Omen Ideas for Current Characters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shadowstripe View Post

​I thought that was an effect of a Scion's Fateful Aura (at least in 1e)... that no matter where a Scion goes, Fate ensures that there is something that will involve the Scion... almost as if trouble seeks them out.
    The idea is that with this character, Fate is basically making their lives more like a detective novel/show. It's not just that she always gets drawn into trouble, it's that she always finds a mystery. If she travels somewhere and there isn't already a crime she's trying to investigate, then Fate conspires to have her stumble into one.

It's like when you're watching an episode of Psych, and the episode starts with Sean traveling somewhere on vacation to get away from solving cases. You know that there will be a mystery to solve at his destination.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeldafan42 View Post

The idea is that with this character, Fate is basically making their lives more like a detective novel/show. It's not just that she always gets drawn into trouble, it's that she always finds a mystery. If she travels somewhere and there isn't already a crime she's trying to investigate, then Fate conspires to have her stumble into one.

It's like when you're watching an episode of Psych, and the episode starts with Sean traveling somewhere on vacation to get away from solving cases. You know that there will be a mystery to solve at his destination.
      ​Still sounds like the effects of a Scion's Fateful Aura. Omens sound more like something that affects the Scion directly, such has some physical oddity or behavior (missing a body part, animal-like features, additional libs) and such, rather than affecting others. If the Scion is stumbling into mysteries wherever she goes, that would be Fate manipulating events to fit her legend (as a detective). Adopting clothing reminiscent of Sherlock Holmes however would be more like an Omen as it more directly affects her and fits her legend, making her look more like what some would perceive as a detective. Always having small tools to assist in an investigation without contaminating evidence (rubber gloves, zip-lock bags, even a pencil to move things or a small camera to document things) would be another Omen that would work (gives her the small tools she needs while giving her a small advantage in her efforts... just don't ask how she has them while in a bikini on a beach).

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.
      I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Comment

Possible Detective Omen: People hear some of her thoughts when she's in Detective Mode, as a soft Private Eye Monologue whispering just loud enough to be heard.

"You know, I went to Miami Beach to get some relaxation and some sun. Instead I'm dealing with a dead college student. Typical of my life. But it was a mystery, and I was always a sucker for those. Especially when a dame in a cute bikini asked me to figure out what happened to her friend."

NPC: What?

PC: That happens sometimes, just ignore it.
        Last edited by Kyman201; 10-14-2016, 03:49 PM.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Hamasaki Hayate, bancho/delinquent and scion of Susano'o - The tails of his headband constantly flutter as if being blown back by a breeze, even when the wind is still

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
            Possible Detective Omen: People hear some of her thoughts when she's in Detective Mode, as a soft Private Eye Monologue whispering just loud enough to be heard.

"You know, I went to Miami Beach to get some relaxation and some sun. Instead I'm dealing with a dead college student. Typical of my life. But it was a mystery, and I was always a sucker for those. Especially when a dame in a cute bikini asked me to figure out what happened to her friend."

NPC: What?

PC: That happens sometimes, just ignore it.
            ​Sort of like the character is narrating a crime novel that those in the immediate vicinity sometimes here (especially when s/he is thinking of them)... that is an interesting Omen, something that colors the character's interaction with others to a small degree, doesn't offer a large advantage (small situational one at best), provides great role-play opportunities and doesn't affect the overall flow of the adventure (which was going to happen whether the Omen interacted with anyone or not).

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.
            I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Comment

Working...
            X