A little help of what to buy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little help of what to buy

So I've recently found some people that are playing the Storyteller system and very happy with it. The problem is that I've been out of it so long I no longer have books. I've been leeching off the group and online content but with tax season rolling around and expecting a return I think I would like to start investing in books of my own. however my situation is quite complex. To understand read the novel or just offer advice on what you consider essential to the storyteller system. Thank you for your help in advance

So we were playing Werewolf but we have reached the end of our first chronicle and are putting that game on hold to start a vampire game. Of course with new character creation I'm really feeling the itch to have a book in hand right now and if I understand the ST correctly after our Vamp chronicle we are going to have a mage section. The idea being that there are interactions between all three chronicles future chapters and what happened in the other chronicles even though they are geographically separate and have largely different supernatural makeups.

This mean I'm going to be going through all this again in 8 more months as we close out vamp to mage. Add onto that I saw that Vamp is getting a new edition next year so if I buy too heavily into this year things may change completely by the time we hit the vamp chronicle again in two years. (if the group lasts that long)

Anyway that is the circumstances and again thank you for any advice you can give.

The 20th Anniversary Edition corebooks are all very good. Vampire 5e is going to be pretty radically different from what's come before and also isn't expected to come out for a good long while; stick to the X20 stuff.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Thanks for the advice about 5e ann I was already on the core books train as a given I was more trying to find out which supplements are good starting points. For example back in the day the players guide in original vamp was a really nice addon but the clan books didn't really need to be there unless you really wanted to delve deep into that clan and so were better off waiting to be purchased as when they would be helpful/needed.

Comment

My advice - Lore of the Clans is a *very* good addition all round, especially for new players, as is Rites of Blood if your game will feature blood magic. Avoid the V20 companion, which is pretty lightweight, and add other books (Red List, Children of the Revolution, Anarchs, Hunters II, Ghouls, Black Hand) as your chronicle requires it.

Comment

I still believe that Guide to the Camarilla/Sabbat (and to a lesser extent, Anarchs) are very good to have. The powers and other crunch may have been republished in V20 but the fluff is essential to me to get a proper look into the sects

English is not my native language, so i apologize for errors in grammar or spelling.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadmiumcadamium View Post
            I still believe that Guide to the Camarilla/Sabbat (and to a lesser extent, Anarchs) are very good to have. The powers and other crunch may have been republished in V20 but the fluff is essential to me to get a proper look into the sects
            +1 to that. Accidentally V20 doesn't have books about some parts of the core fluff and your best bet is older books for that.

So, the Guides for the big sects are good, Player's Guide is good.

From V20, Lore of the Clans is a good summarized, distilled version of the clanbooks, with updated powers, so that's good too. The other V20 books are really depending on the chronicle.

If nothing worked, then let's think!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Anybody got anything on Mage as well since that is the next bit and having a good grounding beforehand couldn't hurt

Comment

For Mage M20 is such a massive tome that you hardly need anything else to get started, its overwhelming. How Do You Do That? helps to clarify and summarise many core magical acts and is basically indispensable. If you really need more, its best to stick to your chronicle needs. The two guides to the Technocracy and Traditions are both good. The Book of Madness is also very useful. Also, figure out where your Mage chronicle stands regarding metaplot and the various editions of Mage (M20 explains this in specific details). This will help you figure out whether 1st, 2nd or revised edition supplements are better for you. On the whole though, revised edition Tradition books are better than the 1st'/2nd edition ones. The Convention books are also very good and worth it for almost any chronicle.

Comment

Agreeing with deejay . M20 differs from the other two X20s that it does contain a lot of fluff and even multiple possible metaplot and rules variants. So, for starters, that and HDYDT is fairly enough. After that, again, agree, it depends on the chronicle.

Things like the Player's Guide are good for additional fluff, but be wary that M20 changed a quite lot of things, like how paradigms work. Also, Mage might be the game that changed the most between editions, so yes, how much you could gain from earlier books is variable.

If nothing worked, then let's think!

Comment

Working...
                  X