Insect Gods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insect Gods

What insect gods are there? Either depicted as insects or with a strong insect theme.

Khepri is known to me.

Tlazolteotl, maybe?

Comment

Serqet - Egyptian Goddess of Poison (among other things) is associated with Scorpions

Ah Muzen Cab - Mayan God of Bees, was very important to the Mayans due to his dominion over honey.

Last edited by Nyrufa; 09-29-2016, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
        Serqet - Egyptian Goddess of Poison (among other things) is associated with Scorpions
        "Other things" being Homestuck.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

Aristaeus is the Greek god of bee-keeping, so he'd have Bees as a purview.

(best remembered in myth for his attempted assault on Eurydice that resulted in her death by poison snake when she tried to flee - setting up Orpheus' journey to the Underworld)

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
            "Other things" being Homestuck.

Not sure what you mean, but she's described as having influence over poison, medicine, magic, fertility, animals, and healing venomous stings and bites.

Comment

Spiders aren't technically insects; but maybe the rather famous trickster from the Orisha is close enough?

Comment

Other than Aristaeus, are there any of European origin?

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                  Spiders aren't technically insects; but maybe the rather famous trickster from the Orisha is close enough?
                  Anansi isn't related to the òrìṣà.

The Kalahari god Kaggen is associated with the ghost mantis.
                  Ītzpāpālōtl ("Obsidian Butterfly") of the Teōtl is associated with lepidopterans as well as bats.
                  Last edited by Lula; 09-29-2016, 11:21 PM.

Currently Writing Scion and Geist for Onyx Path, and many other things for other publishers
                  Crowdfund Me Tha Illiad of MC Homer: a hip hop translation of Homer's Iliad

Comment

I think there it a Hittite Bee Goddess? Not quite Europe however. I never really thought about insect deities in Europe before. There are some dodgy interpretations of a Gaulish Goddess as a Bee Goddess as well, but it's most likely just a misunderstanding of some iconography of hers.
                    Last edited by Watcher; 09-29-2016, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post

Anansi is Ashanti not Yoruban.
                      Last edited by glamourweaver; 09-29-2016, 11:44 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Watcher View Post
                        I think there it a Hittite Bee Goddess? Not quite Europe however. I never really thought about insect deities in Europe before. There are some dodgy interpretations of a Gaulish Goddess as a Bee Goddess as well, but it's most likely just a misunderstanding of some iconography of hers.
                        Said Hittite Goddess is Hannahannah, the divine (grand)mother. The bee theme appears in the Telipinu legend, and nowhere else, AFAIK.

In Europe proper, Artemis has the epithet Melissa - bee, and priestesses of Demeter used to be called Melissae. Whereas Apollo Parnopios is a God who protects against locusts.

Comment

Bhramari Devi is a form of Parvati which took the form of a bee goddess as a way to slay a demon which could not be killed by anyone with two or four legs.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

My new flagship project- Vigilant Times! Take a look and feel free to help

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Not sure what you mean, but she's described as having influence over poison, medicine, magic, fertility, animals, and healing venomous stings and bites.
                            There was a character in Homestuck named Vriska Serket. Serket and Serqet are presumably homonyms so he was just making a pun.

Comment

I realize that I have a tendency to ask questions and not always give the proper context to.

The reason I ask about insect gods is because I am looking for a patron deity for a community of were-roaches.

Alternate angle: What about large insect monsters from myth?

Comment

Working...
                              X