Highschool of the gods.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highschool of the gods.

So i'm supposed to work on my masters degree but honestly my head is to full with scion to focus well. Hopefully externalizing my thoughts will help.

This idea is something i've tried before but it ended early because i could not make it work with the 1e system. Now that this is solved i'm looking at trying it again.

So the idea is an anime inspired game set in a special high school in japan for scions and those others who have divine or supernatural ancestry. I don't know if it would make it a shard, as i intend only on using anime as inspiration for characters and for narrative structure. I am thinking of making the first story pre-visitation and will be the players first year in school.

So the setting is a special school that is unbeknowst to the public made for scions and those with divine and supernatural ancestry (sometimes that ancestry can run back pretty far in time). The school is not in tokyo. I'll probably make up some city or keep the geography of it vague. The school will be near the sea. Then again everywhere in japan is near the sea :P. Another thing is the school was built on top of a shrine (probably to Inari). Now for most students enroll its a perfectly normal school (as normal as any school set in the World can be). But the prospective scions get supplementary classes.

As for the npcs (note that i will often use anime character to properly convey the feeling of the npc. I also will mostly use the gender of the anime inspiration but honestly the npcs could be any gender and i'll decide based on my players characters as to what would fit best).

The school teachers and staff:

- The P.E. teacher (Inspiration : Karasuma-sensei from assassination classroom)
    A tengu disguising as a human he teaches physical education for the normal classes. For the scions-to-be he teaches combat and self-defense. This npc will be pretty much exactly like his inspiration from assassination classroom. He is serious about his duty and his job but still definitely approachable vis-a-vis the students.

- The japanese history teacher.
    A human mortal sorcerer well versed in the history of japan (he has been alive for much of its history). For the scion classes he teaches japanese mythological history. He is a very serious charactec but also supremely arrogant. He believes that he is superior from most those around him. I'm entertaining the idea of having him be a sort of criminal (with the concept that sorceror somehow steal the magic from the gods) and he was captured and he is forced to teach at the school. He will be the most knowledgeable of the cast but he will openly insult and mocks the player for their only worth is whom their parents are.

- The international history or english teacher
    I like the idea of a foreigner teaching in a japanese classroom. That character will either be a english teacher or international history teacher. For the scions he or she will teach mythological histories outside of japan. I'd like that character to be a foreign supernatural being also. Someone like an amazon, a valkyrie, an alfar, a dwarf or even a sasquatch. In contrast to the other two, this npc will be the most approchable. Big humor and does not follow protocols much.

- The janitor/gardener/lunchlady/director of the school
    I like the idea of an old man/lady working in various job in the school and giving the players advice from time to time. The secret is that both the janitor( a man) and the lunchlady (a woman) are the same person as the director of the school. That person is the god Inari and its his/her shrine that is hidden in the middle of the school.

The students:

- President of the absurdely powerful student council (Inspiration : Satsuki from Kill la Kill)
    As far as personnality goes Satsuki from kill la kill is pretty much perfectly what i have in mind. The president is absolutely dedicated to everything she does. It is impossible to make her admit that what she believes or what she thinks can be wrong. Ruthless toward those who waste their potential, but also kind toward those who actually try to achieve something. Although i see her as supremely arrogant its more seen as she see it as her duty to help others toward perfection and nothing less is to even be considered.
    She definitely is the daughter of Amaterasu and i'd see her also as being internally insecure. As no matter how perfect others see her she worries that its still not enough to live up to Amaterasu exacting aspirations.

- Second in command in the student council
    I like the idea of a completely normal mortal in the school actually outshining potential scion out of sheer dedication to following the president. This guy is a follower through and through but instead of this making him inferior its making him better than he would be otherwise.

- Head of the delinquent
    Here i'm hesitating between 2 character.
    1- A born of Susano'o with a shark theme that is an unapologetic delinquent and bully. He simply loves to lord his strength over others and humiliate those he perceive as weaker than him.
    2- A born of Tsukiyomi (or created maybe), that is sort of an accidental delinquent. As in he has a strict moral code that he will never waver from but that moral code is not necessarily compatible with society.

The bad guy ... end boss ... kind of
    - Shard of darkness and evil (Inspiration : Aku from samurai jack. Okay not an anime but still an awesome character)
    I'm thinking that there would be a shard of darkness and evil sealed within the hidden shrine. Somehow the seals are coming undone and the shards is corrupting spirits, ghosts and (eventually) even people.

I am still unsure on how i will pace the game. I know i want the player to start as pre-visitation and i'm leaning toward them having their visitation before their graduation.

Anyway its a work still in progress and i hope you find it interesting.

anime inspired game set in a special high school in japan
    I like anime, but this is like, the most tapped well in its entire canon.

Maybe something a little more internationally-focused could be interesting. Make it more of a private academy with its own dorms. Put it in an Otherworld location with lots of access to different areas.

Have a rich history, large grounds that can be played with.

You should be thinking, like, amped-up Hogwarts, not Anime High School.

We don't allow mages to cast spells, since this is the most unbalancing rule of all.

Comment

Originally posted by Jachra View Post
      I like anime, but this is like, the most tapped well in its entire canon.

Maybe something a little more internationally-focused could be interesting. Make it more of a private academy with its own dorms. Put it in an Otherworld location with lots of access to different areas.

Have a rich history, large grounds that can be played with.

You should be thinking, like, amped-up Hogwarts, not Anime High School.

hmm that could be a good idea to expand on the concept. I'll give it a try.

Honestly i was using the whole japanese highschool trope to help me keep a consistent thematic to the npcs and the stories. I also think that the more familiar setup (as this game is for my friends who are into anime) help the player try a new game.
      and you say amped-up Hogwarts but it is still as much british as the anime high school is japanese. There really isnt a more international feel to it in my opinion.

Comment

As is, your concept would work incredibly well for a very Japanese centric Scion game, with non Japanese PCs probably being explained as exchange students or children of American soldiers. It would be the perfect setting for me to play my one bancho/delinquent Scion of Susano'o.

Honestly, Jachra's idea isn't bad and actually an idea I've toyed with a bit myself. The gods get together and decide to make a school for their children, with the staff being mythological beings from all across the world. I was envisioning a mashup of Harry Potter and Percy Jackson, Hogwarts meets Camp Halfblood with a generous amount of inspiration from the numerous "supernatural high school" anime out there.

So I suppose it depends on your group. Would they enjoy a very Japanese centric Scion game, or is everyone going to want to make a Scion of a different pantheon like my group usually does?

And if you go with the more international version but still want to work in your favorite high school anime tropes, explain those aspects as things the Japanese pantheon insisted on.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeldafan42 View Post
          As is, your concept would work incredibly well for a very Japanese centric Scion game, with non Japanese PCs probably being explained as exchange students or children of American soldiers. It would be the perfect setting for me to play my one bancho/delinquent Scion of Susano'o.

Yeah the whole point of this game is to be more focused on the japanese pantheon.
          I am working on another game that would be more ''classic'' that would allow any player to come from any pantheon.

Like i said i made this game for my friends who are more into anime.

But yeah i agree that the international school is a great idea also

Comment

Heh. Anime High School gets an exchange student... Who's a Scion of the Teotl.

Hijinks ensue.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
              Heh. Anime High School gets an exchange student... Who's a Scion of the Teotl.
              Well, got your yandere spot filled pretty easily with that one XD

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post

hmm that could be a good idea to expand on the concept. I'll give it a try.

Honestly i was using the whole japanese highschool trope to help me keep a consistent thematic to the npcs and the stories. I also think that the more familiar setup (as this game is for my friends who are into anime) help the player try a new game.
                and you say amped-up Hogwarts but it is still as much british as the anime high school is japanese. There really isnt a more international feel to it in my opinion.
                By "Hogwarts" I didn't mean "Britain."

I meant "a magical boarding school filled with secrets, dangers, and interesting things to see and characters to meet."

We don't allow mages to cast spells, since this is the most unbalancing rule of all.

Comment

Originally posted by danelsan View Post

... *SIGHS and makes another entry in the Big Book O' Character Concepts*

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Y'know, if I were ever going to do a game where all the characters are in highschool, Scion would probably be it. I'd set it somewhere in the Americas, though, I imagine. Try as I might, Life is Strange and Gravity Falls would probably make it into the inspiration list.

Comment

Originally posted by Axelgear View Post
                      Life is Strange
                      Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comment

Originally posted by danelsan View Post

Hope you don't mind but i am definitely adding that one to the cast

By "Hogwarts" I didn't mean "Britain."

I meant "a magical boarding school filled with secrets, dangers, and interesting things to see and characters to meet."
                        Apologies. I took the comparison a bit too literal. My bad.

I am still unsure on how obviously magical i want the school to be. Do everyone know about scions, kappas and stuff or is it there but not in the face of everyone? (i'm leaning toward the latter)

For the first few sessions i'm planning on focusing on solving the mysteries of the school. With the only one i figured out so far being the infinite space in the cafeteria refrigerator that is actually a terra incognita with a yuki onna living within.

Comment

Originally posted by Axelgear View Post
                          Y'know, if I were ever going to do a game where all the characters are in highschool, Scion would probably be it. I'd set it somewhere in the Americas, though, I imagine. Try as I might, Life is Strange and Gravity Falls would probably make it into the inspiration list.
                          I think I love you, so what am I so afraid of?
                          I'm afraid that I'm not sure of
                          a love there is no cure for

Comment

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
                            What can I say? In my heart, I'm the sort of person who loves a nice hipster classical guitar ballad and small town drama.

It's also nice having the oppressive, omnipresent dread of a nameless force that subtly rewrites and destroys the world you know every time you try and take more control.

I'd probably also draw some inspiration from Alan Wake just because it gives me Poets of the Fall for musical inspiration, and I like darkness and water as motifs.

I can see it now... Some gathering darkness; a group of teens called to in their dreams, to take arms against this encroaching darkness; to fight the shadows that lurk in an unholy underworld and wake the old myths that sleep in the tangles beneath ancient trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post

Hope you don't mind but i am definitely adding that one to the cast

Apologies. I took the comparison a bit too literal. My bad.

I am still unsure on how obviously magical i want the school to be. Do everyone know about scions, kappas and stuff or is it there but not in the face of everyone? (i'm leaning toward the latter)

For the first few sessions i'm planning on focusing on solving the mysteries of the school. With the only one i figured out so far being the infinite space in the cafeteria refrigerator that is actually a terra incognita with a yuki onna living within.
                              If it's in an Otherworld you should absolutely have it be pretty god-damned obvious.

Comment

Working...
                              X