Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netjer Preview is up!

Here it is!

So I think it's pretty good. Rose says the names will get changed for the final. I think there's two things I'd like to see:

The descriptions of what the Gods get up to now getting punched up a bit. The Greek ones were really great for this, and some more references to how people interact with them, like a sentence or so would be pretty cool.

the Religion could use some expansion. Like describing that Kemeticism is sort of like a category, and one or two interesting examples of cults would be awesome.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

I'm massively let down by pretty much all of it, and I'm going to make a thread compiling my complaints if that's okay.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Well I'm curious what your thoughts are, at the very least, though I'm not sure if you need another thread exactly...

Comment

Echoing CrownedSun. You can probably post your disappointments here in the thread. I mean, it IS kind of relevant.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

It does seem to need some work to make it more holistic. There seems to be alot of dry text , which seems a bit strange since what scholarly texts I have read on them (mostly out of Afrika) make them considerably more passionate.

How can I know if what I claim I know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I might not know? How can I know if what I claim I don't know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I do know?
          -Zhuangzi

Comment

Yeah, it feels less polished than the others, but, I mean, it is a first draft let's remember.

Leetsepeak's Ex3 Homebrew Hub - Hub of homebrew for Exalted 3rd Edition that I've made.

Comment

the random mention of Loki in the middle of Set's write-up struck me as weird, but yeah, overall,-- this doesn't feel quite as good as the Theoi or the Tuatha,--

I think it has some potential, though,--

--I was surprised by how different the write-up is from what I'd thought. I thought I knew a good bit about the Egyptian Gods, but apparently my knowledge isn't nearly as good there as I thought.

Comment

Made my thread. I'm not quite furious, but I'm damn close.

Just call me Lex.

Comment

Is it beneficial to merge certain gods? I am for saying Isis and Hathor are the same. But their is a definite tone shift in saying Sekhmet and Bast are the same, because both of those Goddesses can fit quite handily as two separate parents.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                    Is it beneficial to merge certain gods? I am for saying Isis and Hathor are the same. But their is a definite tone shift in saying Sekhmet and Bast are the same, because both of those Goddesses can fit quite handily as two separate parents.
                    Hathor and Isis have nothing in common beyond both being goddesses that love. It's like merging Aphrodite and Hera because the former is the goddess of love and the latter loves her husband. If any god would be merged with Hathor, it would be Sekhmet, as they're both Eyes of Ra.

Isis is a goddess of magic and true names, Hathor is a goddess of women and love.

Just call me Lex.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                      If any god would be merged with Hathor, it would be Sekhmet, as they're both Eyes of Ra.
                      And have a myth where they are explicitly the same god based on how bloodthirsty vs drunk she is at the time.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

While a first draft, I have to say that it feels almost clumsily written by comparison to the Tuatha and Theoi previews, and there is significant characterization and categorization going on with the gods that I don't understand.

Comment

[reposting here as it seems relevant]

The core 12 I'm inclined to go with at my table (with Ma'at as a distant but honored primordial figure rather than a ruler)

Re (with his primary Mantles being the scarab Khepri for the dawn, Atum-Re the Creator for noonday sun, Khnum the shaper for dusk, and the unseen Amun-Re at night)

Azar

Aset (she is not petty, she is however Machievellian, and is the political shadow behind the thrones of Re, Azar, and Heru simultaneously)

Sutekh

Nephthys (she's so loosely defined, I can go with the Purview set they were using for Ma'at, and just replace Ostrich with Kite)

Heru

Hathor/Sekhmet (two mantles of the same goddess, one a creator/fertility goddess, the other a destroyer/war goddess; wife of Heru)

Djheuty

Bastet (At one point simply another name of Sekhmet, but this Mantle grew into a separate being that may be a Scion who seized a spare name; while lioness Sekhmet is a fierce direct warrior as Eye of Re, the cat Bast is a guardian and assassin in darkness where he is unseen)

Sebek

Anpu

Ptah

(I like the idea of the infinite forms of the Ogdoad themselves [who can be Primordials instead of Titans] being the Overworld of the Netjer, but that should be explicitly the case rather than just using Nu as a catchall term)

Comment

For religions, I'd include more specific cults rather than the broad brush of Kemeticism.

Cult of Isis is most widespread, related closely to the Eleusinian Mysteries, with the promise of the blessed afterlife in Aaru and built around the story of Aset's resurrection of Azar.

Cult of Re is more Egypt-centric, and honors Sutekh much more than the Cult of Isis that tends to make him more of a satan figure - this religion is much more focused on the conflict between Re and Apep as the center of their faith.

Finally the Cult of the Hehu (Ogdoad) are esoteric fringe weirdos in the eyes of the mainstream Netjer worshipers, but Djheuty himself finds the subject matter of arcane studies a matter of great interest.

Comment

Did anyone else get the feeling that the $290,000 stretch goal was the direct result of this thread?

Comment

Working...
                              X