Atlantis Rises... Again.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlantis Rises... Again.

With the Scion 2 Kickstarter funded... and now well past the stretch goal for Fictional Pantheon creation rules in the 2e Companion (and the Atlantean Gods getting a 2e makeover as an example), I've decided to revisit some of my ideas for Atlantis.

​The basic premise for my ideas (not sure if it will be an actual game I run for my players... or merely a story that I will work on) is that while the bodies of the Atlantean Gods were destroyed... the divine essence of them was imprisoned by their Titan-tainted Scions. During the fighting between these tainted Atlanteans and the Gods of the other Pantheons, a few loyalists were able to find and secret the prisons of their Gods away to the far corners of the world where they hoped to release and restore them so that Atlantis could atone for the mistakes of its leaders. Unfortunately, while these merely mortal followers could hide the vessels containing their Gods, they hadn't the power to release or restore them, thus they opted to protect them as best they could... in the hope that one day their Gods could be freed. Sadly, the Gods of the other Pantheons wanted every last man, woman and child that was a descendant of Atlantis to pay for the crimes of their tainted leaders... hunting anyone descended from Atlantis... no matter how many generations removed from their ancestral lands they may have been. Thus, over the years, even these few remaining loyalists to the old Atlantean Gods were found and punished... as were many others whose only crime was that one of their ancestors had been Atlanean. When the last known descendant of Atlantis had been killed... even some of the Gods began to wonder if they had gone too far... if they had delivered Justice by killing those who had committed no crime. In the end, it mattered not, for the deed was done and Atlantis was forgotten... or so they believed.

​Now, in the Modern Age, the Titans have finally broken free of their prison... an act that sent shockwaves throughout the World that also freed many of their followers in lesser prisons. In the far corners of the world where humanity rarely tread, even in the modern age, the Titan forged prisons of the Atlantean Gods also cracked... just enough to allow the essence of the Gods to escape and seek out new bodies. Each traveled far to find a worthy vessel... for to become flesh once more they would need to find one who was descended from their ancient people... a nearly impossible task given with how thoroughly the Gods had hunted them down. Still, there had been a few children of Atlantis that had escaped the fate of their ancestors... either through the mercy of the God that had hunted them... or by some twist of fate that prevented their discovery. Seven such individuals were found and chosen to help the Gods create the last of the Atlantean Scions... mortal incarnations of themselves who might one day reclaim their Godhood and create a new culture in the memory of Atlantis.

​Many of the other Pantheons however still remember how close the Atlanteans came to destroying the world... and fear that new Scions of Atlantis will finish the job... especially with their Titan masters keeping the Gods busy in the Overworld. Thus, it falls to their Scions to prevent these last Atlantean Scions from regaining their power and becoming Gods once more. Some of the Scions with this task will question why they have to hunt those who have done no wrong... and even seem to be thwarting the Titans efforts in the World. Others will blindly follow the word of their parents... while a few will gleefully hunt down these Scions... not because their parent command it, but because it is their nature to do so (Scions as morally corrupt as those that lead Atlantis to its dark fate). Even the minions of the Titans realize the threat these Atlantean Scions could pose should they become Gods once more... and seek to either corrupt them (as was done with their ancestors) or eliminate them. With so many against them, their struggles to survive will become a legendary tale... a legend that can create Gods.

​It should make for an interesting game/story... yes?

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Now I am facing a few minor problems with the characters that will be created for this setting.

​The First is probably the most important... the Visitation. Since the characters will more or less be their Parent God in a mortal body, they can't actually receive a visit from themselves. Of course, it has never been a hard rule that a Parent must visit a Scion to awaken the ichor within them and become a Hero. Eric Donner in 1e wasn't visited by Thor, but by Odin's Ravens... and then encountered Sly, a Giant and the Dwarves before confronting the same Giant on the World Serpent's Eye... any of which would be sufficient to awaken his potential as a Scion. In that vein, I have decided that any encounter with clearly supernatural forces can be sufficient to awaken the ichor within a Scion... allowing them to gain Legend and become a Hero. The most likely source of such encounters (initially) for these Scions will be from Titanspawn... as other Scions may not be easily recognized as being clearly Supernatural.

​The Next major problem is coming up with suitable relics that could have been left behind... either missed in the purging of Atlantis from history... or by the few followers that spirited the essence prisons of the Gods to the far corners of the world. Since the Gods themselves were not active until recent events (and even then in no position to create new relics), the only relics these Scions are likely to find will be truly ancient... from before Atlantis fell (around 10,000 years old or more). Going by the only picture of the Atlantean Gods in the Scion books... I am thinking simple items like Amulets, bracers and such... though with the Atlantean purview dealing with technology... it is possible that they may have created something that might resemble today's technology (and would be seen as an anomalous item to most people who would believe such things out of the reach of ancient humanity... something a lot of conspiracy websites today claim is out there). As for how these Scions get a hold of such items, the fact that I mentioned above that the few loyal followers they once had would likely have tried to prepare for the return of their Gods... creating hidden stashes and temples where they placed the vessels that contained their Gods' essences. They also likely left clues to these locations that only their Gods (or those their Gods would become) could understand. The first major arc, besides finding each other, is likely to take them to such a place where they gain their first relics to let them use their basic Purviews (a common adventure trope).

Lastly, there are the adventures they will participate in. Unlike other Scions, they don't exactly have Parents to guide them towards troubles they should deal with... or to protect them from such dangers. They won't receive messages to head to a given location to do some ritual to prevent some calamity from happening... not that other Scions get those often. Still... there will need to be some variety of adventure for these characters to go through... one can only fight off Titanspawn and misguided Scions from attacking them so many times before it becomes a little stale. Even searching for fragments of Atlantean history can only take them so far... so I will need to come up with additional ideas for various adventures. Perhaps helping mythical creatures that were once protected by Atlanteans, but are now hunted by both the Titans and the other Pantheons (making the Scions the hunters rather than the hunted?).

​Any suggestions for any of these would be appreciated.

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.

Comment

I am curious about one thing... what do people think the Atlanteans would look like.

​I know that any descendants that managed to survive to the modern age would have likely interbred with other people, diluting their (likely) unique appearance considerably over the generations, but still... with the Essence of the Atlantean Gods taking new mortal forms, it is possible that they have strengthened any of those diluted features that remains (and as their Legend grows, it is likely that those features will become more and more Atlantean). The only feature that I can find for Atlanteans in the books is that many seemed to possess an unusual blue-green hair color... while their pictures suggest fair skin, but this is more for the Gods than it is for the Atlanteans themselves (though most Gods tend to have features in common with the people that worship them).

​The main reason I ask this is because it seems that in todays world, unless one has a mix of races present in a group, one is often accused of being racially intolerant against those not represented... which also seems to apply when dealing with more... intimate issues like sexual preferences too (if you don't have an LGBT character in a work of fiction, some may see it as an indication of being anti-LGBT). While I have no problem including such characters in games... I don't do it just to have a token character of that type present... for me there need to be a compelling reason for the character to be that way. Were I to just keep this idea for my players to enjoy... it wouldn't be as much of a problem, but I am also considering making a fan fiction out of this idea (with only passing similarity to the game my players will experience), which opens it up to a wider audience... and potential for such accusations to be made based on the presence (or lack there of) of such characters.

​Any suggestions on how these Atlantean Gods in their Scion incarnations might appear would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
      X