Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minifigs and Dungeon titles; do you use them? Should you use them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minifigs and Dungeon titles; do you use them? Should you use them?

So when I first bought Werewolf the Apocalypse core 20th edition and my friends agreed to play a game with me, I got ahead of myself and bought some minifigs and some dungeon titles not knowing not every RPG uses them or even recommends them. After trying them out in a mock battle I can see that there are very little rules about movement in general in WtA so I wonder if anyone else uses them or if they are just flatout not recommended.

Thanks for your input as always guys!

Oh I should mention these questions are for all the White Wolf games Scion, oWoD, CoD ect. Not just WtA.
    Last edited by Story; 12-13-2016, 08:32 PM.

Originally posted by Story View Post
    So when I first bought Werewolf the Apocalypse core 20th edition and my friends agreed to play a game with me, I got ahead of myself and bought some minifigs and some dungeon titles not knowing not every RPG uses them or even recommends them. After trying them out in a mock battle I can see that there are very little rules about movement in general in WtA so I wonder if anyone else uses them or if they are just flatout not recommended.

Thanks for your input as always guys!
    First off, let me say I love minis. Love 'em to death. There is something about holding a tiny version of your character and scooting them around the table that makes me happy. That said, werewolf combat is pretty straightforward. I rarely have to break out the map and minis... unless you are running really complex, sprawling fight scenarios you probably won't have to worry about positioning. My exchanges with my players often sound something like this like this:

Player: 'So I am already in Crinos with my fetish weapon drawn. How close am I?'
    Me: 'Mocks-the-Night is about thirty paces from the drooling mockery, but several others lag behind it, slowly creeping closer down the poorly lit hallway.'
    Player: 'Cool, I leap forward and spend three rage to attack the nearest one.'

Then he rolls a bunch of dice and the mockery is shark bait.

The other thing is I like LEGOs a lot but they are almost distractingly interactive. I might just forget the story and spend a lot of time tinkering with monsters or set pieces of dubious usefulness, but that is likely more of a problem with my own ability to focus, rather than any issues with LEGO.

Comment

Never used minis in a WoD game to be honest. The only time I ever used maps and minis in a role playing game was in the first D&D 3.5 game I was in.

Our storyteller sometimes gives us a quick sketch if something about the positioning proves unclear or difficult to explain but that's pretty much it.

Comment

For minis. Horrorclix is the best way to go.

Onyx Path Kickstarters I back.
        W20, MtC, CB20, DtD, MtAs20, BotW20, Wraith 20th.

Comment

Mini's are useful for keeping track of where people are in relationship to one another, but tiles are not (as specific movement isn't terribly important in White Wolf games). But sometimes it's nice to get a general idea of where someone is or what's going on.

In my group we'd use minis (or more often different colored dice) to represent different players and NPCs and then put them in various places to give everyone a visual idea of what was going on - a bad guy might be on top of a can of soda, "Oh, he's on top of a balcony overlooking the rest of you."

Comment

For WoD, I don't use minis so much, but I do use my vinyl hex map and dry-erase markers for combat scenarios. My players like it, since they can literally sketch out plans and such. I also use it to track initiative and turn order.

Cheers!

If you don't use an Oxford comma, I feel bad for you, son,
            'Cuz I got ninety-nine problems, but clarity ain't one.

Comment

I've used miniatures twice in the last ten years, at the request of players in two big fights where location was important. Generally they don't fit my play style, whivh leans more towards improvisation on my part and the players'. I like miniatures as things in themselves but I don't use them.

(As a point of historical interest, there were official World Of Darkness miniatures back in the day.)

Craig Oxbrow
              The Trinity Continuum freelancer

Comment

Working...
              X