World of Darkness Dark Eras

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World of Darkness Dark Eras

"Dark Eras" for Chronicles of Darkness (previously the New World of Darkness), is really a fantastic book, and that combined with the release of the Dark Ages Companion for V20DA has gotten me thinking about other historic settings for the original World of Darkness.

Vampire: Bronze Age Collapse - it's 1200 bce, and the rise of the eighth generation, the first generation of vampires unable to permanently transcend the limitations of their human attributes and abilities, clearly signals that the Time of Thin Blood is at hand! For the first time since the Second City, the Antedeluvians stir, and chaos befalls the mediterranean world.

Werewolf: Medieval China - contemporaneous to the current V20DA material. The Silver Fangs and their allies ride with the Golden Horde out of the north and claim divine right to guide the "lazy" (their view) Beast Courts of the Song Dynasty to war against the Centipede/Wyrm/Dissolver/Whatever. Obviously, the Beast Courts... less keen on the notion. Will the full War of Shame reignite? Surely the timing of the further corruption of the Wan Kuei cannot be a coincidence (fourth is turning to fifth age changes, see Blood and Silk)

Mage: Victorian Age - is this still happening, or did it get vaporweared by Paradox? I'm dying to see the rise of the Union from the ashes of the Order of Reason, as eugenic social darwinism of the new age replaces the religious imperialism of old. Meanwhile the Traditions are scattered into diverse occult societies through Europe, while their non-European counterparts are in open-rebellion (Order of the Black Willow and the Archarne have the ears of the movers and shakers in European high-society, but their Chakravanti and Sahajiya tradition-mates are less concerned with paradigmatic influence on those men as they are on liberating India from them - for example)

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
    Vampire: Bronze Age Collapse - it's 1200 bce, and the rise of the eighth generation, the first generation of vampires unable to permanently transcend the limitations of their human attributes and abilities, clearly signals that the Time of Thin Blood is at hand! For the first time since the Second City, the Antedeluvians stir, and chaos befalls the mediterranean world.
    I like this idea, and would love to see more historic settings for Vampire.

Comment

Thanks... I might actually give that one a separate thread on the VtM page. Less traffic here than i would have hoped it seems.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Vampire/Inquisitor/Demon: Protestant Reformation - This would be a perfect period to explore for WoD, it would be set in the decade immediately following the formation of the Sabbat, a period when the church faces it's greatest crisis ever and just before the last of the Earthbound fall into hibernation. We could see how the newly divided Kindred respond to the newfound divisions in Christian Europe. It's interesting to note that the Mediterranean realms that remained solidly Catholic, like Spain and much of Italy, were traditionally Lasombra strongholds. There would also be great opportunities to see how the Reformation affected mortal hunting organizations, it could showcase new Protestant organizations arising in places like England and north Germany. Demons would be interesting to examine as well, since, as previously mentioned, this was a time where belief that the Devil's hand was at work everywhere was becoming, if anything, more widespread than it had been in the Middle-Ages. Protestants were often even more paranoid of Witchcraft than Catholics, and it would be very interesting to see how the Earthbound, Infernatlists and newly-summoned demons reacted to this new state of affairs. This setting would focus more on western, northern and central Europe, as opposed to V20 of Dark Ages which focused more on Italy, the east and southeast.

Comment

I've often thought that were I reworking the World of Darkness from day one in 1991, the historical games would've been Vampire: The Dark Ages (1150AD or so), Werewolf: Savage Rome (@100AD), Mage: Victorian Twilight (1880s), Wraith: Revolution (covering from about the French-Indian War/Seven Years War to the final defeat of Napoleon), and Changeling: The Golden Age (during the reigns of Queen Elizabeth I, "Good King Henry" of France, Rudolf II of the HRE, and Philip II of Spain), or something like that.

Comment

The Bastet book mentioned a war between a Simba king and the vampires of Africa, and would love to see a book about this, with hooks for PCs on both sides, or neither side, or playing both sides.

Comment

IIRC, that was Black Tooth, the psychotic and genocidal Simba warlord whose wars against nearly everyone and everything in southern Africa that wouldn't submit to his rule, including other Bastet, Fera and spirits, led to the alliance of African shifters including the Silent Striders, Ajaba, Mokole and other Bastet. This took place in the 90s, during the government changeover in South Africa.

Comment

I keep pondering the idea of ancient Sparta as part of some sort of weird breeding experiment on the part of one group or another in the WoD. Some sort of prototype Web of Knives thing for the Assamites, or a stud farm for a faction of Black Furies, or some sort of superman project by proto-Progenitors.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                  IIRC, that was Black Tooth, the psychotic and genocidal Simba warlord whose wars against nearly everyone and everything in southern Africa that wouldn't submit to his rule, including other Bastet, Fera and spirits, led to the alliance of African shifters including the Silent Striders, Ajaba, Mokole and other Bastet. This took place in the 90s, during the government changeover in South Africa.
                  No, there were actually some indications that he used Vampires as tools himself.

The king was (pardon the spelling) Ta M'limba, I don't remember the date. (But I assume it's the real explanation to the Generation background difference rather than the one the vamp elders claim.)

Comment

Working...
                  X