Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A handful of missing goddesses (Fan-Made, 2e)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Watcher View Post
    Yeah, Titan and God are a lot like species in Greek Mythology. Hecate is a Titan. The Gods and Goddesses are all the children of Cronus and Rhea. Zeus guarentees Hecate's holdings in the Underworld, the Sea, and the Heavens in return for her support in the Titan War. She's described as being someone even Zeus is respectful to, most likely because she is a generation older than Zeus, which going by the Grecian Age of Saturn theory, means she is more powerful.
    ​Yeah, it says a lot about Hecate that freaking ZEUS showed her so much love! He even ceded a tiny portion of his own domain to her!

​Hecate was clearly a badass. In some versions of the Persephone story, Hecate is the one who directs Demeter to Helios and the truth about Persephone's fate. Stop and think about that. Hecate blew the whistle on Hades' and Zeus' plan to kidnap Persephone. Two of the great rulers of the Pantheon, and she risked incurring their wrath.

​More importantly? No wrath came. There is not one version of the story that I've ever seen in which Hades or Zeus seemed to resent Hecate in any way for messing up their plan. Heck, in some versions of the story, Hecate becomes Persephone's friend and confidant in the Underworld.

​Hecate just seems to go where she wants and do what she wants, and no one seems terribly willing to get in her way.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
    Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Once we've seen their rules, I'm likely to offer Knacks from the Werewolf Path to Hecate's Scions in the same way that Inari's get the Kitsune ones.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

I always liked the syncretism of Sekhmet-Hathor. Second time I ever played a superhero game, it was a character who was semi-divine and always slightly drunk to try and ensure they walked the line between powerful Sekhmet and compassionate Hathor.

Good job, Ata.

Comment

I browsed the Wikipedia page on Hecate to give myself a quick refresher, and I have to say I really like your take on her. The only suggestion I'd make is to also give her Beasts (Dogs) as a purview. From what I read, dogs are one of the most consistent elements associated with her, including some interpretations giving her a dog head. She's certainly an interesting figure from what I read, even from just reading her Wikipedia page.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeldafan42 View Post
            I browsed the Wikipedia page on Hecate to give myself a quick refresher, and I have to say I really like your take on her. The only suggestion I'd make is to also give her Beasts (Dogs) as a purview. From what I read, dogs are one of the most consistent elements associated with her, including some interpretations giving her a dog head. She's certainly an interesting figure from what I read, even from just reading her Wikipedia page.
            She seems to have associations with dogs and horses, but fitting those in means chopping something else. Possibly Darkness, as Moon is much more important to her, to tive us: Beasts (possibly specified into Dogs, Horses), Death, Fortune, Journeys, Moon.

Just call me Lex.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

She seems to have associations with dogs and horses, but fitting those in means chopping something else. Possibly Darkness, as Moon is much more important to her, to tive us: Beasts (possibly specified into Dogs, Horses), Death, Fortune, Journeys, Moon.
              There isn't a cap on how many Purviews a god can have. They get as many as makes sense.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                There isn't a cap on how many Purviews a god can have. They get as many as makes sense.
                Is there anything to balance things out, so that the war/storm/sky/magic/strength god is on the same playing field with a dedicated fire god?

Just call me Lex.

Comment

Is there anything to balance things out, so that the war/storm/sky/magic/strength god is on the same playing field with a dedicated fire god?
                  There sure is.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                    There sure is.
                    This goes to show: I should never, ever summon a djinn.

Just call me Lex.

Comment

This goes to show: I should never, ever summon a djinn.
                      Sorry. If I could spoil everything, I would!

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by unnatural1 View Post
                        Yeah, I wasn't knocking Hestia's importance in Ancient Greek religion. But since her Legend revolves heavily around her staying at home and not doing much, she just doesn't seem quite as useful from a storytelling perspective. She rarely has Scions, and she doesn't tend to get involved in Pantheon politics. Just seems like saving her for a supplement and using another god who is fairly well-known and who is active in the World would be a better idea.

​But yeah, Watcher, you might be right. It's possible Hecate's titanic origins may mean the devs had some other plan for where to put her in the books.

Speaking as someone who;s excited as hell that Hestia is actually in this book, I'm super pleased by it. She's the one olympian that most forget, so seeing her here in 2e makes me really happy. Sure, we could've used Hecate, given that she is kinda important, but it seems like we only got the main players in the pantheon in the preview at least. If anything, I'd wanna see Hecate happen, along with Nix/Nyx, Nemesis, Tyche/Fortuna, Morpheus/Hypnos, Eos, the Muses, and maybe a few others.
                        Clearly the Theoi are one of my favorite/most knowledgeable about pantheons. Can't you tell?

Lex, I may jut ask for some help in writing up a couple extra goddesses from the Theoi, as I have a couple I'd like to see!

Comment

Working...
                        X