Survey from White Wolf

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I received the survey today, and, uh...

..this is way, way, WAY more broad and show-us-all-aspects-of-your-life inclusive than I'd have expected in regards of an RPG company survey.

Denied.

>> cWoD Dice Probability Chart | | >> cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator | | >> cWoD Alternative Armor System
    >> cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System | | >> My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels | | >> 'Intersting' Strength Attribute Stuff

Comment

I actually received the survey twice. Once from Drive Thru and once from the OP mailing list.

I think my favorite question is "Do you use or subscribe to any cable or TV or movie services?" There were the usual cable channels, Netflix, and Hulu, as well as a couple others. However, the final option was, "I watch a lot of 'free' stuff online." I think that is the politest version of the phrase, "Do you pirate things?"

Comment

I was amused by that, though there are non-pirating ways to read that. There are plenty of free services out there that are "free" to the viewer due to adds or limited number of views/time limits for non-paying members. I watch a few things on Crunchy Roll for example, which is free if you're willing to put up with the limited service. I also ended up watching ~half of the last season of AHS on FX's free streaming because my DVR screwed up.

Though yeah, I have the feeling that ambiguity is on purpose, but they're going to interpret it as "piracy."

Comment

I hope White Wolf embraces the online community of people who run games. I am actually surprised that hasn't been tapped into before, unless of course it has and I don't know about it lol.

For different game play videos of White Wolf Games from my play group
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBU...IhwsM3kHK56SRA
          https://soundcloud.com/twin-cities-by-night
          If you want to find White Wolf game play media or subject matter media
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/862703457198327/

Comment

I do too... but I'm not sure which one you're talking about (I mean heck, support them all!). There's a lot of different ways people play on-line, with different needs and desires from WW in terms of support.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
              I do too... but I'm not sure which one you're talking about (I mean heck, support them all!). There's a lot of different ways people play on-line, with different needs and desires from WW in terms of support.
              Oh I agree 100%, support them all. I even created a Facebook page for people to share them too. It seems often times its easier to find a game online than in person TBH.

Comment

Hey Heavy- could you take the time to list the venues for online play you can think of, either here or direct to me: richt@theonyxpath.com?

I'd like to be sure we're staying on top of how our hobby keeps finding ways to play. Thanks, if you can, and no worries if you can't get something like that put together.

Comment

Originally posted by RichT View Post

Hey Heavy- could you take the time to list the venues for online play you can think of, either here or direct to me: richt@theonyxpath.com?

I'd like to be sure we're staying on top of how our hobby keeps finding ways to play. Thanks, if you can, and no worries if you can't get something like that put together.

If I may, one thing that isn't often noticed are the games that are ran on google hangouts or skype and shred on either Youtube of in a podcast.

Comment

RichT -

Sure. I'll try to break things down a bit of things I know people are either actively using or have used relatively recently.

Play by Post (not going to worry about examples, there's a section on the forum of it).

Minimal VTT - basically people playing in close to the default TT style but through various programs - examples:
                    Discord
                    Augmented VTT - so using some sort of customized interface to add digital tools to game play instead of just for distance play - examples:
                    Roll20
                    MU* (haven't check in on those in awhile but MU* use had a small dedicated base that I doubt stopped yet)
                    Persistent Chats - games that follow the model of the old official WW chats like New Bremen - examples:
                    Patched Digichat (doesn't seem like it's going to work as everyone seems to be fleeing to other options as the patches keep failing to keep the program running)
                    Parachat
                    AddonChat
                    Chatblazer
                    PHP Chat
                    Jove
                    Custom chat clients

Comment

I've done it. I thought it was pretty cool that it offered a ton of options for various relationships and so forth.

Comment

I just made it yesterday, someone posted the actual link to the survey in the CoD sub-forum.

Well, it is interesting, though by how things were presented, I should say the survey have a lot of bias.

One thing is for sure. They are tired of the traditional TT game as a marketing model. Against this, I have nothing.

By the way, I would buy and support an Augmented VTT program specific for WW and OP games, if they keep it at a reasonable price.

Hero Lab is a good example of a virtual tool that helped me a lot and I actually spent my money on. If they don't want to deal with Lone Wolf, they could make their own.

Sorry if I seem too straightforward, or if I don't get you. Autism isn't a forgiving condition.

Comment

Originally posted by monteparnas View Post

One thing is for sure. They are tired of the traditional TT game as a marketing model. Against this, I have nothing.
                          It depends. I get it, TT rpg is a very niche product, so I'm not against blockbuster LARPs or anything, as long as we get a good TT game too. I hope they won't go the current WOTC route, where everything is about the brand while the game itself, the novels and the settings are being neglected.

I don't say TT should be the first and be-all-end-all. I just say, there wouldn't be a brand without the TT and arguably, TT has the biggest player base (it's just not as spectacular and media-friendly, due to the nature of it, as LARP), after possibly the Bloodlines video game. WoD without a strong TT line is just... Wrong, IMO.

Also, they said they want books back in the book- and gaming stores, so I'm not sure that's against the traditional model.

If nothing worked, then let's think!

Comment

My impression isn't that they will cease to base the brand in TT, but that they'll cease to base their income in TT.

The problem with TT is that, once you buy the book, the group is unlikely to buy another. In the traditional model, we are very hard to squish for money.

So they are trying to focus on paid events, other media, and general ways on making us spend money in a regular basis. Something to make us consume the brand beyond just the books.

Yes, this at a certain point means a focus to the brand. But it doesn't necessarily means the game will be bad. We are a hard market to provide a company, with luck this will make the company survive while providing a good product.

I'm not too much confident, but my worries aren't about the model necessarily.

On a side note, I heard about they wanting to do video games more than TT way before this survey.

Sorry if I seem too straightforward, or if I don't get you. Autism isn't a forgiving condition.

Comment

Ah, okay, I can agree with that.

I won't be that surprised if we'll get the essential corebooks and maybe the bigger supplements in paper and then the more minutae content, like regional or splats supplements would come in various other forms. Honestly, I'd be okay with that, as long as the game is good and we'll get content and support in any form, not like in the case of WotC lately.

Beside, they said they want to involve the fanbase with content-creating and want to do things like regional-specific stuff, or culturally sensitive content with people who knows about it. So I get the impression that they want to do stuff, which is good.
                              Last edited by PMárk; 01-08-2017, 12:54 AM.

If nothing worked, then let's think!

Comment

RichT -

Sure. I'll try to break things down a bit of things I know people are either actively using or have used relatively recently.

Play by Post (not going to worry about examples, there's a section on the forum of it).

Minimal VTT - basically people playing in close to the default TT style but through various programs - examples:
                                Discord
                                Augmented VTT - so using some sort of customized interface to add digital tools to game play instead of just for distance play - examples:
                                Roll20
                                MU* (haven't check in on those in awhile but MU* use had a small dedicated base that I doubt stopped yet)
                                Persistent Chats - games that follow the model of the old official WW chats like New Bremen - examples:
                                Patched Digichat (doesn't seem like it's going to work as everyone seems to be fleeing to other options as the patches keep failing to keep the program running)
                                Parachat
                                AddonChat
                                Chatblazer
                                PHP Chat
                                Jove
                                Custom chat clients

There are definitely som MUs still going strong, and IRC games (and servers dedicated to RP games.)

Comment

Working...
                                X