Mortal Action Heroes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortal Action Heroes

So, this thread is a discussion about how to make mortal action heroes within cWoD. I think that you could take the Dhampyr rules from Half-Damned: Dhampyr, strip them of immunity to disease and longevity, their innate link to the P'o, and their access to KJ Disciplines and KJ Rites, and you would have quick-and-dirty rules for Mortal Action Heroes.

The Mortal Action Heroes would have the following:

-Attributes 7/5/3, Abilities 13/9/5, Backgrounds 5, Virtues 7, and Freebie Points 25 (since they cannot learn KJ Disciplines, they would convert their Discipline dot into 10 extra freebie points, just like a Dhampyr who was unaware of their supernatural heritage).

-Joss Pool, Passive Joss (spend one Joss to avoid a successful targeted lethal attack, two Joss to avoid a successful are lethal attack, three Joss to avoid a target aggravated attack, and four Joss to avoid an area aggravated attack), and the capacity to develop Active Joss and Joss Binding.

-Chi Pool (Yang Chi equal to Courage and Yin Chi equal to Self-Control, suffer one health level of bashing damage [soaked with Stamina] per two points of Chi spent, and recover one point of Chi per hour of rest or two points per hour of meditation) and Chi Healing (spend one point of Chi to heal one health level of damage or five points of Chi to heal one health level of aggravated damage).

-Lethal Soak and a Stamina (difficulty 9) roll to avoid death when you suffer lethal damage beyond Incapacitated (takes aggravated damage from fire and supernatural attacks).

What do you think?

Keep in mind a lot of chars that SEE themselves this way, wind up on first teams.

Comment

Technical quibble: dhampyrs can only use social rites of the Hungry Dead. Not being actual Hungry Dead, any supernatural effects fail to occur.

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
      Keep in mind a lot of chars that SEE themselves this way, wind up on first teams.
      That's not the typical pool for recruitment. Judging from character bios, they tend to recruit from PMCs and ex-military personnel with some kind of encounter with werewolves or some other monster.

Comment

I think that anyone who was an Action Hero would be unlikely to become fomori, though they could be mercenary contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
          I think that anyone who was an Action Hero would be unlikely to become fomori, though they could be mercenary contractors.
          Why? Thematically speaking, what sort of spiritual mojo do they have that would stop them from becoming a acid-spewing member of Pentex' Finest?

Comment

First Team members aren't necessarily fomori. In fact, some units are entirely human.

Comment

Originally posted by The Laughing Stranger View Post

Why? Thematically speaking, what sort of spiritual mojo do they have that would stop them from becoming a acid-spewing member of Pentex' Finest?
              They are likely to have higher levels of Willpower, which would make them more resistant to possession, as well as probably being more willing to change problematic behaviors than normal people, which would allow them to repulse banes more easily. They would also probably be less willing to volunteer to become monsters, but that may just be my perspective.

Comment

They are likely to have higher levels of Willpower, which would make them more resistant to possession, as well as probably being more willing to change problematic behaviors than normal people, which would allow them to repulse banes more easily. They would also probably be less willing to volunteer to become monsters, but that may just be my perspective.
                High Willpower is a very minor roadblock. Up to Willpower 9 (since that's just the Charm dif) is still relatively easy to possess. And that's 99.5% of the population. It's just a matter of how long it will take. And nearly none of those people are going to have spiritual defenses so they're just kind of screwed even if the Bane only gets 1 success (6 hours). Volunteering is completely unnecessary.

High Willpower has little to do with changing "problematic behavior". Especially in WtA, you can and will have plenty of high Willpower mortals that are complete an utter monsters (while still being human).

Comment

In Possessed, you resist permanent possession with Willpower.

Comment

I'm not any expert in the matter, but I think that at least the Pentex would prefer to not turn expert personnel of any kind into Fomors. Not out of any special resistance, but simply because the transformation is more likely to randomly impair their abilities than make them better. And, you know, they're experts, probably they are useful without need to become a Fomor.

A good expert could, though, help by training suitable Fomors. That's a threat.

Eu prefiro ser essa metamorfose ambulante,
                    Do que ter aquela velha opinião formada sobre tudo,
                    Sobre o que é o amor, sobre que eu nem sei quem sou.
                    É chato chegar a um objetivo num instante,
                    Eu prefiro ser essa metamorfose ambulante.

Comment

In Possessed, you resist permanent possession with Willpower.
                      I will check it out when I get home and have access to that book, but having rechecked the pdf for the Core (W20), it mentions no such thing. Willpower is just the dif for the Bane's Gnosis roll.
                      Would it be possible for you to quote that section of Possessed on here?

Comment

Working...
                      X