Brainstorming for an Angelic Pantheon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brainstorming for an Angelic Pantheon

Thinking about how to make an Abrahamic Pantheon work elsewhere led me to settle on the idea that the best approach would be the Angels as the 'Gods,' rather than the monotheistic creator Himself; it offers more options for character creation, neatly dodges the possible offense of "my player character is the Other Messiah," and still allows a group to approach Abrahamic myth in an interesting way that hits all three major faiths within it.

My preliminary thoughts are that the Pantheon and their Scions (who are always Chosen or Created, never Born) work to uphold YHVH's will, but have little or no contact with Him and are left largely to fend for themselves. The Virtue pair should have something to do with service and individualism (so that our buddy Lucifer can be seen as a rogue extreme operating at the unbalanced end of the spectrum), while I'm struggling with a distinct PSP because we lack any examples right now. There might be room to do a divide of some sort to reflect the original religious texts in comparison to the occultism we see with John Dee and later figures, but that might be over-seasoning the pot. Probably stick to the major Archangels, at least to start.

Any thoughts? Do you think this idea is worth pursuing once we see more of the rules?

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

There is already a thread which created the pantheon members and had the beginnings of a PSP for 1E on this board.

Most people agree that it is... generally a bad idea, to have an Abrahamic pantheon.

Comment

Well, an Angelic Pantheon would have to make some compromises- first and foremost, recognizing that other gods do exist. I don't think that it can't be done or that it is a bad idea by its very basis, but it requires some work to fit to the setting. I imagine it would be a mysterious and isolated Pantheon, in which the angels and scions themselves don't really know where God is- there is this hierarchy of angels, and each rank leads to another, and another and another- up to Michael, and he doesn't tell anything. Making God hidden behind layers of hierarchy and bureaucracy could be, I think, interesting path instead of the regular "God is gone and nobody knows where". Also, it should be able for Scions to be Born of angels- it is just a taboo in the Pantheon, which generally ends with punishment.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
        Also, it should be able for Scions to be Born of angels- it is just a taboo in the Pantheon, which generally ends with punishment.
        Bad memories of the Nephilim.

Hm. It could be that for whatever reason angelic-born Scions often end up with supernatural markings, much like Titan Scions. Most common would be gigantism.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post

Bad memories of the Nephilim.

whom? was it some kind of fan project or something?

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

Comment

whom? was it some kind of fan project or something?
            In Biblical apocrypha, the Nephilim were the children of angels and humanity, described as giants, who were wiped out by the Flood. When you mentioned birthing Scions was a taboo for angels, my mind jumped to the Nephilim as the explanation why.

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post

In Biblical apocrypha, the Nephilim were the children of angels and humanity, described as giants, who were wiped out by the Flood. When you mentioned birthing Scions was a taboo for angels, my mind jumped to the Nephilim as the explanation why.
              Oh, I know about the biblical Nephilim- it's just that when you said "bad memories" I've thought that there was some sort of fan project who didn't went out well. What gave you bad memories from them? (or that I have totally misinterpreted what you've said and you meant that the angels have bad memories, which totally makes sense when I think about that..)

Comment

Oh, I know about the biblical Nephilim- it's just that when you said "bad memories" I've thought that there was some sort of fan project who didn't went out well. What gave you bad memories from them?
                Oh, I didn't mean bad memories for me, I meant for the angels.

Comment

I think you are taking this in a good direction (angels only, no direct children). I would lean heavily on a take of "...no other gods before Me" that allows for the existence of other gods without a need to destroy them.

Comment

As an idea, perhaps this could focus more on the plurality of the Elohim rather than a singular creator-God and His angelic servants?

For the PSP, would there be room in there for a pillar-of-salt type thing?

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

You might find some useful inspiration in the In Nomine rpg.

Comment

I posted this on the kickstarter page so I figured id copy it over here as well. People seem to like it so far.

"Probably late to the party but I wanted to chime in on the Abrahamic faith.
                        As a Christian I honestly feel the best way to represent God would but using EI from the Canaanite Pantheon. Some christian fans simply want to be represented while others have said they try to correlate God to fate. I think if we are to be represented fairly then we need him to be equal to other gods in other pantheons rather than making him a unknown power that supremely rules over all. As seemingly insulting as it would be to say the "there is only one true god" statement is false it would be equally insulting to say that in a world where all myths and faiths are true that for some reason the most modernly accepted one is more powerful than all the rest.

Others have mentioned that they could portray EI as getting too big for his britches and stating to his followers that he is the only true god but ultimately that doesn't even need to be the case. What would paint "God" in a more negative light? Saying that he is a megalomaniac who believes he is the true and only god or saying that he is a god who rarely speaks and has zealot followers who take his rarely spoken words farther than he intended. I'd prefer the 2nd one because it ultimately paints mortals as flawed rather than God and fits the theme.

All I can ask is pleeease do not make a Angelic Pantheon canon. I see Scion as a far more sophisticated beast than that. Angels in a pantheon just really doesnt make much sense and it seems really forced rather than graceful. On top of forcing them into only having chosen scions or being destroyed by the mega God above them (who disapproves of nephalem) it just seems like it messes with the formula of scion way too much. Trust me, I'm a huge fan of Wic-Div and the Lucifer character is one of my favorites but I really don't want to see Christianity portrayed in a way where our angels are as powerful as everyone elses gods. That just feels wrong in a system like Scion that tries to equally rep every culture and faith.

And finally, I just trust Neall to do a good of the Canaanite Pantheon as well as Scion as a whole. As someone who followed Scion the whole time Neall has been given authority over it I trust that he cares enough about the game and it's world to represent it properly. I know there are some people who still want the Angelic Pantheon and I'm sure people will make one asap when the game comes out but I reaaaalllly don't want to have that be the canon place of Christianity in "The World". Neall has mentioned how badly he wants to do the Canaanite Pantheon and ultimately I think it would be pretty dang hard to do that properly without atleast nodding towards "God" when it comes to EI... you know, the most high, and the king of the pantheon.

Hopefully that doesn't come off as harsh to anyone out there and hopefully others agree."

Comment

I had no familiarity with the Canaanite pantheon, so I had to look it up, but wow that seems perfect. I definitely think this is the best way to go and to have the Judeo-Christian "God" be a mortal spin-off faction that took El and went and made him a solo act.

Comment

While I would love to get a Canaanite Pantheon, the last thing I want to see is "El as the Judeo-Christian God". There must be a better way to deal with the "monotheistic paradox" of All Myths are True other than that, especially it doesn't really solve the paradox. I think that I would like to see how the Loa are presented in the new edition before making any advances about any "Abrahamic Pantheon", but I don't think that having an angelic pantheon is a problem by its core, although I don't believe it would be canon. I understand the problems people may have about that, and I respect their opinions, so I'm not going to make a big post or something like that.

But please- no "El is the Abrahamic God". It would make cringe so hard I'll crack my teeth.

Comment

I would also suggest making their Virtues at least partially combat related. Angels weren't friendly creatures, they were warriors who got sent out when God wanted to drop the hammer on somebody. If an Arch Angel showed up, it was the Biblical equivalent to God launching a nuke.

Personally I think Akhetatten already satisfies this pantheon just fine, as there appears to be a great deal of correlation between the Titan of Light, it's avatar (Aten), it's servants (who actually include angels), and the Abrahamic faiths.
                              Last edited by Nyrufa; 09-29-2016, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X