Alternatives to the Week of Nightmares

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to the Week of Nightmares

i ran the scenario in pretty much every major game. so my players know it by hand..i was thinking about the following. "Is there some way to trigger the events of the Week of Nightmares in a different way"?
    what would you suggest?

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
    ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
    Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
    Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

Rank 9 BSD attacks a tribal totem, causing havoc with a werewolf tribe, SoE and Dreamspeakers take on the role the Tech's did.

Comment

In general you need a sufficiently powerful being or group to equate that which can cause the destruction and death (and have a reason to). You can assume the Technocracy is always one of the Likely Opponents.

For Vampire the Masquerade you could easily have a different Antediluvian or possibly even a sufficiently old Methuselah go on the rampage. Here are some other candidates I think would be good equivalents for [Ravnos].
      • Troile (diablerist of the original Brujah Antediluvian) and Moloch (one of the 4th Gen. progenitors of the Baali) - Are in torpor beneath the salted earth of Carthage. It's implied by the Tophet Well possibly becoming active again that they may not be in torpor for long. The rampage could either be Moloch seeking a suitable violent sacrifice to keep the imminent awakening of a Child of the Outer Dark from occurring or simply a hunger frenzy of two immensely potent beings who entered torpor under extreme duress.
        • Region - North Africa, Middle East
        • Reason - Destructive sacrifice or Frenzy
        • Likely Opponents - Ahl-i-Batin, Celestial Chorus, Silent Striders, Bastet, Ajaba, Followers of Set, Ashirra, Assamites
      • Malkav - Fountains of Bright Crimson make it clear that Malkav sleeps somewhere beneath or near Jerusalem. A wave of destructive violence like swept through in 1099 could be a precursor to the mad ones awakening.
        • Region - Middle East
        • Reason - Insanity
        • Likely Opponents - Ahl-i-Batin, Celestial Chorus, Silent Striders, Followers of Set, Ashirra, Assamites
      • Augustus Giovanni - Finally wanting to bring about the Endless Night, Augustus decides that the final piece to breaking the Shroud is a massive amount of death to overwhelm the barrier between living and dead. So he (and possibly some other ranking Giovanni) go on a rampage to cause the requisite sacrifice in a suitably short time while the bulk of the clan in Italy focuses on the ritual itself
        • Region - Italy
        • Reason - Ritual sacrifice in an attempt to destroy the Shroud
        • Likely Opponents - Euthanatos, Celestial Chorus, Order of Hermes, Glass Walkers, Gurahl sleeping in the Alps, Lasombra, Nosferatu
      • Saulot (assuming he is evil) - Saulot seeks to become the Demon Emperor of the Sixth Age. His studies have shown him the strange realms of Yomi and he has some measure of knowledge of how the Broken Mirrors work. He decides to attempt to usher in this age and take his place at its head by creating a massive Broken Mirror through death in the middle of the realm of his foes.
        • Region - Asia (likely China)
        • Reason - To become Demon Emperor
        • Likely Opponents - The Kuei-jin (especially Quincunx), the Hengeyokai (Beast Courts), Gangrel (Anda), Tremere, Dalou'laoshi (Five Elemental Dragons assuming they are separate from the Technocracy), Wu Lung, Wu Keng
      • Baba Yaga - Many feel Nights of Prophecy did not do proper justice to the destruction of the Iron Hag. A giant battle between opposing groups of Garou, Vampires, Mages, and other stranger in the frosts of Russia would be a suitably epic end.
        • Region - Former USSR (especially Russia itself)
        • Reason - A coalition attacking her hoping to drop the Shadow Curtain and end the Iron Hag's dominance
        • Likely Opponents - Tzimisce, Nosferatu, Nictuku, Tremere, Silver Fangs, Shadow Lords, Bone Gnawers, Celestial Chorus, Dreamspeakers, Verbena
      • The Cathedral of Flesh - This giant conglomeration supposedly diablerized the Methuselah Yorak. What if the Methuselah was not as dead as it seemed. Perhaps Yorak was subsumed into the hive mind of the Cathedral and slowly over the centuries gained dominance. Now the Cathedral is under the direct control of the Methuselah and has grown strong after consuming it and the Baali of Deva.
        • Region - Eastern Europe
        • Reason - Twisted mind of a diablerized Metamorphosist
        • Likely Opponents - Tzimisce, Nosferatu, Tremere, Silver Fangs, Shadow Lords, Bone Gnawers, Celestial Chorus, Dreamspeakers, Verbena
      • Nergal/Huitzilopochtli - Take out the silliness of Samuel Haight and the tiny village it is supposed to take place in, and the idea of an ancient Baali Methuselah finally performing the sacrifice to activate the level 9 power of Daimoinon is terrifying.
        • Region - Mexico
        • Reason - Sacrifice to activate Daimoinon 9 Call the Great Beast
        • Likely Opponents - Sabbat, Dreamspeakers, Celestial Chorus, Bone Gnawers, Uktena, Get of Fenris
      • Kartarirya - A Tzimisce 4th Gen. which traveled to India and assumed the form of a multi-armed war goddess. Awakens from torpor and goes on a rampage very similar to [Ravnos].
        • Region - India
        • Reason - Frenzy or Acting as a destructive war goddess
        • Likely Opponents - Ravnos, Danava, , Kuei-jin (Infinite Thunders Courts), Red Talons, Bone Gnawers, Nagah, Mokole (Makara stream), Bastet (Bagheera, Khan) Euthanatos, Cult of Ecstasy, Order of Hermes, Dreamspeaker, Verbena
      Werewolf as mentioned above any suitably powerful Black Spiral Pack could cause the destruction necessary and have ample reason.
      • Storm Eater - The binding that occurred in 1890 fails allowing the Bane (now merged with a Weaver spirit) to resume its destructive trail across western North America.
        • Region - Western North America
        • Reason - Bane behavior
        • Likely Opponents - Uktena, Wendigo, Nuwisha, Anarchs, Dreamspeakers, Verbena, Cult of Ecstacy
      • Zmei - Any of the dragons could do this, perhaps replacing Baba Yaga after her demise (if you go with the events of Nights of Prophecy)
        • Region - Former USSR (especially Russia itself)
        • Reason - Devotion to the destructive Wyrm
        • Likely Opponents - Tzimisce, Nosferatu, Nictuku, Tremere, Silver Fangs, Shadow Lords, Bone Gnawers, Celestial Chorus, Dreamspeakers, Verbena
      • Urge Wyrms - Any of these thought entities could trigger the event through mental control/manipulation of appropriate physical entities (likely Black Spiral Dancers or Wyrm worshipping Nephandi)
        • Region - Any
        • Reason - Their embodied sin/emotion
        • Likely Opponents - As appropriate for the region, given the spiritual nature Dreamspeakers regardless of the region
      • Zhyzhak - The Chosen of the Green Dragon who resides in a caern within the Thunderwyrm, Grammaw, could choose to go on a rampage wherever the voices tell her to or her finally attacking the Last Gaian Kin Jonas Albrecht
        • Region - Any
        • Reason - The voices of the Green Dragon or to kill the Last Gaian King
        • Likely Opponents - As appropriate to the region as well as Silver Fangs
      Mage while any Master/Archmaster could have the power it would be most likely a Nephandi or Marauder have the reason.
      • Jodi Blake - Her dark masters command her to provide a sacrifice of death and she obliges or perhaps her own twisted desires lead her to a rampage of death and destruction.
        • Region - Las Vegas and western US
        • Reason - The command of her dark masters, or her own twisted pleasures.
        • Likely Opponents - Camarilla of Las Vegas, Giovanni, Anarchs, Ravnos, Bone Gnawers, Glass Walkers, Uktena, Ratkin, Nuwisha, Any Tradition (especially Cult of Ecstasy, Virtual Adepts, Dreamspeakers, Verbena)
      • Voormas - The Grand Harvester of Souls has decided to finally destroy the Wheel of Ages and seeks death to power a ritual to do just that.
        • Region - India
        • Reason - To power a ritual to break the Wheel of Ages
        • Likely Opponents - Ravnos, Danava, Kartarirya (a torpid Tzimisce 4th Gen which could awaken and trigger or add to the event), Kuei-jin (Infinite Thunders Courts), Red Talons, Bone Gnawers, Nagah, Mokole (Makara stream), Bastet (Bagheera, Khan) Euthanatos, Cult of Ecstasy, Order of Hermes, Dreamspeaker, Verbena

Comment

As the Week of Nightmares almost destroyed the Ravnos, and did it as a society, an alternative could be based on the end of a not-so-peripheral group. Maybe more than one. Just pick a major faction that the PCs don't have too strong ties, and get rid of it with great dramatic effects. The Fall of a Tribe, in Apocalypse, can be used here.

Eu prefiro ser essa metamorfose ambulante,
        Do que ter aquela velha opinião formada sobre tudo,
        Sobre o que é o amor, sobre que eu nem sei quem sou.
        É chato chegar a um objetivo num instante,
        Eu prefiro ser essa metamorfose ambulante.

Comment

Originally posted by Crowley View Post
          i ran the scenario in pretty much every major game. so my players know it by hand..i was thinking about the following. "Is there some way to trigger the events of the Week of Nightmares in a different way"?
          what would you suggest?
          Have the players notice the signs that his coming is nigh, and then surprise them by just having him wake up.

He can purge the Clan Cappadocian style, or just rally them against the KJ. Leading them into battle, siring childer, and in general throwing his weight around in the Jyhad.

Comment

What do you consider necissary for the week of Nightmares? the Destruction of the Ravnos? A clan In general? The Avatar Storm? The Sixth Great Maelstrom? D:TF Demons running around? Reckoning HUnters? the Dark kin coming to the Autumn world?

Comment

It could be, instead of the awakening of an Ante, the awakening of Caine himself and full-fledged Gehenna just not being as destructive as some thought.

Got me thinking of the PCs just getting word that some domains are going silent, then that some major something happened at a well known domain. They are sent in to investigate, but when they arrive things are already far more calm. There are fewer vampires, people talk little about what happened. When the PCs get answers, it is that some fearsome elders just came, created a lot of distress, killed a lot of Kindred seemingly at random, Embraced some new ones that seem as low gen as they are green, and left.

The PCs go from domain to domain just to find the aftermaths of battles between Antes and Caine himself, maybe even witness one, and those guys aren't killing everyone, but killing whomever they see fit. And that's it. When they return to their own home, Gehenna just happened and left the remains of Cainite society for them.

Comment

what kind of event could wake the Demons from their Slumber?

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
                ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
                Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
                Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

Comment

what kind of event could wake the Demons from their Slumber?
                  That could be hinged entirely on the Wraith line, with little input from the others. The Spirit Nukes going off can be the catalyst for the DtF line.

Comment

The Red Star can do it without any further explanation, and be linked to any line.

Most other great things, like Antes, Incarnae, Archmages, Dream Dragons and such can do it by accident.

Also not-so-powerful things can do it, on purpose or by accident, through exceptional ritae or chains of events, like the original WoN.

Finally, the weakening of the Gates of Hell can be a thing by itself, and the very trigger of the WoN. It doesn't have to be consequence, can be cause.

Comment

Originally posted by monteparnas View Post
                      The Red Star can do it without any further explanation, and be linked to any line.

Most other great things, like Antes, Incarnae, Archmages, Dream Dragons and such can do it by accident.

Also not-so-powerful things can do it, on purpose or by accident, through exceptional ritae or chains of events, like the original WoN.

Finally, the weakening of the Gates of Hell can be a thing by itself, and the very trigger of the WoN. It doesn't have to be consequence, can be cause.
                      I like it when you shoot from the hip. Good ideas, all.

A catastrophe or epidemic on earth that leaves a lot of dead or dying mortal shells to inhabit might also be a catalyst for a demonic prison break.

Comment

I just got the mental image of an outbreak of a plague. A huge chunk of population dies, and soon become host to demons. Humanity is reduced to two-thirds of its former pop, but don't even notice.

As a side, tendinitis is doing wonders to my brevity.

Comment

what would you suggest?
                          In my last Mage the Ascension game, I made the rise of the Avatar Storm (which the Revised Convention Books finally made me fall in love with as a positive thing for the setting) an unexplained occurrence. The secret truth was that in a previous alternate timeline, nuclear war unleashed a multitude of apocalypses (different paradigm scenarios simultaneously), but Archmages rewrote history with highly vulgar magic. The Avatar Storm is the paradox fallout from that, which destroyed the offending Archmages (or resulted in their transformation into spirits).

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I do not know, I just think that the Week of Nightmares was a horrible idea for the setting as it was meant to be the opening for the end of cWoD, so I avoid it in my games.

Comment

Working...
                            X