Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The next time someone asks you what Scion 2e's æsthetic is …

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next time someone asks you what Scion 2e's æsthetic is …

… please show them this.
    https://www.facebook.com/MyACGG/videos/1307544232610550

Currently Writing Scion and Geist for Onyx Path, and many other things for other publishers
    Crowdfund Me Tha Illiad of MC Homer: a hip hop translation of Homer's Iliad

Originally posted by Lula View Post
    A website advertising good and bad anime? A giant waifu? A psychedelic choir?
    I don't even understand what I am looking at.

Comment

I assume it's the complete-circuit multiculturalism inherent in a black Christian choir singing in Japanese the theme song to an anime about deific giant monster battles that itself borrows heavily from Western religious iconography.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

^^^ yes that

Currently Writing Scion and Geist for Onyx Path, and many other things for other publishers

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
          I assume it's the complete-circuit multiculturalism inherent in a black Christian choir singing in Japanese the theme song to an anime about deific giant monster battles that itself borrows heavily from Western religious iconography.
          If that was the intention, there are much better ways to share that message than have it surrounded by oversexualized underage anime girls.

Comment

That video was entirely unexpected. And unexpectedly good after reading glamourweaver's reply.

"The Man and the Beast are having an amiable picnic in that Savage’s head. It’s rather disturbing." - Blood and Smoke: the Strix Chronicle, pg. 22

Member of the Circle of Five Gaming Group

Comment

Originally posted by Incendax View Post
              If that was the intention, there are much better ways to share that message than have it surrounded by oversexualized underage anime girls.
              If you can figure out a version of the link that just shows that one video without the rest of the weird shit on that page, I'll replace it. I couldn't figure out how to do it (or find the video on youtube)

Comment

If you can figure out a version of the link that just shows that one video without the rest of the weird shit on that page, I'll replace it. I couldn't figure out how to do it (or find the video on youtube)
                Copy the link to the video and paste it into an input field at savefrom.net. Click the "Download" button on the right. You will be prompted to choose the format and quality of the video file to download. Afterwards you can upload the file to the website of your choice. MP4 is the default and not bad quality.

Comment

I'd rather hand them a copy of American Gods, Anansi Boys, any short story collection containing 'Black Dog' or 'The Monarch of the Glen', or The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

No offense, but if Anime aesthetic is what you're after, Exalted is totally a game that already exists. You can even run it in a modern setting shard if that strikes your fancy.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

I would point out that Multiculturalism isn't exactly an aesthetic, and the average person who watches this video is not going to take that away from this video. If you show this to someone who is questioning Scion's aesthetic, their response will likely be - "Oh, okay, so something to do with anime or whatever."

Comment

Originally posted by Incendax View Post
                      Copy the link to the video and paste it into an input field at savefrom.net. Click the "Download" button on the right. You will be prompted to choose the format and quality of the video file to download. Afterwards you can upload the file to the website of your choice. MP4 is the default and not bad quality.
                      This is a bit more work than I have time for right now, but thank you!

Comment

...really?

That doesn't say "Scion" to me in any sense of the word. I'd see more in common with like, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage than I would with this. Even the Dwayne Johnson Hercules film had more Scion going for it.
                        This is mostly just weird, it doesn't speak to the majesty of the divine or the trials of a person struggling with a powerful destiny that's far beyond their limited ken, fighting to become more than they are and establish a legend.

We don't allow mages to cast spells, since this is the most unbalancing rule of all.

Comment

Well, it certainly spoke to me! But I'm glad to see that we have such a diversity of takes on the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Solana View Post
                            I'd rather hand them a copy of American Gods, Anansi Boys, any short story collection containing 'Black Dog' or 'The Monarch of the Glen', or The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

No offense, but if Anime aesthetic is what you're after, Exalted is totally a game that already exists. You can even run it in a modern setting shard if that strikes your fancy.
                            It's not about the anime aesthetic, it's about the fact that it's a video of an African American gospel choir singing the theme song to a Japanese anime influenced by Judeo-Christian symbology, it shows the syncretic "all myths are true and they're all interacting with each other" nature of the setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Corax View Post

It's not about the anime aesthetic, it's about the fact that it's a video of an African American gospel choir singing the theme song to a Japanese anime influenced by Judeo-Christian symbology, it shows the syncretic "all myths are true and they're all interacting with each other" nature of the setting.
                              I already addressed that in the post immediately following it.

Also, how exactly does showing two different cultures rallying around one anime—which poorly appropriated the imagery of a popular religion whilst communicating none of its context or values—communicate a message of: "All myths are true, and they're interacting with each other."?

Comment

Working...
                              X