions about the teaser core" thread.

    Among all the things I love (seriously, my only complaint so far is that it might take me a bit of time to fully grok the combat), there's ONE thing that really jumped out at me.

    Example: Officers Jud and Nicky might interrogate a suspect together, allowing one of them to roll Presence + Persuasion while the other rolls their own dice pool and adds the result as an
    Enhancement. Alternatively, Jud might go to check on forensics with Reason + Intelligence while Nicky asks the questions on her own.
    Wait a minute... Cops... Jud and Nicky...

    Jud and Nicky...

    ... Judy and- Oh you clever bastards!



    Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

  • #2
    I don't have specific examples right now because work has utterly fried my brain, but the FATE and Powered by the Apocalypse influence all over the game shine clear and are objectively good in my eyes. If the Investigative mode draws on GUMSHOE, the giddiness might make me faint! I adore how simple but deep Paths are, as they neatly handle things usually represented through a cumbersome combination of GM fiat and merits/feats/whatever in other games.

    My only complaint is that we don't have character creation to gawk over; I think being able to spit out some mortals to generate discussion would help generate discussion and an early understanding of Storypath.


    Just call me Lex.

    Female pronouns for me, please.

    Comment


    • #3
      I really love the Path system. I can't begin to describe how awesome it is. I like the idea of Momentum. The weapon tag system is easy to remember and cool. The idea behind Complications and Consolation are really cool. Scale seems like a really interesting idea, and I want to see more about it.

      The only two notable downsides are the taking damage stress and injury complication system. That's a hot mess. And Loki is not a fire god, so that has me a little worried.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by TwitchTheRat View Post
        And Loki is not a fire god, so that has me a little worried.
        The explanation for why he is is quite neat, though, because it obliquely references the reason that he was believed to be a fire god for a long time (Loki/Logi).

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Eggs Maledict View Post
          The explanation for why he is is quite neat, though, because it obliquely references the reason that he was believed to be a fire god for a long time (Loki/Logi).
          But it's wrong. It was a mistake. Why embrace it? Unless the reference is supposed to be tongue in cheek and a bit of comedy.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TwitchTheRat View Post
            But it's wrong. It was a mistake. Why embrace it? Unless the reference is supposed to be tongue in cheek and a bit of comedy.
            I think it's a nod to the fact that mortal belief does influence the gods of the World to a certain degree.

            Speaking of, I think it's freaking awesome that they're adding in narrativist RPG Elements- what better for a game about playing the heroes of modern day sagas?

            Comment


            • #7
              I was about to address the Nemean Elephant in the room before I saw this thread. Yes, there is so much of FATE in this game, I half expected us to roll 4dF for resolutions.
              I do, like the OP, think that these pieces from other systems are a rather good thing. These bits of rules allow for a more 'sense of wonder' design aesthetic - it is far easier, with what I've seen of this new system, to handle the gonzo action sequences that arise in Scion.

              Comment


              • #8
                Gotta say, I like Eileen in the fiction. Can't wait to see the rest.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by evilnerf View Post
                  Gotta say, I like Eileen in the fiction. Can't wait to see the rest.
                  If I get the fiction correctly she is a PRE visitation scion who had something running with a scion of morrigan?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ryu View Post
                    If I get the fiction correctly she is a PRE visitation scion who had something running with a scion of morrigan?
                    Yeah, they've said elsewhere that she's a Scion of Dagda. So my guess is this piece of fiction is about her visitation.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I wish I had access to a computer that could take the standard site as well as the forums, this one just throws up an error every time.

                      From what I'm hearing here though it sounds good.

                      Originally posted by TwitchTheRat View Post
                      The idea behind Complications and Consolation are really cool. Scale seems like a really interesting idea, and I want to see more about it.

                      The only two notable downsides are the taking damage stress and injury complication system.
                      *looks at bookshelf* so should I be filing this alongside my Fate books instead of my World of Darkness books?

                      Fate does stress and consequences/injuries, and it works really well. I'm not sure how well it'll work here, it took Fate a few tries to get it right (seriously SotC, 5 basic Stress Boxes? Considering that many actions won't be attacks that's long combats), but I suspect that the forum will have worked out decent values within a week of backer pdfs going out. The entire idea of the system is to have a short buffer that refills about every scene, and then consequences/injuries to let you fight longer, and if you get it right it works, depending on the combat people will either risk taking a few consequences (in Fate your Major consequence can stay with you for the entire campaign if you're unlucky, so it's not always something to do lightly) or will concede once they're out of stress.

                      Originally posted by PHGraves View Post
                      I was about to address the Nemean Elephant in the room before I saw this thread. Yes, there is so much of FATE in this game, I half expected us to roll 4dF for resolutions.
                      I do, like the OP, think that these pieces from other systems are a rather good thing. These bits of rules allow for a more 'sense of wonder' design aesthetic - it is far easier, with what I've seen of this new system, to handle the gonzo action sequences that arise in Scion.
                      As long as there's something similar to Create an Advantage and Situation Aspects I'm fine. Those two tools can replace hundreds of pages of systems for various things, including combat techniques, political plays, planning, teamwork, and so on. I personally love Fate (I keep starting attempts to translate WoD and CofD to it), so a heavy Fate influence will just make my inevitable system conversion easier (although I'll need the books because the one thing I'll admit is that OP writes better fluff than I do).


                      Blue is sarcasm. If I suggestion I make contradicts in-setting metaphysics please ignore me, I probably brought in scientific ideas. Appearance 5: for when you're REALLY concerned with your PC's bust size.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by evilnerf View Post

                        Yeah, they've said elsewhere that she's a Scion of Dagda. So my guess is this piece of fiction is about her visitation.
                        Also my guess there (didnt know that that was her the scion of dagda). Especially with "your dad wants to talk"^^

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by TwoDSix View Post
                          As long as there's something similar to Create an Advantage and Situation Aspects I'm fine. Those two tools can replace hundreds of pages of systems for various things, including combat techniques, political plays, planning, teamwork, and so on. I personally love Fate (I keep starting attempts to translate WoD and CofD to it), so a heavy Fate influence will just make my inevitable system conversion easier (although I'll need the books because the one thing I'll admit is that OP writes better fluff than I do).
                          There are, it seems. Stunts (spending extra threshold successes above difficulty) can create Enhancements for your friends or Complications for your enemies. There's also Fields, which are bundles of situational Enhancements or Complications. There's also Conditions, which work very much like temporary Aspects.


                          Book of the Emerald Circle
                          Custom Sidereal Charms
                          Expanded Sidereal Linguistics

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Limited Reagent View Post
                            There are, it seems. Stunts (spending extra threshold successes above difficulty) can create Enhancements for your friends or Complications for your enemies. There's also Fields, which are bundles of situational Enhancements or Complications. There's also Conditions, which work very much like temporary Aspects.
                            Seems overly complex. Part of the beauty of Situation Aspects is that the term covered everything, and thanks to the Fate Point economy theoretically anyone could benefit from them. I mean, I don't know how the system here works, it could be as awesome as tuna on pizza or as horrible as wasabi-flavoured prawn crackers, I'll judge them when I see the full rules, but I wonder what the problem with having them all be the same thing, just attached to something else?


                            Blue is sarcasm. If I suggestion I make contradicts in-setting metaphysics please ignore me, I probably brought in scientific ideas. Appearance 5: for when you're REALLY concerned with your PC's bust size.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Tuna on Pizza, never had it, but concider me intrigued.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X