So. The World of Darkness and Disease

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So. The World of Darkness and Disease

i been thinking about diseases such as Cancer, HIV and so on..i been curious how does the supernatural reacts to it?. it would be easier to develop a supernatural cure to such sickness (not to heal the whole planet for one subject?)

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
    ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
    Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
    Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

They'd still have to take it seriously, as the capacity to heal such maladies is going to be time-consuming and/or resource intensive, as well as,typically rather rare. Vampires that care about the Masquerade will be particularly concerned with blood-vectored diseases, since they can spread them far and wide with careless feeding practices, and thus leave a fairly wide trail; canonically, there was an HIV flareup investigated by the CDC that started like that in the original Hunter's Hunted.

Comment

what about cancer or HIV in the Mage or Werewolves communities?

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
      ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
      Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
      Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

Comment

Read the Prologue of the Syndicate convention book (revised)

Comment

Originally posted by Crowley View Post
          what about cancer or HIV in the Mage or Werewolves communities?
          The answer to anything and everything in Mage is Magick. They can cure said diseases with Magick.

Werewolves are immune to (non supernatural) diseases due to their Regeneration. Kinfolk are just as susceptible as normal folk, but there are mystic ways their Garou brethren could go about healing them if it's worth it/necessary (i.e. not something to be done for every kinfolk since it would involve asking/repaying spirits to help).

Comment

I could have sworn one of the Vampire books said Vampires didn't suffer from HIV but could carry and transmit it. It makes sense given the latency period that even they would have a hard time knowing if they were carriers.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

I think that they can kill off HIV in their systems if they starve themselves and go into torpor (if there is nothing for the virus to live in, it would die), but I do not remember anything official on that subject. The majority of carriers are not that selfless, however, and are willing to transmit the diseases they carry without regard for basic hygiene.

Comment

HIV is relatively fragile outside the living human body, so I imagine altering one's conditions to be as far from that as possible (say, hanging out in a meat locker so that one's internal body temperature was just above freezing for a few hours, or spending the night in a sauna) would do the trick. Smallpox, on the other hand, might be pretty difficult to get rid of...

Comment

Originally posted by Crowley View Post
                  i been thinking about diseases such as Cancer, HIV and so on..i been curious how does the supernatural reacts to it?. it would be easier to develop a supernatural cure to such sickness (not to heal the whole planet for one subject?)
                  Werewolves and vampires are imune to mundane diseases. Mages can get any of them. But can get better with Life 2 or Entropy 4.

I also remember seeing vampires being imune to HIV, but being vectors to it. It's somewhere on the second editiion, if I'm not mistaken, I guess.

For Mages, since it's easy to heal, the problem they may face are diseases caused by Paradox, or created by other supernaturals. Those are harder to deal with.

But an orphan without life and that have no contact with other Mages, could easily die from a stupid infection without peniciline

Comment

Ananasi are another exception. They lack the disease immunity of werewolfs but are able to heal diseases by using blood (the amount needed depends on the severity of the disease). Also I'd guess they are as prone to spreading blood-carried diseases as vampires are.

Comment

Originally posted by Hexer View Post
                      Ananasi are another exception. They lack the disease immunity of werewolfs but are able to heal diseases by using blood (the amount needed depends on the severity of the disease). Also I'd guess they are as prone to spreadinge blood-carried diseases as vampires are.
                      Eh. A bit less prone I would think since their bodies can kill off the disease if they're willing to spend the blood for it.

Comment

Originally posted by idpersona View Post
                        Eh. A bit less prone I would think since their bodies can kill off the disease if they're willing to spend the blood for it.
                        well, true! As I said they can heal by using blood so probably would only be prone to spreading such a disease while still unaware of it themselves or when doing so intentionally. I think this could be a perfectly fine way of fighting in the mind of some Ananasi.

Comment

I think changellings are also vulnerable huh? That one I'm not sure... Would it be too banal for them?

Comment

Originally posted by Hexer View Post
                            well, true! As I said they can heal by using blood so probably would only be prone to spreading such a disease while still unaware of it themselves or when doing so intentionally. I think this could be a perfectly fine way of fighting in the mind of some Ananasi.
                            Agreed. It's actually an interesting kill tactic for an Ananasi. And death by disease will probably be blamed on someone else.
                            Originally posted by Karlgust View Post
                            I think changellings are also vulnerable huh? That one I'm not sure... Would it be too banal for them?
                            Changelings should be completely vulnerable to diseases. System-wise (currently) none of their Arts directly do anything to cure them.

Arguably, you could use the right Realm to either command (Sovereign) or Teleport (Wayfare) the disease away though if your ST allows it. Using Changeling Arts can be as much about creativity as Mage Spheres.

Comment

Changeling are vulnerable to disease, but they do have magic, access to the cures of the Dreaming, and access to the Freeholds. The Freehold prevent death by disease and washes away the disease over time (the exact mechanics are vague).

Comment

Working...
                              X