The Kickstarter books for Scion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Kickstarter books for Scion?

So since I didn't notice anything about being leather bound or deluxe, are the kickstarter books essentially just the same as the Print on Demand ones? Still getting them, but wondering.

It is a time for great deeds!

They're not quite the PoD books-- they're "Traditionally Printed", more or less,-- i.e., like the books you'd get before PoD was a thing.

Comment

So just curious, what was the reason to not make a deluxe edition? Too much on the plate?

Comment

I think they're just more interested in focusing their resources on building material for the line - as this is one of the ones Onyx Path owns and is thus a long-term investment, rather than focusing on the limited stuff for collectors.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

This Kickstarter is about launching Scion 2e as a valid gameline more than giving collectors a cute thing to plop on the shelf.

At the risk of being cynical, Scion is the biggest brand that Onyx Path actually owns, rather than being contracted out to do. It's a smart business move to get the game in as many hands as possible and with as much support as they can feasibly make at a consistent quality standard so that if the dread day comes where new White Wolf retracts the rights to WoD and CofD, OPP isn't stuck hoping that Pugmire* is enough to keep them afloat. Getting a new 100% in-house rules system out and a new line that has the health to go on for a decade or two is the chief priority, and stuff like Build Your Own rules is going to give the fanbase a lot more to chew on five years from now than if a handful of the earliest fans have a shiny hardcover to brag about.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Pretty much. The deluxe and prestige editions have been to serve White Wolf's existing fanbase. Every time we make one of these we get people complaining that we're somehow abusing Kickstarter because "a big company like White Wolf" should be able to make books without resorting to Kickstarter. Which is a specious argument, but in any case the book happens regardless of the outcome of the Kickstarter.

But Scion is ours now. The purpose of the Kickstarter is to make a traditional print run of the core books (Origin and Hero) for retail purposes, but Kickstarter backers get part of that print run for themselves. Other than stuff like page and print quality differences and endpaper designs, the book you're getting is still pretty much the same book that you'd get via PoD (albeit probably cheaper, plus all the extra stretch goal material you get).

We want as many people as possible to buy into the new Scion, because we want it to last. We want us to last. While we'd love to work with White Wolf indefinitely, we don't know if that's going to be true. We can't predict the future. We also want to forge a distinct identity for ourselves that isn't just "the guys who publish White Wolf's stuff."

So this Kickstarter -- our first real solo Kickstarter -- is one of our first steps in doing that.

You may note that our other non-WW Kickstarters (Scarred Lands and Pugmire) also had traditional retail print runs as part of their goal, and also lacked a deluxe option.
            Last edited by IanWatson; 10-18-2016, 01:20 AM.

Ian A. A. Watson
            Onyx Path Community Manager
            Trinity Continuum Lead Developer

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
              Scion is the biggest brand that Onyx Path actually owns
              Not sure that's the case. Trinity Continuum probably has a larger existing fanbase from previous editions - it's just been longer.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Not sure that's the case. Trinity Continuum probably has a larger existing fanbase from previous editions - it's just been longer.
                Just as a general RPG fan, I'd honestly never heard of any of the Trinity games before the Sardonyx thing started to take shape whereas I know lots of Scion 1e fans.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

Besides, there is always the option of doing a special or deluxe book sometime later for those who do collect such things. Just because they have chosen not to do it at the moment doesn't mean they'll never do one... just that they have other priorities at the moment.

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.
                  I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Comment

Just as a general RPG fan, I'd honestly never heard of any of the Trinity games before the Sardonyx thing started to take shape whereas I know lots of Scion 1e fans.

Not knowing how old you are, it could be generational. Trinity/Aberrant/Adventure! were pretty well known during the glory days of White Wolf and the original World of Darkness run (by "glory days" I don't mean to suggest any decrease in quality, only that it was before the bottom fell out the tabletop mass publishing market).
                    Last edited by glamourweaver; 10-18-2016, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Not knowing how old you are, it could be generational. Trinity/Aberrant/Adventure! were pretty well known during the glory days of White Wolf and the original World of Darkness run (by "glory days" I don't mean to suggest any decrease in quality, only that the it was before the bottom fell out the tabletop mass publishing market).
                      If everyone really wants to feel old, I got into tabletop games with D&D 4e.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Comment

It is generational, Scion has a lot more awareness with new and causal gamers both because of its concept and newness relatively speaking. Half a decade does make a difference.

But yeah makes sense I'm glad I want Scion to expanse, and its relatively a good price.

Comment

Well there you go then

Comment

You are tiny baby!

[/HeavyWeaponGuy]

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Not knowing how old you are, it could be generational. Trinity/Aberrant/Adventure! were pretty well known during the glory days of White Wolf and the original World of Darkness run (by "glory days" I don't mean to suggest any decrease in quality, only that it was before the bottom fell out the tabletop mass publishing market).
                              ‚ÄčTo be honest, while I have heard of Trinity off and on for some time (since 1e Exalted), it wasn't until OPP got started that I actually looked into the game (with what I could find about it on the Net). Still not sure if I will check it out when the new Edition comes out... depends on what I'm feeling like at the time.

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.
                              I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Comment

Working...
                              X